Is Second life still a thing???

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone! I am pretty new to SL! I have always been an IMVU user.. But I kinda feel like IMVU attracts the younger crowd. So I wanted to give SL a try...But everytime I come on it seems dead... Or people just don't talk? Am I missing something. lol. I would love to spend more time in SL but I don't want to invest to much effort or money into it..If it's just dead. Help please? :)

Hi and welcome to SL!

A couple things you should know up front, SL has never been very good about helping you find people. The search functions are pretty limited, but there are options.

First, open up search and look for groups relating to your interests. Join a couple with large numbers of members and give the group chat a poke. That's often the easiest way to start chatting with people, which leads to discovering where those people hang out.

Second, when looking for places you have both Search and the Destinations Guide. Now, Search results often include some Destination Guide results, but you can find a lot of places just by opening the destinations guide and looking through it. The Destinations Guide is one of your toolbar buttons.

Third, when using Search to look for places, you'll notice it gives you a "Traffic" number. The higher the number, the more people tend to be at that location throughout the day. You can also show the location on your map, the map will tell you how many people are there at that moment.

I hope that helps!

What's your question?

You're posting at secondlife.com asking if Second Life is still a thing and if people talk. It should be conclusive by now that it is a thing and that people talk. Penny gave you some good advice - why are you focussing on the flippant response instead?

Posting a Youtube link is at least 'talk'. If you're expecting useful content, maybe try and get folks to talk about something in particular? Probably something that isn't existentialism, 'cause that's hard (and to some, potentially insulting) - I'm not even sure if the refrigerator light still exists once I close the door. :P

Technically, it does but as there is a limited number of fridge lights available, the act of opening the door collapses one instance to your location, making it 'locked'. Theory has it that simultaneous opening of all extant fridge doors will lead to total collapse of the 'white goods' waveform resulting in much wailing and lamentation etc. And tofu. Possibly.

This maybe it is just me and I do not mean to be insulting ... but the name is a big red flag to me.  I don't like titles in names in general and the way that title is stated it is clear you do not role play well.  First impressions mean a lot and in world that impression would be "not worth talking with."

C'mon everybody. Entity needs a great big giant group hug. :matte-motes-smile:

There are great people of all ages in SL and a tremendous amount of creativity and generosity. There's also attitudinal drama and trolls and people who insist on seeing everything negatively and that they're always right, but that's true all over the internet. What is different for me is that I've had much more success in reducing my interaction with the latter in SL than just about anywhere else on the net. What matters most to me is how much success I've had in finding others who share interests, inspire me with their creativity and humour, encourage me in finding new ways to express my own, and are willing to share skills and knowledge.

With so many different pockets of interests and temperaments, it can be hard to find those which suit you. Probably are several around if you're willing to look, but you do have to look. If you don't put much effort in, you probably won't get much out. Money is another matter. You can spend as much or as little as you want, and when you decide you want to.

Is it a thing? It is what you make it, if you make it a thing it will be, if you don't put int he effort it probably won't. There are days I can hardly keep up with the talking, bu tthen i have gotten out and cultivated friendships and made relationships. If you are looking to just show up and have a good time plopped in your lap, you probably are going to be disappointed.

YourGoddessBri wrote:

Hello everyone! I am pretty new to SL! I have always been an IMVU user.. But I kinda feel like IMVU attracts the younger crowd. So I wanted to give SL a try...But everytime I come on it seems dead... Or people just don't talk? Am I missing something. lol. I would love to spend more time in SL but I don't want to invest to much effort or money into it..If it's just dead. Help please?
:)

There are currently 43,357 people online in SL as i write this.. I have no idea how many are online in IMVU but almost 50K says SL is a thing to me..

