Having a hard time logging into both the viewer AND the website.

Bojangles77

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm using the latest version of Firestorm and have been using this computer for years.

All of the sudden today when I tried to log in, it takes a very long time and will often fail on "Logging in..." or after "Handshaking with region" and then it will say "Log in failed, despite our best efforts, etc" When I am able to eventually log in, teleporting will fail half the time and boot me out anyway.

I also tried logging into the website and it times out on the OpenID handshake page after entering my account info. I'm surprised it even let me log in here.

I tried using IE (instead of chrome) and after some patience it was able to log me into the website there, and every now and then it will manage with chrome for a few minutes.

I've tried flushing my DNS, clearing my cache, restarting, etc. I even tried a different computer, also in my house, and I'm having the same problem. It's not with any other games or websites.  Only SL.

1 answer to this question

Check your firewall and anti-virus.  One or both of them may be way too aggressive.  Norton is notorious for that, for one.  If your anti-virus routine is insisting on checking every blessed file that your viewer has to download during login, you could be timing out before login is complete.  Your AV program or firewall may have updated recently and changed its behavior, so it's time to add or change exclusions.

ETA:  Incidentally, if I am right, clearing your cache will only make matters MUCH worse because then your viewer will have to re-download all that stuff to rebuild cache again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.