Basic Account

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

why is that the basic account holders get the short end of the stick in SL.linden labs changes things on the website to help themselves,not the basic account holder.i tried submitting a ticket for an issue i am having and there was no place to put it.if us basic account holders had access to live chat or a phone number for tech support it would be so nice.i have been unable to get anything done for four days now,all i get is check this check that,look in here...i am getting tired of looking everywhere because there are no answers for my login problem.i get told to log in under a different account..done it.try a different viewer,done it.try logging in to another location,done it...i even cleared cache in my viewer and on my pc.didnt work.i also tried turning my router ooff,over night and attempted to login the next day,nothing.here is what i am getting.."We're having trouble connecting.There may be a problem with your internet or the secondlife servers.you can either check your internet connection and try again in a few minutes,click help to connect to our support site,or click teleport to teleport home." at the bottom of the message popup it says Ok,Help,Teleport"...when i first got into sl i could submit a ticket for this easily,now i cant

Mathias Moonites wrote:

Why is that the basic account holders get the short end of the stick in SL ? Linden labs changes things on the website to help themselves,not the basic account holder.

I tried submitting a ticket for an issue I am having and there was no place to put it. If us basic account holders had access to live chat or a phone number for tech support it would be so nice. I have been unable to get anything done for four days now,all i get is check this check that,look in here... I am getting tired of looking everywhere because there are no answers for my login problem.

I get told to log in under a different account..done it. Try a different viewer,done it. Try logging in to another location,done it... I even cleared cache in my viewer and on my pc. Didnt work. I also tried turning my router off over night and attempted to login the next day,nothing.

Here is what i am getting : "We're having trouble connecting.There may be a problem with your internet or the secondlife servers.you can either check your internet connection and try again in a few minutes,click help to connect to our support site,or click teleport to teleport home."

At the bottom of the message popup it says : Ok, Help,Teleport...

When I first got into sl I could submit a ticket for this easily . Now I  can't.

I rearranged your text to get clear what actually is what you are stating. Took me time yet I don't mind to do so for clarity's sake.

You are frustrated by failures of you connecting to SL and expect support of some kind. I can understand that. Bare in mind though you are posting this in the Off Topic section of the forum of SL for users, so basically. only users will reply to you here. I cannot help you with filing tickets since I'm a basic (free) account myself.

We can work several ways here . I can leave you alone in the supposition you only needed to vent. I could tell you to get to Answers instead of asking in here. I could also give you hints like you have heard before. You said you 'done it' or 'them' all, yet you don't parse results of those actions. I could also fire more questions at you like a support desk employée which will only irritate you.

In short : what is it exactly what you want achieved here ? If you only wanted to vent, you did. If you seek assistance from other users you'll have to be more specific to and detailed about your situation so others might try to help you.

ok.i was told to try and login to a different account,i did and got the same message as i got on mathias.i was told to log on a different viewer...so i deleted the viewer i had and downloaded a different one,i still got the same message.then i was told try logging into a different location,still the same message.i thought,maybe refomatt,that didnt help.

i have talked to the billing support in hopes that they could steer me in a direction.but was told to go to jira or try a different viewer or new location,not much help there.i am not trying to vent,but i see no point in posting somewhere when no one else knows the answer to my question.i have posted in the same question in different areas,this is about the only place someone has even said anything.

i have posted in technical and answers and others,but still no fix for my problem.i would like to log into sl again,but at this rate i dont see that happening anytime soon.

That kind of connection issue is typically some form of Internet connection issue. Obviously you can pull up webpages and post here, so at least the physical connection is working.

One very common issue are "Personal Firewalls" or "Internet Security Suites". Basically, SL needs incoming and outgoing connections to work on specific ports. Here is some official Linden Lab documentation on that topic; http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Firewall_Configuration

Depending on your operating system you may have a Firewall as well.

More rare are hardware Firewalls, at least in a home environment. Universities and schools often have them. If you connect to the Internet through any third party like that, verify that they're not blocking SL. Since SL is a traffic hogging pig some places do block it. If you do connect through a home router like the common Linksys/Cisco/Netgear routers you should be fine.

Then there is parental control software. I'd bet against that, just wanted to mention it.

There's a few other things that could be wrong, though these probably cover the basics.

If you do have any software firewalls/security suites, try turning them off and see if SL connects. If it does, you know where to look. Just remember to turn the software back on after the test. Most software suites allow you to allow specific programs full access, but you'll likely have to re-enter the exception every time SL has a software update.

Firstly read Jenni's excellent post closely concerning your network ( which was a homenetwork I believe ?) and firewall / port - settings.

And before I (or anybody else here ) proceed(s) to assist you, let us know as much about your situation as possible.

• Specifications of your machine. ( CPU and graphics )
  • Networking. Wireless ?  1 router only ? Do you know how to configure ports like Jenni's post suggested ?
  • Choice of viewer ?
  • Are the location of cache of your viewers in seperate folders ? 
  • Did you check your logfiles of SL for errors ? What's exactly in your logfiles ?
  • I recall you saying that logging in for you started to become troublesome since 4 days. Did anything change in your environment ? Perhaps updates of any kind we are unaware of ?

Remember .. systems 'doing nothing' just hang. Eventhough your current situation prevents you from logging into SL and only give you a generic message, you need to find the details of the errors your system is experiencing. The more here we know about it, the better you can be helped.

ok..things like log files for sl i dont know where to find.as far as the viewers i have tried...Phoenix,SL Viewer,Imprudence and Emergence.all with the same result.

you asked for my cpu and graphics..

Processor AMD Turion 64 x2 Processor TL 60
Processor Speed 1.9 GHz, 1600 MHZ FSB, 1 MB Cache
Operating system Genuine Windows Vista ® Home Premium
Memory 3 GB
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 7000M
Graphics Memory Up to 896 MB Shared

i am not very computer savvy,i can use it,but some things i dont know how to do or find.i have never had this problem since i have been in sl.

i am running my laptop wireless,namely due to the fact that i keep getting unplugged from the router everyday.nothing has changed that i know of.

And regarding the issue of LL not providing support for Basic members, there's a discussion started over on this other forum thread. You might want to add something there too. The more the merrier :smileyhappy:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Community-Feedback/Customer-Technical-Support-for-Basic-Members-A-New-Idea/m-p/791695

Mathias Moonites wrote:

ok..things like log files for sl i dont know where to find.as far as the viewers i have tried...Phoenix,SL Viewer,Imprudence and Emergence.all with the same result.

you asked for my cpu and graphics..

Processor AMD Turion 64 x2 Processor TL 60
Processor Speed 1.9 GHz, 1600 MHZ FSB, 1 MB Cache
Operating system Genuine Windows Vista ® Home Premium
Memory 3 GB
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 7000M
Graphics Memory Up to 896 MB Shared

i am not very computer savvy,i can use it,but some things i dont know how to do or find.i have never had this problem since i have been in sl.

i am running my laptop wireless,namely due to the fact that i keep getting unplugged from the router everyday.nothing has changed that i know of.

Yikes! Wireless does not work very well :smileysurprised:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.