I can't get second life to come up on my computer. I just downloaded the new update.

Zarido Bluemood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I just downloaded the new update like it'd asked, and now whenever I try to start it, it says:

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application."

Which of course, I do click on, as it's the only thing there to click.

I'm not used to Second Life, and I'm not very knowledgeable with computers. Can someone please help me out?

I had the normal Viewer 2 before this.

Someone had told me to get Phoenix, and that seems to be my only way of getting on now. I just happen to like Viewer 2 beter, because it's easier for me to navigate through.

25 answers to this question

I only use viewer 2. I would recommend removing Phoenix, you can always add it again later. There seems to be conflicts if you have different viewers installed on the same computer because the different viewers will share the same cache locations, which can lead to errors and glitches. Not sure if that is the problem you are experiencing, but it's a start.

Ah. Can't. Not only is it too late, but my phone also has a wonderful habit of randomly switching itself off.

Doubt it's the battery, just got a new one not too long ago.

Well... I went and downloaded Imprudence for now. Hopefully someone can get me the non-today-updated version of Viewer 2 or something, haha.

The same thing happened to me today. I've been using Viewer 2 with no problems until today when I downloaded the latest version. After the download was completed it asked if I wanted to start the viewer & I clicked OK. That's when I got the same error that Zarido got. I completely un-installed the SecondLife Viewer & re-downloaded it - same error. I am unable to get into my SL with the SL Viewer on this computer. I don't have any other viewers on this computer. I contacted Linden Lab via Live Chat & mid-way, after I'd 'talked' with the rep & explained the problem, the rep never got back to me. I'll try live chat again tomorrow - maybe there is a compatibility 'bug' they didn't run across in beta testing?

I might have found the solution in another thread (which I'd link to if I knew how, but I don't know how to do it so I'm copy/pasting the solution here).  I haven't tried it yet (I'm not on the computer that has the problem) but other folks in the thread said it fixed the problem for them.

---------------------------

SOLUTION (copied from another thread):

When you install your viewer in directory where installed, usually C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer2\  there will be file called winmm.dll. In my case that was the file causing trouble and when I have deleted it, viewer started to load and work correctly. Apparently file is responsible for some sound and joystick functions, but there is one in your system32 directory so this one can be deleted.

Hope it will work for rest of you with same problem

• Like 1

Woo Hoo! Tried it today and it worked for me too! Below is another copy/paste with the same solution, but it asks you to go to a JIRA & let them know whether it solved your problem or not (so they can fix the problem in the next release I'd imagine):

------------

(Following is from another thread,

solution posted by Cummere Mayo)

Look in your second life install directory for the file winmm.dll

delete that file.

try starting second life.

if it works please comment on https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-1088

if it doesnt work please comment on https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-1088

Good luck!

Charlotte brought up a point that is important. When you use more than just the Second Life Viewer (SLV) you often have problems with cache corruption. But, rather than uninstall the TPV change the TPV's cache location and avoid to problem.

In Preferences->Setup (SLV) and in Preferences->Network (Phoenix) are the controls for setting a new cache location. I suggest you leave your SLV's location unchanged. Change the Phoenix or other TPV's location.

New versions of Phoenix and several other viewers, i.e., Kirsten's S21 for one, create their own cache without your needing to do anything extra. So, check where your TPV has placed the cache. If your TPV is using a cache in the SecondLife folder, create a new folder and point the viewer to it. You can do that from within the viewer in Preferences.

@Taylor2018 - don't delete those others! (At least not without someone who knows what they're doing telling you to delete them)! I'm not an expert by any means - I just found the above solution in another thread and on the JIRA trouble ticket. If you are getting the exact same message as I did when trying to login using the newer versions of the SL Viewer, and don't have a winmm.dll file in the SecondLife directory, then you should try to contact Linden Lab.

OH! I just had a thought. If you're looking for the file in folder view you may need to change your settings so that certain file types aren't hidden from view. Do you see ANY .dll files listed, or just not the winmm.dll file?

Same thing happened to me....I had the older Viewer 2, I updated adn now I havent been able to go on.....I've uninstalled, installed, restarted, cleaned, cleared cache manually and have gotten nothing...just the same ol' message saying that "Windows has found a problem with the program and will close it until there is a solution found...." I've tried running the Beta Viewer and the Viewer 2.6.3 and have gotten zilch on either of them... :(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.