Marketplace Search Issues

Dakota Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2782 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spica Inventor wrote:

(Roles eyes) O.k. that was an expected waste of resources.

Not necessarily. Updating a search ranking algorithm is something that takes days at most, not weeks and certainly not months. I suppose most of the time have been spent cleaning out spaghetti from the code and that is always a good thing. With that out of the way, it should be easy for LL to tweak and adjust the search ranking continuously

Has anyone else noticed a problem with the new search when refining your search by Permissions? I've just serched for teen female - Avatar Components - Avatar Shapes - Copy & Modify boxes ticked and clicked Refine Search button. Bought 3 luckily very cheap shapes without checking the actual permissions in the descriptions and found 2 were No Modify. They clearly have Modify & Transfer crossed through on the right of the description page and they're not new shapes. Is the new search not refining by permissions?

Sally Audebarn wrote:

Sales are plummetting and front pages are still flooded with inferior and unrelated products. How is this update suppose to be considered a positive thing?

Hmmmm... maybe it's worth mentioning that the no. 1 listing for "house" (without the quotes) right now is a 10 L$ collection of all the old (2004-2007) freebie houses from Yadni's Junkyard.

Objectively this shouldn't make much difference to me or anybody else who joined SL the last few years. The old search algorithm was so heavily biased against us MP was never a useable marketing channel anyway. That is, we could always sell through MP but only to people who went directly for our stores there - marketing had to be done elsewhere.

Subjectively... well, the listings and sellers who used to keep us away from noticeable search ranking at least had seniority on their side. I do actually feel more than a little bit offended seeing the riff-raff the current search engine regards as more relevant than my builds.

ChinRey wrote:

Sally Audebarn wrote:

Sales are plummetting and front pages are still flooded with inferior and unrelated products. How is this update suppose to be considered a positive thing?

Hmmmm... maybe it's worth mentioning that the no. 1 listing for "house" (without the quotes) right now is a 10 L$ collection of all the old (2004-2007) freebie houses from Yadni's Junkyard.

Objectively this shouldn't make much difference to me or anybody else who joined SL the last few years. The old search algorithm was so heavily biased against us MP was never a useable marketing channel anyway. That is, we could always
sell
through MP but only to people who went directly for our stores there - marketing had to be done elsewhere.

Subjectively... well, the listings and sellers who sued to keep us away from noticeable search ranking at least had seniority on their side. I do actually feel more than a little bit offended seeing the riff-raff the current search engine regards as more relevant than my builds.

We have seen this before, where the first pages of any search were littered with mostly free or very cheap junk, when Xstreet was transferred to Marketplace. It gave the distinct impression that SL was selling mostly garbage.

Pamela Galli wrote:

It gave the distinct impression that SL was selling mostly garbage.

That may explain something else I've noticed. My overall sales haven't dropped since the new search, they've actually increased a little. But there's a very noticeable shift away from MP. I sell mostly in-world now and it's obvious that my customers at least shy away from MP.

My observations:

• When you search for something specific you get precise results, but you don't get anything that partially fits.
  • Relevance is spammed with L$1 freebies, mostly old ones.

My suggestion is to increase value of keywords by reducing number of characters allowed in keywords, that way the products can still come up when you search one of they keywords. Right now they mostly seem completely ignored, but implementing this might be a slight issue.

Or just make keywords cause the product to come up last in results if it's relevant enough.

Many products can work in several ways after all.

My main issue is that each of my product has 7+ appliers (skin), looks like I have to either list all the appliers in the name (since keywords aren't respected as much) or split each product into several which would cause my store to go from 83>300+ products listed.

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2782 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.