How to fix firestorm?

Rocknstyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have recently changed my laptop to a MacBook Air and have downloaded firstorm on my mac, I was at my aunt and uncles yesertda and it loaded and I could log on, I traveld to my grandparents house and I wasn't logging on because it was late so I decided to log on but I keep getting this message.

Login failed.                          

Despite our best efforts, something unexpected has gone wrong.

Please check status.secondlife.net to see if there is a known problem with the service.

If you continue to experience problems, please check your network and firewall setup.

I have checked the problems on the website and there seems to be nothing wrong and then I have checked my network and firewall settiings and everything seems to be fine now and I am still getting the same problem. What do I do?

2 answers to this question

That's not a Firestorm issue.

Your connection isn't doing so great. You'll need at least 1Mbps to get a stable link in-world, and remember that Second Life puts a very heavy load on your line.

Remember also to use a wired connection, not wireless/WiFi. (Does Macbook Air even have room for an RJ45? If not, you could look at getting a router that supports 300Mbps/500Mbps WiFi links - but these can be expensive)

I would definitely expect performance issues with a Macbook Air. They can't cool down, and you have very limited interface options.

I'm not confident that the connection you're using will support Second Life, but you can try troubleshooting using this guide.

• Like 2

Freya is right. Yours is a connection problem.

Depending on where your grandparents live, they may not have a connection that will support SL. A satellite or DSL connection likely will present problems. DSL is a problem as you get farther from the central phone exchange. At about 4,000ft DSL is so slow it barely supports SL. Satellite connections have terrible latency, lag. If you can get connected via satellite you'll likely hate it.

There are newer wireless connections in various parts of the world. The ISP connects to your home/office via a wireless signal. If that signal is weak, you will have problems with SL. In such cases the only thing you can do is talk to your ISP.

Then there is your in-home wireless signal sent by your router. It can vary form terrible to great depending where you are in the house. If it is an older router, it will use slower protocols. You are looking for G or N protocols for use with SL. If the router your grandparents have doesn't support those, use a wire connection. Buy a cable.

Freya linked to my troubleshooting guide. Use it to figure out where the problem is, you, the ISP, or SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.