Freebies: Get Them & Review Them (Or Not)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2827 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

entity0x wrote:

Hello Muletta, thanks for your response.

I am not asking anyone to be
forced
and neither am I making a solid and emphatic demand that
only quality freebies be made

This is mainly a topic to address the statement made that "Freebies should not be reviewed", and I pose that they are not above reviews.

I believe freebies should be a true gift, with no less quality than paid products (
with all things considered, as stated in a recent post - many freebies are from antiquity
). I am not an idiot, and I take all the exceptions to the rule into consideration, before making a statement.

I love getting freebies, and I love giving freebies, and I love giving good freebies. It's my part to giving back into Second Life what I got when I was first broke in SL and getting freebies myself. I also made many purchases from vendors who gave out freebies - because their freebies were amazing.

In my opinion, it is a good thing to both receive and give out reviews on any product, regardless of price. Since the item is being used by the merchant to get attention, will get attention and probably future sales, why do many feel they are above the review system or think somehow they are some Great Benefactor? I was an SL newbie once, so this topic is to the SL newbies, and to sensible people.

I have left many reviews on a variety of priced products, free or not, constructive and honest. Many of them have also been taken down because
- this discourages people from reviewing.

I've also received much appreciated reviews on my own, which I use to improve my products, or include features in updated versions. I've even updated a 'free' product to a recent version as my Blender skills have developed, and updated all other products as well with what I've learned.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The question is though, can we always trust these reviews? I have received splendid stuff from MP, which other people have given 1 star and bad comments... and the other way around too. - But that is probably another discussion.

Some customers do not read the instructions before buying, do not know how to make things work, and do not bother to ask the seller, before giving a bad review.

I do not always pay much attention to the reviews all the time, I admit. If things are for free, then I do not like to complain about a bad product at all. Like in the real world: it is the thought that counts, and not the gift itself.

Besides that, I never write bad reviews for bought stuff either, without contacting the seller first, and give him/her a chance to fix it...what they often are happy to do...

I think most merchants here, are proud of their creations... You can never avoid some bad apples in the basket, no matter how many reviews you give here and there.

SabaothMastema wrote:

Just gotta say. If you disapprove of the freebies that are out there then there is a very consttuctive way to change that......
make better ones and give them out yourself
. Otherwis if its free then why complain if it's subpar?
Only reason to make a bad review on a freebie is to offer constructive criticism.
Even then you could just IM the merchant and say it.

That's what I do - so what's the problem?

Persephone Emerald wrote:

Whenever you buy something on MP, it's nice to leave an honest review. If the product is good, then a good review helps both the creator & those who might buy it. If the product is bad, a bad review may dissuade someone else from wasting their money & time on buying it. Even free items cost us the effort to delete them. Also, if you think a freebie is actually stolen from another creator or if a cheapie is elsewhere a full-perm freebie that's supposed to be free, then put that information in your review.

They seem to get upset that I point out the image is copyright infringed, and being sold by the original artist, and provide a link as well . I thought I was being helpful by adding that information to my review...

Muletta wrote:

The question is though, can we always trust these reviews? I have received splendid stuff from MP, which other people have given 1 star and bad comments... and the other way around too. - But that is probably another discussion.

Some customers do not read the instructions before buying, do not know how to make things work, and do not bother to ask the seller, before giving a bad review.

I do not always pay much attention to the reviews all the time, I admit. If things are for free, then I do not like to complain about a bad product at all. Like in the real world: it is the thought that counts, and not the gift itself.

Besides that, I never write bad reviews for bought stuff either, without contacting the seller first, and give him/her a chance to fix it...what they often are happy to do...

I think most merchants here, are proud of their creations... You can never avoid some bad apples in the basket, no matter how many reviews you give here and there.

Exactly.  I don't know why a merchant would NOT want reviews on their freebies - so far I've just seen high & mighty "They should be grateful for free stuff' elitist responses.

