Sign in to follow this  
Persephone Emerald

Abandoned Land Issues

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3395 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There is a parcel of Abandoned Mainland behind mine that I can't travel through to reach the next sim. It's bad enough when neighbors put up banlines, but why do they remain on abandoned land? 

In my previous neighborhood, the abandoned land at the end of a Linden road became a dumping ground for automatic vehicles, while a parcel I'd abandoned accumulated prim junk of it's own because I'd allowed Object Entry before I'd abandoned it.

There is a JIRA open for this problem & plans in the works for changing the way abandoned land is handled.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-6167

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mainland/interesting-abandoned-land-changes-in-the-works/m-p/772199/message-uid/772199#U772199

What do you think would best fix Abandoned land problems?

I think, and my opinion comes mostly from reading others' opinions on abandoned land, landowners surrounding the abandoned parcels should be given first crack at purchasing, and at a reasonable price.  

Why can't one Linden spend an afternoon or three and visit all abandoned parcels and hit return objects to owners?  Ugly sims are just ugly.  Does this sound too naive?

an immediate auto-return of all objects and return to standard settings on the land, upon abandonning the land .... btw, I received yesterday a plane back in my lost & found folder I must have lost upon a crash on an abandonned piece of land 6th of july 2010 (as it was dated like this) .... that explains the speed of execution *meows*

it cannot be that difficult for LL to sort this problem out ........

:smileysad:

Wildcat Furse wrote:

an immediate auto-return of all objects and return to standard settings on the land, upon abandonning the land .... btw, I received yesterday a plane back in my lost & found folder I must have lost upon a crash on an abandonned piece of land 6th of july 2010 (as it was dated like this) .... that explains the speed of execution *meows*

it cannot be that difficult for LL to sort this problem out ........

Most likely, someone purchased the parcel and returned...probably had nothing to do with LL's actions

it was abandonned land in my neighbourhood since the 6th of july 2010, there were even objects on there like a lighttower and trees from the previous owners during this long period ...... strange that these objects stayed on that land untill it was returned yesterday by Governor L*nden *meows*

I had a plane in my store wall because was in abandoned land. Had to send few ARs and wait several weeks but nothing happends, so I file a ticket and finally a Linden come and return object :P So there are more people like you in SL xD

Just vote that jira ^^ They need to do something with abandoned land. Also have some next to my parcel with ban lines and that should be changed...

As someone with a shop on Mainland, and close to a Telehub, Abandonned parcels without the proper settings are a real bother. Even though ARs are sent, there is no visible response.

Sorry, I lie. It appears that quite regularly, the owners of the offending items are banned.

The items themselves remain on the parcels.

Since the telehub is close, those items can include self-replicating/physical/etc particle spammers, gifts from griefers.

They will enter the Abandonned parcel without any trouble, and then stay there, as no autoreturn was set.

The same will happen with vehicles, nearly all of which will only let their owners drive them, meaning that someone couldn't drive them into a parcel where the autoreturn is active, to get rid of them.

It should be possible to ask the programmers nicely if they could add a few things to the process of abandonning land.

Remove all previous owner settings, apply Standard Abandonned Land settings, and, why not, randomly seed a few Linden plants so it's not entirely empty, all at the press of a single button.

Just an idea here .. nothing big but ..

When a Parcel is "abandoned" .. its ownership changes from the previous owner to Governor Linden ... why cannot the Sim Server automatically change the Land Options to protect against griefers, spammers, garbage and all the other detritus that gets deposited there?

I know that there is a way to set Land Options to allow things like vehicles to pass through (on the ground or overhead) but that will return stuff left there within a short period of time.

Back when SL was a small, cooperative community (like a small town where everyone knows everyone) the wide-open options were a boon. Everyone treated the land as a precious gift and acted with respect. But now that the community is so large that no one really knows or cares about anyone else, the tendency is to treat public land as the local garbage dump.

Hey Linden Lab!! Can we PLEASE get this subtle change into all these RC Sim Server versions you folks are turning out .. PLEASE?!?

I had this problem, not with abandoned land, but with 3 parcels bordering my old place in Mainland. AT first, I opened a ticket, asking for cleaning it.. wait for some time (from 2 weeks to 3 months) to LL clean the plots.

All 3 plots are owned by residents that I've never seem online. I think they are old life accounts.

My final solution as to put invisible, tiny prims in these plots, until they were full, minus 1 only prim. Than I put a phantom mega prim, covering all plot and the garbagge still there, textured as grass. At least, the garbagge is not visible anymore, and nobody can rezz anything more in these plots.

You got to remember there are millions of square meters of abandoned land, it may take awhile for the Lindens to get around. They are working a new system to help allieviate some of the Mainland issues.

More details should be posted soon.

Have a great day!

-Kolby

Yep.

It is a real shame there is no alternative whatsover to junky mainland.

No way to get good land and response service for good rates.

Nope none whatsoever! :P

I am teasing of course because Im a "land baron" who provides Estate land.

One thing I have noticed more and more in the last year or so in SL is the expanding gulf between the service the Lindens offer someone like me and the service (or lack of service) offered to, well, someone like you.

When I had a similar issue on Mainland I was able to get a Linden on the offending parcel within a half hour.

Oh but that is outrageous! you say That is so unfair!

No, not really.

How much tier do you give Linden Labs every month?

Add 2 or 3 zeros to that, that's what I pay.

I'm not bragging, I'm just saying this trend is likely to continue for as long as Second Life exists.

If you want good service, like it or not, you are pretty much being forced to get land from someone like me.

So, anyone need some land?

:D

Lizard Howl

Segarra Estates Owner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3395 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.