Please say this is not so....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please say this is not so. Sunday  night http://www.gridsurvey.com announced that close to 80% of the NMC Archipelago NMC sites, East Carolina University's Islands, University of Delaware, Teaching # islands and a few others were gone. Most of them are still gone today. I hope this is not permanent. If it is, the educational world in Second Life has lost a major player.

I'm not familiar with this group, so please don't take my words as authoritative.

With a quick search...

If these folks were active in Second Life recently then perhaps some splinter groups survive. My reading of their activity is that they've not been invested here for some time.

and what is the loss for the majority of the SL accounts?... ehm not much ... i even dare to say : means nothing for most.

educational sims from official institutes were going down for years. SL is not a huge succes in this kind of education, just a some project worked fine. But for most just a money pit.

Sansar will most likely be a better platform for it.

i just started and i am a total newbie, BUT... i gotta disagree with you outlook.

yes corporate educators may have seen SL as a new money fountain,,, but in the long run

it turned into a money pit.

But I feel that SL used as a form of education can be more real than a REAL education.

I purchased a prem membership so as to create a memory palace for my own edification.

and if if these educators acted upon this new style of teaching I think enrollment would have

sky rocketed. BUT sadly i can predicted that they probaly used their own self styled WRIT and ROTE

technique.

Besides education should be free.

llaneel wrote:

This isn't about SL education but rl institutes... those never do it for free and don't get their sims for free. It's serious money.

And for sure SL isn't a better environment to teach than RL, it only can be a addition, never a replacement. It's simply not developed enough for that yet.

SL education is resident to resident, en even those often ask a fee for higher end programs.

llaneel wrote:

But I feel that SL used as a form of education can be more real than a REAL education.

It can but that never really happened.

llaneel wrote:

and if if these educators acted upon this new style of teaching I think enrollment would have sky rocketed. BUT sadly i can predicted that they probaly used their own self styled WRIT and ROTE technique.

To some degree yes but also, Linden Lab never provided adequate educational tools in Second Life.

llaneel wrote:

Of course! It's not as if teachers need money to pay for food and housing and such is it? We're far above such mundane matters!

Or do you mean free as in "somebody else should pay the bill for you"?

Just for the amusement of anybody with a dark sense of humor, here is the official list of educational institutions in Second Life:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Second_Life_Education_Directory

If you want to, check how many of these still exist and how many of those who still exist show any signs of recent activity.

llaneel wrote:

and if if these educators acted upon this new style of teaching I think enrollment would have

sky rocketed. BUT sadly i can predicted that they probaly used their own self styled WRIT and ROTE

technique.

Well you can always expand your holdings and open up an education facility to test out your theories about this new style of teaching. :matte-motes-smile: I'd offer to help teach, but I'm not sure I'd measure up to your ideals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

gmlatex wrote:

Let's see:

Does air have value?  If so then why isn't it reasonable to expect it to be paid for?

Oh, the good workers toiling away in the air factories are quite well paid by the government - and of course ultimately by the tax payers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.