Attaching old prim jewelery to mesh hands.

Jaymee Dragonash

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good afternoon everyone i have a question pertaining to attaching a prim ring to a mesh hand without it moving all over the place. it seems when i attach the ring as you would normally on a classic avatar it doesn't move with the hand i was wondering if someone could guide me on how to do it. sorry to bother you all btw, simply frustrated.

When you attach an older prim ring, it's actually attaching to the underlying SL default avi, not the mesh. Since it's not rigged, it's going to move around like your default avi does. Take off your mesh and your alpha then watch the hands on your default avi. They move around a bit. The alpha just hides it.

We can try to answer you, but realize the behavior you see now will soon change. We are getting more attachment points and bones in a new avatar. For more info on this look up Project Bento. I have a series of articles on Project Bento.

The result of all this is older prim jewlery will likely never work well with the current mesh hands or the newer coming mesh hands.

You might be able to get a 'pose' that locks the classic hands in place, stop bending and roatation at the wrist. This would allow you to position the ring correctly in relation to the mesh hand. But, we will soon be able to animate the fingers. That will again present the problem you have now.

I am discarding more and more of my older prim jewlery and classic clothes. The mesh stuff looks so much better.

Teagan Tobias wrote:

I've looked around and can't see the answer, but do you know if Bento will be, your getting it like it or not and what it breaks does not matter to us, or will we be able to keep using the classic unbroken avatar of today? I ask because you appear to be watching Bento.

Everything in Bento will be completely invisible and it consists of additions to the old skeleton. The default avatar and anything currently released won't use the new bones and won't even know they're there. Existing content will act the same way it does now.

What Theresa said.

Every pose you have, every animation in you AO, every dance in your HUD will all play exactly the same as they do now.

After Bento, new animation will be created that use the new bones so your fingers can wave, for example.. Even if you buy them, your current mesh hands will do nothing since nothing is rigged to those points.

Someone will also make a neko hug shortly after bento is released where the tail will curl around behind the other persons legs.  You could use that hug.  You wont see anything, tho, since you have no tail.  However you could buy one of the soon to be made cat tails, demon tails or squid legs that will be rigged to the new tail bones and see the animation in its entirity.

Yes, everbody is getting Bento whether you want it or not.  Just like everybody got multiple attachment.  Just like everybody got alpha system layers.  Just like everybody got avatar physics.  You can make use of it or not as you see fit.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Teagan Tobias wrote:

I've looked around and can't see the answer, but do you know if Bento will be, your getting it like it or not and what it breaks does not matter to us, or will we be able to keep using the classic unbroken avatar of today? I ask because you appear to be watching Bento.

Everything in Bento will be completely invisible and it consists of
additions
to the old skeleton. The default avatar and anything currently released won't use the new bones and won't even know they're there. Existing content will act the same way it does now.

So nothing changes except the possibilities introduced with Bento when new items are built to take advantage of it, thanks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.