making a see-through lace on mesh clothes

kalliopi Ziplon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello i would like to ask 2 things 

1)

how can I apply to a mesh full perm clothes item a see-through lace so I can make it look like an underwear sexy item and to look good? What technic shall I use? Is there a tutorial I can find on this? I want the skin to be shown under the mesh item I will apply the see-through lace fabric but do I only cut the shadow map where I want to apply it and save it as png? Or do I do it jpg and then lower the mesh item transparence? or is it another way?

2)

Hello I need some help if anyone knows: In some full perm items for clothes, when I use a transparent background (even parts irrelevant to the clothes) and apply it on the item the item gets meshed up with random holies and such. Any idea why? Because I want to texture some items with see-through lace and I cannot    

There are many parts (difficulties) to this question.

While it is "possible" to add a texture with transparency to a full perm mesh item, it often doesn't work simply because the garment wasn't designed to take a transparent texture. (If you want to wade through the technical part you could look up "phong" in these forums.)

Even when the texture will apply correctly -- and I have seen many instances where designers using templates just decided the triangles really didn't matter (?!?!?!?) -- there is a problem with fit. The garment needs to be rigged perfectly -- typically for the various bodies. Even THEN the garment won't work for everyone.

I can testify to this as I try on lots of clothes that attempt to do this transparency but don't do it well. The ones that DO work are most often made as original mesh by folks that REALLY know what the are doing.

The other option would be something that has a fair amount of "air" naturally between body and garment (like a tent dress).   Note that the vendor photos might look good because of a SPECIFIC pose and really not work well at all in world when you are moving and walking.

That's all I know. Don't make clothes, but a blogger with about 5000 posts and LOTS of fashion photos *wink*.

Good luck!

PS. I thought of one possible work around in general. For example the leggings with the cut outs?  They might actually be an APPLIER layer worn under the leather leggings. You could actually do that with the dress also. Folks with legacy bodies would have an underwear layer for example. Just a thought. Not about the photo you showed though :D.

The alpha glitching is happening because of the transparency, clearly as you stated. To remove the glitching, you have one of two options (that I know of).

First is to reupload the texture in a flattened format, either using your image editing program, or by changing the save file to a jpg.

The second option isn't easier, but more viable monetarily. Start by editing the object in your SL window, select faces, then change each face from alpha blending to alpha masking, and slide that ticker up to 1 ,or more if there are actual incidental transparencies you want to show up, like the lace described, until either the transparencies are gone or you get the look you are going for.

Best of luck!

I have the impression you used 1 texture face for the complete coat. Perhaps as a starter you might consider to use 2 since you only need a small part to be alpha. 

I ran mostly in this kind of problems where 2 alpha faces are pretty close to each other as with glasses, bottles etc.

Since you have a none alpha avi in between it might be a solution to get around this. 

Good luck

If you need to apply a transparent texture to a mesh, what usually works is to use two sided mesh where each of the sides have different materials assigned to them in the modeller. You can then apply the same texture to each side for the in-world model.

It works OK for items like drinking glasses, lace curtians etc. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.