Destinations category thumbnails looks a bit outdated

lucagrabacr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know it's a pretty subjective personal opinion but I think an update to them would be nice. Like, it's one of the things that new residents usually check when they got inworld, but the thumbnails looks kind of outdated and they just don't seem to reflect / represent SL's current graphical fidelity / limitations at all.

Just a thought :)

Well, since those snapshots are submitted by the persons who suggest inclusion in the Destination Guide ("In some cases, Linden Lab editors may re-shoot images to improve visual clarity or composition, but we strongly prefer you submit quality images to begin with.")... I'd say it's on them, wouldn't you?

P.S. People can also email "update requests to existing entries" to the LL editors.

There seem to be several disjoint sets of "destinations" that appear in different places at different times. I too have noticed that one of them is stuck in an ancient timewarp, presenting for example a certain notoriously foul fowl, progenitor of the breedable plague, as if that bird were still a thing, among other destinations that may once have been of interest. It's quaint, but not charming, more a memento mori, and thus a bit too on-point for Second Life.

Y'know, I can't figure out how it works. I'm pretty sure Destination content doesn't all last forever because the railroad group of which I'm a member has been on and off over the years. (Or maybe somebody pushed us off -- there was once such drahma between rail groups that anything could have happened. Anyway, we came and went, although the location we submitted is still very much owned and listed in Search.)

Hmm... inspecting further, I see that we used "Newcomer Friendly" as the search category in About Land -- which is true enough but maybe misleading -- which got me looking at the "Newcomer Friendly" category of Destinations, and realized that's unrelated to the "Newcomer Friendly" category in "Places" Search which must be what's affected by About Land / Options. This all seems as if it could be simplified.

Incidentally, I think now that I was wrong about there being disjoint sets of Destinations. Or, rather, there are distinct categories, and the viewer splash screen selects "What's Hot Now" apparently from among all those categories by some inscrutable criterion. Or something unrelated to the "Popular Places" category, anyway. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.