Why cant we just piece it together from blank?

ShelaSan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have had the most ridiculously difficult time trying to setup an avatar. People tell me, it should be as easy as unpack the items and switch them out with a couple clicks, but then I find all sorta of weird problems come up. After suddenly being hit with a problem for a while about the stuff not wanting to load, then trying to select a default avi to hopefully clear the problem, just to find it didnt work right and now I got like 3 or 4 default avi's trying to show up at once and only 1 of the outfits from one of the multiple overlapping defaults can even be messed with, I am very pissed off. Why can't we just piece together a clean blank slate from nothing but a list of items in a customization room?

Many things should be better. One of them is that the starter avatars is totally confusing, You want to be human - then you pick a "people" avatar right?

Well, those avatars is mesh, while most youtube tutorials and knowledge base is based upon the "classic" avatars.

I will suggest that you search for "Hatton" in places and teleport there. It is an open sim with water so you fall down in the middle. You can slow the fall by hitting "home" on your keyboard and then arrow down to control the fall. It is almost always a few avatars in the middle where you land. Walk away from them, use the minimap to find a corner with no one. minimap-toolbar3.jpg

Then open me - choose an avatar - classic, pick one and wait. Your other avatars should be replaced with just this one.

I suggested you go to this empty sim away from other avatars, so your computer load just you and not all the other mesh and textures that's in busy sims. If you still wear what looks like several avatars, then try to relog. Make sure you log into "last location" so you log in to your quiet corner of Hatton. Try to repeat me - choose an avatar - classic again.

Hopefully you wil clear off the previous avatars and can start over again with a fresh newbie look.

Changing appearance is so complicated in SL, I suggest you take a trip to one of the resource places like Caledon Oxbridge or New Citizens inc.

http://www.caledonoxbridge.org/

Because, when you read tutorials you can find old ones that is using outdated viewers so you can't even find the same screen images in your viewer... or products that's not for sale anymore.... and so on.

For what it's worth, the mesh have been retired and back to fairly decent starter avis that have the default avi with mesh clothing and hair.

Here's what you do. Choose one of the regular avies. The Mesh say mesh after them, stay away from them. Drag the folder onto your avi. That should clear out everything. Don't add or replace. Just drag the folder and drop it onto your avi. Now you're fresh and can go from there.

Well... you can, but... They didn't make it easy. I feel you.

The reason we are where we are is legacy. The current system wasn't so much designed as it evolved over about 10 years. Things are beter than they were. But, for a new person I am sure it is frustrating. May be Sansar will be easier.

To make my life easier, to have a 'blank' avatar to start from, I made a nude avatar outfit. Actually several. I have a nude classic avatar and a nude Slink mesh body, hands, and feet avatar, and a couple of others but, you get the idea.

When I want to build a new outfit I replace the current outfit with a nude outfit and start dressing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.