Inworld servers?

PatrickDevonAnderson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Not sure if this is something that would be adressed by the abuse policy or not. In the region I have a home in there is one parcel that contains in excess of 6 object servers that at least once a minute drops the region performance drastically that run 24/7. The lag is terrible, and rezzing and script performance can be visably seen to drop at the same times my parcel meter drops to almost 0. Would this fall under the "excessive scripted objects"

3 answers to this question

Servers?  No.  Servers aren't going to generate much lag at all.  I suspect that's not what you meant, though.  Perhaps "rezzers"?  Any time the region servers need to rez an object, whether it's requested by you or by a scripted rezzer, they stall briefly.  The amount of time that they are stalled depends on how complex an object they are being asked to rez.  Needless to say, if someone has a repeating rezzer that is generating a lot of new objects in a short period of time (or even a few heavy ones), the region will take a big performance hit. It's a common, nasty griefing tool. That's why most private estate owners forbid all but the most gentle repeating rezzers.

If that's what you're worried about, then yes, you can submit an abuse report for excessive use of region resources. Be sure to include the names and exact locations of the rezzers.

If you live on a private estate, chance are contact the estate owner will get you a faster response.  In fact LL may refer your complaint there as they don't want to involve themselves in resident to resident problems.  Estate owners can run their sims as they see fit and LL doen't interfer with that.

Object rezzers can indeed cause severe lag in a region.  I have a few rezzers in my region to create schools of fish, and this type of use is generally pretty benign.  However, some people use temp rezzers to try and get around a parcel's prim limits, and if several of these are running in a region they can create horrific lag.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.