Sign in to follow this  
Saru Mukaida

Matching sculpty texture to a system texture.

Question

I assume that you mean that you're trying to match colors.  You'll never get it perfect, because colors change with the amount and angle of ambient light in SL.  Also, despite many upgrades to SL software over the years, colors on the avatar body are never perfectly matched to colors on prim objects. Try this, though.... Use your Advanced menu (CTRL-Alt-D) and select UI >> Show Color Under Cursor.  That will create (in the lower RH corner of the screen) a dynamic display of RGB color values for whatever your cursor is sitting on.  Playing with that for even a few frustrating moments will show you why it is nearly impossible to get a perfect match, but it will get you as close as you will ever get.

BTW, screaming won't give you a better match, but it makes you feel a lot better.  I do it a lot.

3 answers to this question

I assume that you mean that you're trying to match colors.  You'll never get it perfect, because colors change with the amount and angle of ambient light in SL.  Also, despite many upgrades to SL software over the years, colors on the avatar body are never perfectly matched to colors on prim objects. Try this, though.... Use your Advanced menu (CTRL-Alt-D) and select UI >> Show Color Under Cursor.  That will create (in the lower RH corner of the screen) a dynamic display of RGB color values for whatever your cursor is sitting on.  Playing with that for even a few frustrating moments will show you why it is nearly impossible to get a perfect match, but it will get you as close as you will ever get.

BTW, screaming won't give you a better match, but it makes you feel a lot better.  I do it a lot.

Baked textures always come up darker, sometimes you can get a better match if you adjust the texture outside of SL and upload it rather than tinting it on the prim.

I think what you mean are the seams between sculpted clothing parts and the avatar body, due to the shading of the prims. (Mismatching color is also an issue, but if you use the same texture on both avatar and sculpts, you usually get a pretty good match under all lighting conditions. This is mostly a problem with tinted prims).

You can minimize seams by altering the angle in which the sculpt prim surface meets the avatar mesh. Let's take a sculpted sleeve for example. Many sleeves look something like this:

sleeve1.jpg

The rounded end towards the elbow is bound to create visible seams as in this exaggerated example:

sleeve2.jpg

If you instead sculpt the sleeve with a pointier end, the part of its surface that blends into the avatar arm will be almost level with the avatar mesh, and the shading will look almost the same:

sleeve3.jpg

You will never be able to avoid seams completely though, unless you switch to a bright Windlight setting that eliminates all shadows. Of course that will only fix things on your own screen.

• Like 2