Bron Violet

best laptop for secondlife

Question

Really, there is no best laptop for SL. Most average Desktop PCs do a better job for half the money.

If you really need a laptop, get a decent one with separate graphics, no build in gfx card!

Enough RAM and a fast processor, good keyboard - SL is alot about typing.

Doesn´t need a wide-screen but a big screen is a nice thing.

Monti

• Like 3

What about the HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15.6", Intel Core i5-9300H, NVIDIA GTX 1050 ... was googling and found a list of top 9 laptops for sl and it was on there but wanted a second opinion 

8 hours ago, Halie Oh said:

What about the HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15.6", Intel Core i5-9300H, NVIDIA GTX 1050 ... was googling and found a list of top 9 laptops for sl and it was on there but wanted a second opinion 

It’ll work just fine for SL. Note it has HD630 ad well as the mobile 1050, make sure you disable either gpu swapping or just turn off the integrated graphics in the Intel igp control panel when playing SL.

it might try and use the HD630 instead of the 1050, it’s designed to swap between them to lower power usage but isn’t always perfect with what applications trigger that swap 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cheesecurd said:

make sure you disable either gpu swapping or just turn off the integrated graphics in the Intel igp control panel

modern machines only need to right click the icon and choose the gp to execute it with, also mostly directly can change the prefered setting, really never experienced swap unless a new viewer was installed.

16 hours ago, cheesecurd said:

It’ll work just fine for SL. Note it has HD630 ad well as the mobile 1050, make sure you disable either gpu swapping or just turn off the integrated graphics in the Intel igp control panel when playing SL.

it might try and use the HD630 instead of the 1050, it’s designed to swap between them to lower power usage but isn’t always perfect with what applications trigger that swap 

Thanks!!! I thought it might but wasnt sure because everyone told me it was a very low end beginner gaming computer and couldn't handle sl.. i was wondering if they were telling the truth or of course being sales ppl just wanted to sell me on the pricer computer lol.  I so wish there was a cheaper option then this $650 option but i havent yet found one :/

On 6/22/2018 at 6:13 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

Hi, I wonder if you could revisit this issue and just give one answer: one is the CURRENT cheapest yet functioning laptop. That could be bought off the shelf at Best Buy, without having to buy a separate graphics card and have it installed, etc. etc. Just off the shelf cheapest best option for a laptop that plays SL enough at least to do some basic group and land functions while traveling.

Agree with prokofy... this would be awesome and most helpful. 

11 hours ago, Halie Oh said:

It would be...but the problem is that there IS no single correct answer to this question.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It would be...but the problem is that there IS no single correct answer to this question.

And yesterday's correct answer is already obsolete today.  I have a lovely Acer Aspire laptop that I bought a year and a half ago that is still quite good but is no longer top of the line by any means.  I get along quite well with it, bit I wouldn't recommend it as the current best option. 

15 hours ago, Halie Oh said:

If you can install Linux, this is the best price to performance option as of February 2020:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-14-Laptop-AMD-Ryzen-3-3200U-4GB-SDRAM-128GB-SSD-Whisper-Silver-14-dk0028wm/295012351

-Ryzen 3 3200u APU

-4gb of some probably pretty slow ddr4

-128gb M.2 SSD at least 

-1366x768 but not a garbage TN panel at least

-250$ brand new and sometimes cheaper 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06401077#AbT0
Downsides are that it only has 4gb of ram and can’t be upgraded to anything beyond that. So you need to ditch windows 10, because it’s just such an unbelievably bloated OS with its ram usage that at best right now with tweaks you can maybe bring that idle down to 2gb.  That’s just not enough memory for any multitasking. You can run SL on 2gb of free ram and just hit swap sometimes, but it depends on where you go, how many people are around, how big your inventory is, etc. There’s also a portion of that memory dedicated to the APU, it doesn’t have its own dedicated memory, it shares system memory. Meaning in SL you’ll probably top out around 1gb of ram left over for the actual client, which means you’ll hit swap pretty hard. 
However if you stick Linux on this, running something light like Lubuntu can bring that idle ram usage down to under 300mb, leaving plenty for the APU and client to run without issue.