I welcome one and all to review anything I make. I'll use the information to improve what I got, and use ideas for future products.

entity0x wrote:

I don't know why a merchant would NOT want reviews on their freebies - so far I've just seen high & mighty "They should be grateful for free stuff'
responses.

I welcome one and all to review anything I make. I'll use the information to improve what I got, and use ideas for future products.

what you know is what works for you, works for you. And you dunno why what works for you, doesnt work for everyone. And bc you dunno why then you see things that are not real and not true. And you wonder why nobody else sees what you see, things that are not real and not true

you see the high & mighty say stuff like "they should be grateful for free stuff". Nobody else in all the threads where you have raised this topic, sees this. Only you

+

it isnt about being grateful. Is about being gracious

they are not the same thing

most people who have free stuff also have paid for stuff. I am no exception to this. My outfits and my furnishings are a eclectic mix of the two

what I, and pretty much everyone else, does get for free, we are pretty gracious about. Being gracious means dont complain after asking for and getting the stuff. Like to actual get free stuff we do ask for it, by click on it

+

to actual ask for free stuff, just so that we can critique it, is one of the weirdest things anyone can do. Is actual bananas

wherorangi wrote:

what you know is what works for you, works for you. And you dunno why what works for you, doesnt work for everyone.

Have you been drinking? Because that made no sense

wherorangi wrote:

And bc you dunno why then you see things that are not real and not true. And you wonder why nobody else sees what you see, things that are not real and not true

Yep, seems like you have been drinking

wherorangi wrote:

you see the high & mighty say stuff like "they should be grateful for free stuff". Nobody else in all the threads where you have raised this topic, sees this. Only you

If I thought you'd change your mind, I'd spend the time to dig it up, but I know it wouldn't, so I won't bother.

Just stay in your fearful litte sock account troll bubble.

wherorangi wrote:

it isnt about being grateful. Is about being gracious

Lol, just an excuse to put out crappy stuff.

wherorangi wrote:

what I, and pretty much everyone else, does get for free, we are pretty gracious about. Being gracious means dont complain after asking for and getting the stuff. Like to actual get free stuff we do ask for it, by click on it

It's funny how you speak as if you are a spokesperson for many; you should instead focus on speaking for yourself.

wherorangi wrote:

to actual ask for free stuff, just so that we can critique it, is one of the weirdest things anyone can do. Is actual bananas

Who's asking for free stuff? Who's complaining about free stuff? Who said 'leave scathing reviews' on freebies?

It's very interesting to see such a resistance ( as usual ) over a simple little thing.

Review and be reviewed, freebie or not. I will be reviewing regardless of your opinion.

Anything I say can be turned on me as well. In fact, some sore loser already 1 starred one of my most popular freebies - go see it and learn how to address such reviews. I just used it as another opportunity to sell.

It even helped me improve the product again - directly addressing the complaint and already updating it.

So what's your problem? I sense fear.

entity0x wrote:

In fact, some sore loser already 1 starred one of my most popular freebies

I really didn't want to get back into this stupid argument again, because you just avoid any questions you can't answer. But try this one - why do you see this customer as a sore loser?

Persephone Emerald wrote:

Whenever you buy something on MP, it's nice to leave an honest review. If the product is good, then a good review helps both the creator & those who might buy it. If the product is bad, a bad review may dissuade someone else from wasting their money & time on buying it. Even free items cost us the effort to delete them. Also, if you think a freebie is actually stolen from another creator or if a cheapie is elsewhere a full-perm freebie that's supposed to be free, then put that information in your review.

Sorry I didn't respond to your post. I agree.

Reviews are a double edged sword, and no product is above it. If you get the good, you get the bad as well.

Anyone who has a problem with that can contact me inworld and I can show the products I have reviewed, both good and bad, and why, and we can have an adult discussion about it.

I don't buy into the 'it's free, so be thankful and gracious' - irrelevant, if people want to leave a review, all power to them.

entity0x wrote:

So what's your problem? I sense fear.

fear of what exactly ?

