Buy a mesh head or wait until Bento arrives?

Edmondh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey there, guys! 

I am quite new inside the mesh heads world. I avoided it for personal reasons, but things has changed since last week. I've been testing a lot of mesh heads for my main avatar and for a fem alt one. I though Catwa's static head so nice and almost bought it for both, but I remembered about the Bento Project and decided come here and ask for your opinion: buy it or wait until Bento arrives completely? 

Well, it depends on how long you're willing to wait. There's no solid ETA on when Bento will arrive, and it might be a while after that still before someone makes a mesh head in a style you like. If you're willing to save your money and wait until whenever that day comes, definitely wait until Bento! If not, I have friends who swear by Catwa's rigged heads and all are glad they invested in one, because the heads are so nicely made.

It really depends if you are going to USE all the bells and whistles that may come with the future. I have a Lelutka head and have for well over a year and very seldom use any expressions. I now and then close my eyes for a photo. So for ME, none of that really matters.

And as someone said, no one knows when the new tech will be integrated. Honestly I would get a head demo that you like and a skin applier demo and wear them around for awhile and see how you feel about the heads long term. That's what I did and it was quite helpful.

Thanks everyone! It helped a lot!

Well, everyone wants to save lindens, right? Buy it now and in a short time it becomes obsolete wouldn't be so nice, I think this is my main "problem". 

I already heard that Catwa's static head are able to be updated when Bento comes, but do the same with the animated ones wouldn't be possible (I think this is just speculation).

I don't see a reason why the animated heads couldn't be updated to Bento by the creator of the heads. As of right now they use attachment point rigging, which is where you take some of the attachment points, use a deformer, and animate them as normal bones for whatever you're doing. It's complicated and a pain in the butt to do, and obviously not ideal in the long run. Updating them to Bento would break existing animations for it and take a good while, but in the long run it'd be easier on the creator and have more variety in what it can do.

However, Alwin is right. Everything already existing will still work, it'll all still look amazing, it'll just have less features than Bento. There's nothing stopping you from getting another head down the line after Bento is released, you'd just have something to use in the mean time! By the time one comes out that you like, you'll probably have already gotten the money to get it again.

Well, as I am just a user (I'd like to be talented to become a creator) I just know what people speculates (and most of the things I try not to absorb, probably because it stiffen an opinion even do no't knowing the product). 

Probably I will get the heads, specially for one reason: even Bento comes in short time, there will be a long delay to creators design, produce and introduce everything on the market, specially heads. 

Thanks for helping :D

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.