Hop around, open the map and go where the groups of green dots are.

mikka Luik wrote:

Technically, it does but as there is a limited number of fridge lights available, the act of opening the door collapses one instance to your location, making it 'locked'. Theory has it that simultaneous opening of all extant fridge doors will lead to total collapse of the 'white goods' waveform resulting in much wailing and lamentation etc. And tofu. Possibly.

i knew it !!!

could never proof it before. But now I know. About the tofu

it keep disappear out my fridge. ah ha !!! Is this whole evil cosmic thingy what is doing it. Like making everybody open their own fridge door same time as me. Just so it can snaffle my tofu

is a bit baffling tho. Like why it would go to all that trouble. Like if it just came for dinner like ordinary evil cosmic thingys do like normal, then I be happy to share with them. Even get more for them from the supermarket shopping

i think I leave a note in the fridge and invite them, the evil cosmic thingy) to dinner. Never know they might be able to come

assume tho that the light never like total collapse, bc they (the evil cosmic thingy) maybe not able to read in the dark, or maybe even they wont see the invite even and nothing will like ever change. About the tofu

or might be they do read the invite and get all shy and dont come anyways. Which will a pity really, and even a little bit sad. bc I like to help evil cosmic thingys to maybe somehow be a little bit less evil, and still have what they want the mostest like ever. Like tofu and that

I was going to recommend it to a friend today, but i logged in and just had a terrible experience with FPS lag.  It's not my PC either, because i can run every other game just fine with maximum graphics.  The newbie tutorial island and avatars were also bad experiences.

Me and my friends are also from IMVU, and i want them to join me, but i already know they will get frustrated due to the slow rendering and lag.  It's too bad really, because i love the customization a lot better in SL, but it's not worth leaving all our avatars and connections in imvu, until Linden Lab gets it's act together (which i doubt since they've had 12+ years to do it already).

I'm not an SL newbie either (going on 4 years i think), and this is just my opinion, but i wouldn't recommend SL to anyone in it's current state.

Another frustrating thing is the complicated avatar mess.  There's no uniformity to it.  There's default avatars, new mesh default avatars, old default avatars, fitted mesh, rigged mesh, and then mesh bodies and parts.  It's just confusing!

And it gets even more confusing when you try to find clothes.  Almost all shoes require Slink feet.  Clothes are either fitted, rigged, or mesh.  Hair and accessories are confusing too.

Anyway, i'm done ranting, but these are some of the major problems i experienced with SL after coming back to it.  I just hope some SL veterans don't think i'm hating on SL, because i'm not.  Cheers.

Personally, I am baffled how IMVU is still "a thing." I finally decided to try it out a couple months ago to see what it's all about and... there are no words for how bad this thing is. It's just a collection of chat rooms with avatars that are way less customizable and all they can do is sit on pose balls (not even walk around) in static rooms.

It might have been kind of cool in late 90's? If it had existed then which it didn't. No, this thing came out in 2004 making it already way outdated at release! and actually saying it would be cool in the late 90's is probably offensive to developers in late 90's. After all WorldsAway was released in 1995, The Realm Online in 1996, and both of those are way more advanced than IMVU.

I just think it's pretty funny that people who use IMVU have complaints about SL.

femhalf wrote:

I was going to recommend it to a friend today, but i logged in and just had a terrible experience with FPS lag.  It's not my PC either, because i can run every other game just fine with maximum graphics.  The newbie tutorial island and avatars were also bad experiences.

Ah, ye olde "i can run every other game just fine but SL lags terribly" line. Every other game, of which SL is not, is optimised to run perfectly. SL content is made by the users, you will have some that is optimised and some that has 1024x1024 textures on a button.

Me and my friends
My friends and I
are also from IMVU, and i want them to join me, but i already know they will get frustrated due to the slow rendering and lag.  It's too bad really, because i love the customization a lot better in SL, but it's not worth leaving all our avatars and connections in imvu, until Linden Lab gets it's act together (which i doubt since they've had 12+ years to do it already).

If you don't want to leave IMVU, don't.   Simple as that. If you really think IMVU has better graphics and appearance than SL though.. I have some prime swampland real estate in Florida for you.

I'm not an SL newbie either (going on 4 years i think), and this is just my opinion, but i wouldn't recommend SL to anyone in it's current state.

