where do i get technical assistance?

shquibe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Can I edit the box over my head that follows me around? I have 3 lines of text in the box.  The second and third lines are my Display Name and Username, right? I know how to change my Display Name (line 2).  Can I edit/delete lines 1 and 3?

Thanks

3 answers to this question

you have 3 lines

1 group name

2 display name

3 username

1 is changeble to any group role you have in the groups you joined, ór blank (empty) ( group list "none" )

2  is changeble as you already know

3  you can hide for yourself in the preferences of the viewer, but not for others, they will keep seeing that if their preference is set to show it.

• Like 2

shquibe wrote:

Can I edit/delete lines 1 and 3?

You can go into groups and activae the top line called "none." That wil remove the top most line.  You may also create a group with at least two members and assign whatever group tag you want.

Line 3 is yours for ever.  It is the unique account name and can never be changed or hidden from others.

• Like 1

You have gotten good answers for your specific 'name floater' question.

However, on where to get tech assistance... well here. But, there are also classes on viewers, building, inventory management, and everything else regarding Second Life. You'll find support in-world in varous groups. Plus, there are entire regions dedicated to training. The Destination Guide and search can be used to find those.

There is also YouTube and the SL Wiki. Both of those resources have a large amount of information and training.

Then there are the blogs... Inara Pey's, Strawberry Singh's, Scope-it, mine, and many more. Google your question to find those.

When you can't find an answer for a question, you are probably using the wrong names to describe the problem.

Also, when you ask a tech question include information about your viewer and computer. Use the viewer's HELP->ABOUT... to collect the information. Paste it in with your question. There are about a dozen third party viewers. If we know which one you are using, we can often tell you the click path to fix something.

Firestorm is by far the most popular viewer with power-users. They have a very active support group in-world and regions devoted to helping people and training new users. Find and join their group if you use Firestorm. There is no comparable group for Linden Viewer users, AFAIK.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.