Thats the overall best, if you can’t use Linux then your 2nd best choice is this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Ideapad-S340-15-6-Laptop-Windows-10-AMD-Ryzen-5-3500U-Quad-Core-Processor-8GB-Memory-128GB-Storage-Abyss-Blue-81NC00BGUS/177084242

Which is just one step up for the APU and ram, with a 3500u and 8gb of ddr4 instead of a 3200u and 4gb. This is 380$ however.

Lastly if you have almost no money, buy a Thinkpad T420 off of eBay for 100$ and play SL on that. Itll run ok enough, don’t expect miracles. Look for local auctions because the sandy bridge thinkpads hit a price floor and won’t go under 100$ in ready to use condition. But locally you might be able to snag one for under 70$

On 8/19/2016 at 4:31 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

Everyone has there own ideas as to what is good machine for running Second Life. Some of those people will have perfernces like yours. But, without knowing what you prefer we have no idea what is a good laptop for you.

There are decent laptops that run SL for US$400-$600 but....

If you don't mind running SL at minimum settings and 20 Frames per Second, cheap latops will do fine. Desktops will perform better for usually less money. But, Dell and others are selling new but old tech Core2 machines. You have to pay attention to what they are advertising.

Intel builds graphics processing into its CPU's. If you are into simple gaming, meaning you aren't overclocking, needing 100 FPS, VR, plugging into a 144hz monitor... then the Intel CPU will get you by quit nicely. Expect to run on medium to low graphics.

Intel CPU's come in i3, i5, and i7 models. There are 6 generations of each model. The 6th is the most recent and the most costly. Be sure you know what you are buying as some merchants will try to sell 4th gen CPU's at 6th gen prices.

The graphics the CPU has built in is also related to the generation. You want HD graphics: Iris. The HD numbering is confusing. The SL Sys Requirements say chip set 945... If you want to try and decode all that look here for help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units Anything that came out after the 945 set is usuable. The newer the better.

I suggest you focus on getting a 6th gen CPU and it will have the best graphics available via CPU. A 5th gen will be cheaper and probably good enough graphics-wise.

The i3 CPU will work OK. It is on the light side. The i5 is usually the best for the money and works well with SL. The i7 has the most horse power and costs the most. 5th gen chips are also better priced. 

You'll find laptops have CPU's named i5-####M (#=number). The M just says it it is designed to save power, which generally means it runs slower than its brothers with no letter or other letters. There are other letters for suffixes. K is about overclocking and tends to be a more expensive chip. You can use the i5-#### ID to Google for the genration the CPU belongs to.

When you use HD Graphics the system uses computer RAM for Video RAM.  This means you need more RAM. I would consider 8GB a minimum for HD Graphics machines. But, I have a laptop that does OK on medium graphics with HD and 4GB.

Memory comes in DDR2, 3, and 4 for use with 5th and 6th gen CPU's. DDR4 is generally expensive but, slow DDR4 isn't badly priced. But, 3 and especially 2 is getting very cheap.

If you can, get a laptop with a dedicated graphics processor. In Laptops these are usually a chip welded to the motherboard. There is a change going on in the graphics world in regard to Vulkan and OpenGL, the graphics engines that draw the game on screen. OpenGL is what SL uses. AMD is focused on next gen Vulkan and not fixing problems in their current OpenGL drivers. They are unlikely to ever fix those problems. This pushes most SL users toward using NVIDIA.

NVIDIA has just released (August 2016) their GTX 1060, 1070, 1080, and Titan-X. So, prices on the 900 series cards/chips are dropping but, slowly. If you want to do VR the 10 series is what you want.

All of these choices get complex and changes whether you run  on LOW graphics at 30fps or HIGH at 30fps... 

Without knowing how you like to see SL, we are clueless as to what you should get. Spend $400 or $3,000? The decision is budget and personal preference.

Hi, I wonder if you could revisit this issue and just give one answer: one is the CURRENT cheapest yet functioning laptop. That could be bought off the shelf at Best Buy, without having to buy a separate graphics card and have it installed, etc. etc. Just off the shelf cheapest best option for a laptop that plays SL enough at least to do some basic group and land functions while traveling.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i wonder too... why on earth re-start a 2016 thread ...

Because the question hasn't been answered and needs updating. Laughing at people who want to work with SL is pointless.