Ah, so this is an alt av rather than your main.. What exactly is wrong with the current state of SL?

Another frustrating thing is the complicated avatar mess.  There's no uniformity to it.  There's default avatars, new mesh default avatars, old default avatars, fitted mesh, rigged mesh, and then mesh bodies and parts.  It's just confusing!

Uh, no. You have mesh default avs from LL, that everyone will tell you to ditch and buy a real mesh av. And you have mesh avs. I have yet to see any new av wearing a system body and skin. Rigged and fitted mesh is for clothing as mesh bodies are rigged anyway.

And it gets even more confusing when you try to find clothes.  Almost all shoes require Slink feet.  Clothes are either fitted, rigged, or mesh.  Hair and accessories are confusing too.

No,  you can find shoes for all of the main mesh bodies that are out there. Fitted mesh fits standard avs, rigged mesh fits specific mesh bodies, and i really don't know what you mean by just mesh clothing. Hair and accessories haven't changed.

Anyway, i'm done ranting, but these are some of the major problems i experienced with SL after coming back to it.  I just hope some SL veterans don't think i'm hating on SL, because i'm not.  Cheers.

By problems you mean learning curve. stop driving for 4 years and then jump back in by driving during rush hour traffic.. see how easy you find it.

femhalf wrote:

Me and my friends are also from IMVU, and i want them to join me, but i already know they will get frustrated due to the slow rendering and lag.  It's too bad really, because i love the customization a lot better in SL, but it's not worth leaving all our avatars and connections in imvu, until Linden Lab gets it's act together (which i doubt since they've had 12+ years to do it already).

You said you've been in SL for 4 years - and you still don't know why SL is different to the other stuff? You're not very quick on the uptake, are you? Drake explained it to you, so I won't repeat it. I'm not sure that two repetitions will actually get through to you. Your best bet is to stay in your IMVU chatroom, where you don't need to understand things.

YourGoddessBri wrote:

Is Second life still a thing???

In the context of it being the phenomena it once was... no.

In the context of being a creative outlet and opportunity, and a place for people to recreate virtually... yes

Despite the hype and mass gold rushes of long ago, SL is really mainly what you make of it. To me, SL is less of a social platform for me and more of a 3d environment for me to learn, test, create and share in.

However, my opinion is that it is very mysterious and hostile to new visitors, and that's where LL needs to focus whether they launch the new Sansar, or stay with SL.

YourGoddessBri wrote:

I would love to spend more time in SL but I don't want to invest to much effort or money into it..If it's just dead. Help please?
:)

It depends what efforts you want to put into SL and what you want to get out of it.

It's totally not dead. Lots of people online (average is 40k at once I believe), with 1 million active users, according to LL. Lots of people still buy stuff (even my small niche furry outfit products are bought by a lot of people everyday). It just seems dead because SL is so big that there's a lot of empty places, especially ones that weren't made for public hangout.

Don't worry, SL is worth investing your time into. There are many good free stuff if you don't wanna spend a dime until you're sure about staying around on SL :)

I suggest perform searches for groups and places that may be to your interest.  Also there are a host of classes to learn a variety of skils: scripting, building, photography etc.

Alot of the younger crowds seems to like clubs. Infohubs and welcome areas are good if you are looking for conversation.

SL has definitely evolved since i started. Luckily the fashion choices are much more sophisticated than they used to be. Destination Guide is a handy tool for finding creative sims, events, etc.  Search search search. ;-)

i registered into this game back in 2009 ...from what i remember, the game was much popular back then , more users ,everybody more social , more events and the game was less laggy ..i logged into this game last time i think back in 2015 to play for the good old times but i was surprised to see how many of the old locations i knew which were once crowded and liveful now are abandoned or empty or people just dont talk with you anymore..i also noticed the game is much more laggy now so i guess that also contributed to the decrease in popularity? i dont know but i wish it would be like in the back good old times ...i feel nostalgic now ..i also have a lot of users in my friends list who once were very active now the are all offline

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.