Jump to content

Questions About Teens in SL


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

OK, I have some questions about where rl teens are and are not allowed to go in sl.

Are rl teens in sl allowed to be on mature land?

Are rl teens allowed to use child avatars?

Are rl teens allowed to participate in mature or adult groups?

I am asking because I have seen people who claim to be rl teens (and certainly seem to be rl teens) doing all of these things in sl. I am also asking because on a few mature lands I frequent, sim owners claim that Linden Labs allowed teens on the main grid because they wanted them to be able to access all the fun stuff on mature lands. Can someone give me some more (hopefully valid) information?

What should I do if I see rl teens on mature land that have adult groups (such as gor, bdsm) in their profiles?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, if a teen has their accurate information on their account then they are not allowed on Mature land.

I'm fairly sure we are allowed to use child avies.

I'm not completely sure but I think that teens are not allowed to be in those types of groups.

 

If you do see RL Teens doing those kinds of things then Linden Labs wants you to report them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Gianna Arida wrote:

OK, I have some questions about where rl teens are and are not allowed to go in sl.

Are rl teens in sl allowed to be on mature land?

Are rl teens allowed to use child avatars?

Are rl teens allowed to participate in mature or adult groups?

I am asking because I have seen people who claim to be rl teens (and certainly seem to be rl teens) doing all of these things in sl. I am also asking because on a few mature lands I frequent, sim owners claim that Linden Labs allowed teens on the main grid because they wanted them to be able to access all the fun stuff on mature lands. Can someone give me some more (hopefully valid) information?

What should I do if I see rl teens on mature land that have adult groups (such as gor, bdsm) in their profiles?

 

1. Teens (who, in the case of Second Life would be 16 or 17 in their first lives) are restricted to General rated land. They may not be on Mature rated or Adult rated land.

2. Teens may use child avatars should they desire to, but are restricted to the same rules of use as anyone using a child avatar. No sexual ageplay, etc.

3. Teens are not allowed to participate in Mature rated or Adult rated groups.

All of this is, IMO, spelled out in the Terms of Service and Community Standards. :-)

You can, of course, Abuse Report them if you do see a violation of these or any rules.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Are rl teens allowed to use child avatars?"

Yeah, and they're even allowed to use adult avatars. And Mickey Mouse outfits.

"What should I do if I see rl teens on mature land that have [sic] adult groups (such as gor, bdsm) in their profiles?"

Probably you should run and tell mommy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Tammy Armundsen wrote:

"Are rl teens allowed to use child avatars?"

Yeah, and they're even allowed to use adult avatars. And Mickey Mouse outfits.

"What should I do if I see rl teens on mature land that have [sic] adult groups (such as gor, bdsm) in their profiles?"

Probably you should run and tell mommy.

 

Tammy, I really get the feeling you would rather people just "walk on by" anytime they see something illegal and/or wrong happening. "Not my problem" would be the phrase I associate with that attitude.

If there is one truth time and experience have taught me, it is this .. "Is TOO!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, LL has given us absolutely no way to prevent teens from participating in Mature/Adult groups. No way to screen new or existing group members and require that they are not teens. No way to know a group member or someone who IM's us is a teen. As far as I know, Mature/Adult groups can still be located by various means by teens, and joined by teens, unless the group is invitation-only.

The only safe way to operate a Mature/Adult group is to lock it down to invitation-only, and require that the person meet a group officer on Mature or Adult land, as appropriate, before being invited to join the group.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Gianna Arida wrote:

OK, I have some questions about where rl teens are and are not allowed to go in sl.

Are rl teens in sl allowed to be on mature land?

Are rl teens allowed to use child avatars?

Are rl teens allowed to participate in mature or adult groups?

I am asking because I have seen people who claim to be rl teens (and certainly seem to be rl teens) doing all of these things in sl. I am also asking because on a few mature lands I frequent, sim owners claim that Linden Labs allowed teens on the main grid because they wanted them to be able to access all the fun stuff on mature lands. Can someone give me some more (hopefully valid) information?

What should I do if I see rl teens on mature land that have adult groups (such as gor, bdsm) in their profiles?

 

 

Teens are not allowed on "moderate" or adult lands as far as I know.  Same goes for groups.

There's no age limit on who can use a child avatar.

What do you do?  File an abuse report if it's that important to you.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Ackley Bing wrote:

 

Gianna Arida wrote:

OK, I have some questions about where rl teens are and are not allowed to go in sl.

Are rl teens in sl allowed to be on mature land?

Are rl teens allowed to use child avatars?

Are rl teens allowed to participate in mature or adult groups?

