Check out the screenshots for The Cool VL Viewer

Guku Aabye

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm sorry if i'm soundling like a recording.

But everyone i talk with in Second Life has

never heard of the viewer

I was just saying its in my profile thats all

Just wanted to say that

If people want to use The Cool VL Viewer they will

if not they wont

simple as that

Pixieplumb Flanagan wrote:

.  The best place to see what's going on is ...

the best place to see is the official 3rd party list.

Those you are sure are ok by LL.

I simply don't trust his own statements. He can roam as much data from the users as he wants,( not saying he does) and still claiming he's tpv compliant....

the vey weird statement "because I don't want to provide private data to LL about myself, data which is illegal to require for such a purpose in my country." is totally absurd. He's in the EU, not in some communistic banana republic.

Pixieplumb Flanagan wrote:

It's a very popular viewer across a wide range of user types; I see no cause for concern
:)

seems not so popular if we have to believe the OP promotor..... everybody asks and nobody knows...
:)
( to be true, nobody ever asks me what i use ...)

i also see no cause for concern, only saying it "can" be

Now, I'm pissed off !

If only people could stop spreading FUD !!!

The reasons why I prefer keeping a few (very personal) pieces of info (such as my phone number, which I reserve to the exclusive usage of my family and friends: it's on "liste rouge" and is never listed in any public record/phone book) over seeing my viewer listed in the TPV directory are mine, and they are also totally legally founded (mind you, French (and EU) laws are more protective than US laws about privacy, and we do care a lot about privacy in "old Europe", and find US companies aggressiveness towards private data theft of foreign citizens quite disturbing and even revolting !).
For your info, my identity is also known to LL (since money exchanges have been done between LL and me). I just don't want to give away info that is excessive for the purpose (here, the purpose is a "contribution agreement", something that should really not require me to give out a red-listed phone number, especially since I won't understand a damned word of spoken English !).

This said, and citing the paragraph 6 of LL's TPV policy:
"6. The Viewer Directory and Self-Certification
We created the Viewer Directory to help promote awareness of Third-Party Viewers within the Second Life community. Unlike the other sections of this Policy, participation in the Viewer Directory is currently not a requirement for connecting to Second Life. "
and at the end of that paragraph, you can read:
"c. The Viewer Directory is a self-certification program. Linden Lab does not represent or warrant any independent testing or verification of compliance of any application listed in the Viewer Directory. We disclaim all liability associated with applications in the Viewer Directory."
Emphasis mine (since some of you just can't seem to be capable of reading and spotting the phrases that actually matter).

TPV viewers are Open Source and the beauty of Open Source is that you can check by yourself that a software is not malicious or violates any rule. In the case of the Cool VL Viewer (and its former Cool SL Viewer incarnation), the TPV Policy compliance is 100%. It's even better than most other TPVs, if not all: do you know, for example, of any other TPV which presents you with the required disclosures on first run (para 1.c of the TPV Policy) ?... Well, that feature has been implemented in my viewer only one week (!) after LL published that policy...

I'll also add that my viewer has been around since 2007: it's the oldest actively maintained TPV. If, at any point, LL had detected any non-compliance to their TPV Policy, do you really think they won't have blocked it already ?

Finally, I've seen stupid things posted in this thread about the Cool VL Viewer features: my viewer got weekly releases and features that stay top-notch and in sync with LL's viewers, including projects viewers: the experimental branch of my viewer implements Bento, for example.

Yes, it's a v1 UI viewer (the UI is based on (but also vastly expanded from) LL's v1.18 viewer), but it got all the bells and whistles of modern viewers.

Now, as for the "popularity" of my viewer, I really do not care !  I made it for myself and I'm only sharing it as a service to like-minded people. If you don't like it, then fine, please use any viewer fancying you !

• Like 3

I'm sorry for talking about The Cool VL Viewer here on the Forums here.

I just like the viewer a lot because it's the old interface of SL that i like a lot

I'm sorry if I offended you Henri. It was not my intention, i just  wanted to see if others used this viewer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.