error: Material of model is not a subset of reference model

Zed Tremont

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

This drives me nuts, made already lots of models and got them imported in sl. Sometimes with my share of weird problems with texture faces, LODs and name it.

This though is a new one for me.

1 mesh

5 material (different coloured lamberts as done already tons of times

created in Maya 2016

viewer Fs, never had a problem solved by using the LL viewer till this date

When I try to upload LOD1 (high) I get following error

"Material is not a subset of reference model"

Geometry is correct checked it again and again

Replaced the materials with just 1 grey lambert... still same problem

Tested on other grids and came in perfect...

Am I missing something here, bit on the end of ideas so some help/ideas would be very much appreciated.

A quick search of the forums with your error message gives LOTS of entries. I have never had that issue but here is a post with over 7000 views and it is on Maya so maybe your answer is here.

Searching always good :D

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Material-of-Model-is-not-a-subset-of-reference-material-Error/m-p/2086777/highlight/true#M22432

Thanks for your reply Chic.

Had to mention before that I did go over the posts before sending mine. Weird thing is that all I've seen at least are about uploading LOD2 and further. I get it when I just want to upload LOD1, so goes wrong from the start without being able to do anything extra.

Always bring in LOD1 in first to determine when my collapse happens, then depending this parameter start making manually the other LODs.

Just for info and follow up.

This model has not over +21K tris/material, the whole mesh hasn't got that many anyway. (as per ref Drongle in one of the threads)

Exported as a .obj file to remove all eventual "residues", imported and exported again.

Passed the model to a friend and asked to try to get it uploaded, same problem.

Almost all threads I've seen are about same number/name for materials in LOD1 and following.

Since the problem occurs while trying to get LOD1 uploaded this is not the problem. In hypershade I always prepare the same coloured lamberts which I use over and over in the same project. Other items in these scene/project didn't had any problem at all.

I'm not sure what you mean by "trying to get LOD1 uploaded". Do you mean that you are supplying only the highest LOD file? In that case, what have you tried with the rest? Did you try just using the default generated lower LODs, and/or did you try selecting "Use LOD Above" for all the lower LODs?

The "official" (i.e. internal developers') names for the LODs are highest=LOD3, medium=LOD2, low=LOD1, lowest=LOD0. This can be deduced from the wiki. So I guess it's also possible you mean just the mesh you are going to use in the low slot.

Can you search your collada file for "<polylist>", for "<triangles>" and for "<polygons>", and show us all the lines that contain these tags? That would give us the exact "material" attribute strings, which might offer a clue. (I use notepad++ for this sort of thing, but any text editor should do.)

It might also be relevant to know whether you have the "slm" meachanism active - you can inactivate most simply it by resetting the upload dialog, by deleting the ".slm" files, or by using a new filename. You can also turn it off permanently with a debug parameter (whose name I forget :matte-motes-frown:, "somethingUseSLM")

Hello Drongle, thanks for your comment.

I try to check those lines tomorrow, sorry been a long day today. 

I will try the reset and see what that does too. Haven't tried that yet.

With highest i mend officially LOD3 then. I get the error message when I want to bring in the very first high polygon model iow it can not be related to a difference between names, lambert materials etc of LOD2-1 or 0.

Printscreen of upload trial:

https://gyazo.com/914b058b9f38d7566647ea0a72d0036b

Try another name for the mesh in Maya. I guess the importer is failing to understand the name with _LOD1 for the high LOD. Which is usually specified without a suffix for LOD mesh sorting. Leave the " _LOD" out of the name and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies people, really appreciate it.

And yes Arton, I indeed changed my naming convention from stuff like BottleCarrierLOD1 to Bottle_Carrier_LOD1 as common practice in computer graphics. Also since substance Painter requires a _low  and _high extension.

They put you on a downright wrong track with the "materials" error.

Did a try and no errors anymore, still have to do the full upload but don't expect problems anymore. 

Thank you very much.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.