I don't sell anything. I have never had a inworld or MP shop

altho I have posted freebie scripts and pcodes in the scripting forums on here

here's some of my freebies. Some of them have been critiqued by a couple of people as well. Not just critiques of my stuff, but also critiques of me and what they feel is my like total lack of something or other as they see it. Quite spirited have been one or two in their critiques. But is all good, I am always happy to debate stuff forever pretty much

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Library/gummy-gumball-machine/m-p/2941532#M1205

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Library/static-stationary-source-text-packer-unpacker/td-p/2740312

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Library/pseudo-random-arrangement-of-a-ordinal-set/td-p/2712606

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Library/Key2UTF-and-UTF2Key/td-p/2712410

i have even made some mods on some scripts bc of feedbacks/requests from people since first version posted

but despite all this, is still ungracious to ask for free stuff and accept it, and then complain and whine about it not being up to your imposed standard

entity0x wrote
 In fact, some sore loser already 1 starred one of my most popular freebies - go see it and learn how to address such reviews. I just used it as another opportunity to sell.

So someone that had a complaint and described why they did in a constructive way, you label a sore loser.   In your comments, you did try to educate that person about alpha clashing,  but your sarcastic comment "I will gladly refund you the $0L you invested, should you contact me by IM or Notecard inworld" blew it and shows what you really think of people that give bad reviews of your own freebies IMO.

entity0x wrote:

wherorangi wrote:

It's funny how you speak as if you are a spokesperson for many; you should instead focus on speaking for yourself..

In this case, she is a spokesperson for many.

Now now Ser Deakins, wherorangi is a fount of knowledge, wisdom, wit, humour, reason and grace with a quirky gift of erudition that I stand in awe of (what with me being Indignorant and all) but theres no need to call them a 'spokesperson' - next it will be to saddle them with 'community leader' =^^=

(Follower of the Sir Samuel Vimes school of wossnames but more than willing to be flexi)

Rya Nitely wrote:

entity0x wrote:

In fact, some sore loser already 1 starred one of my most popular freebies

I really didn't want to get back into this stupid argument again, because you just avoid any questions you can't answer. But try this one -
why do you see this customer as a sore loser?

He has a rule against answering questions like that. 

Perrie Juran wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

I wouldn't dream of putting a saddle on wherorangi......... hmm......... I wonder :matte-motes-bashful:

While it's not the way I normally swing, I could dream of wherorangi saddling me 
;)

"The one thing I do not want to be called is First Lady. It sounds like a saddle horse." - Jacqueline Kennedy 

wherorangi wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

I wouldn't dream of putting a saddle on wherorangi......... hmm......... I wonder :matte-motes-bashful:

While it's not the way I normally swing, I could dream of wherorangi saddling me 
;)

"The one thing I do not want to be called is First Lady. It sounds like a saddle horse."
- Jacqueline Kennedy 

Well did she say what she wanted to be called?  

Pamela Galli wrote
"The one thing I do not want to be called is First Lady. It sounds like a saddle horse."
- Jacqueline Kennedy 

Jacqueline Kennedy wrote poetry sometimes to help her express how she felt. Probably her answer would have been something like in her verse

"I love walking on the angry shore.

To watch the angry sea;

Where summer people were before,

But now there's only me."

"I love the feeling down inside me

That says to run away

To come and be a gypsy

And laugh the gypsy way."

wherorangi wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote
- Jacqueline Kennedy 

Jacqueline Kennedy wrote poetry sometimes to help her express how she felt. Probably her answer would have been something like in her verse

"I love walking on the angry shore.

To watch the angry sea;

Where summer people were before,

But now there's only me."

"I love the feeling down inside me

That says to run away

To come and be a gypsy

And laugh the gypsy way."

Jacqueline Kennedy is a pretty complicated person. Raised in comparative privilege, always doubting it, but never able to give it up

Lady Jane Grey was another a bit like that. Circumstances dictated that she take the Crown of England. Something that conflicted her tremendously, yet was unable to turn away from it. Which end up with her getting her head chopped off

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2827 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.