I am asking because I have seen people who claim to be rl teens (and certainly seem to be rl teens) doing all of these things in sl. I am also asking because on a few mature lands I frequent, sim owners claim that Linden Labs allowed teens on the main grid because they wanted them to be able to access all the fun stuff on mature lands. Can someone give me some more (hopefully valid) information?

What should I do if I see rl teens on mature land that have adult groups (such as gor, bdsm) in their profiles?

 

 

Teens are not allowed on "moderate" or adult lands as far as I know.  Same goes for groups.

There's no age limit on who can use a child avatar.

What do you do?  File an abuse report if it's that important to you.

 

 

unfortunately teens can join mature or adult groups, i suggest you read the posts above yours...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Dogboat Taurog wrote:

 

Ackley Bing wrote:

 

Gianna Arida wrote:

OK, I have some questions about where rl teens are and are not allowed to go in sl.

Are rl teens in sl allowed to be on mature land?

Are rl teens allowed to use child avatars?

Are rl teens allowed to participate in mature or adult groups?

I am asking because I have seen people who claim to be rl teens (and certainly seem to be rl teens) doing all of these things in sl. I am also asking because on a few mature lands I frequent, sim owners claim that Linden Labs allowed teens on the main grid because they wanted them to be able to access all the fun stuff on mature lands. Can someone give me some more (hopefully valid) information?

What should I do if I see rl teens on mature land that have adult groups (such as gor, bdsm) in their profiles?

 

 

Teens are not allowed on "moderate" or adult lands as far as I know.  Same goes for groups.

There's no age limit on who can use a child avatar.

What do you do?  File an abuse report if it's that important to you.

 

 

unfortunately teens can join mature or adult groups, i suggest you read the posts above yours...

 

 

Adult groups?  There's no such classification, yet.

So what's your point dogboat?

 

 

Alt=:smileywink:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

my point is that you are giving out false info.

i said adult groups to encompass the other mature groups which may deal with more perverse behaviour.

looking at your previous post your message clearly said teens could not access mature (ie over 18 groups)

imagine what could happen if said teen joined an "adult group"

think adult movies for example, they are not the same as movies for adults.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Dogboat Taurog wrote:

my point is that you are giving out false info.

False info! LOL!  There are only groups and mature groups.  Many mature groups contain adult content. So far, LL has not implemented anything classified as an Adult group.

 

Your point is not that i'm giving out false info. Your point is that teens are allegedly accessing things that they should not, which was the OPs point. It's probably true, but the responsibility lies with the parents, not the content creators, publishers, or distributors. LL has done it's part by restricting registered teens from access to moderate groups.
I think people like you might find satisfaction when no one can access anything but PG unless they are premium users and verified as adult.  Then the world will be a stark contrast of G vs. XXX.

 

 

Alt=:smileywink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Ackley Bing wrote:


Dogboat Taurog wrote:

my point is that you are giving out false info.

False info! LOL!  There are only groups and mature groups.  Many mature groups contain adult content. So far, LL has not implemented anything classified as an Adult group.

 
Your point is not that i'm giving out false info. Your point is that teens are allegedly accessing things that they should not, which was the OPs point. It's probably true, but the responsibility lies with the parents, not the content creators, publishers, or distributors. LL has done it's part by restricting registered teens from access to moderate groups.
I think people like you might find satisfaction when no one can access anything but PG unless they are premium users and verified as adult.  Then the world will be a stark contrast of G vs. XXX.

 

 

Alt=:smileywink:

 

i disagree, you asked me why my point was and then you tell me my reply was wrong.

i would however like to see teens not being able to access over 18 groups.

children are simply not mature enough for some concepts as you have adequately demonstrated.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Dogboat Taurog wrote: 

i would however like to see teens not being able to access over 18 groups.

 

There has been a group of people going around pretending to be teens, trying to instigate scenes they can report and to document these to base their propaganda.   I think this behavior is more offensive than teens who allegedly circumvent the system to access adult content.

 

 

Alt=:smileywink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Ackley Bing wrote:

 

Dogboat Taurog wrote: 

i would however like to see teens not being able to access over 18 groups.

 

There has been a group of people going around pretending to be teens, trying to instigate scenes they can report and to document these to base their propaganda.   I think this behavior is more offensive than teens who allegedly circumvent the system to access adult content.

 

 

Alt=:smileywink:

 

i don't find teens who circumvent the system offensive, i think its dangerous for their well being.

this is why teens are restricted to PG land.

teens will be teens to coin a phrase.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Dogboat Taurog wrote:

 

Ackley Bing wrote:

There has been a group of people going around pretending to be teens, trying to instigate scenes they can report and to document these to base their propaganda.   I think this behavior is more offensive than teens who allegedly circumvent the system to access adult content.

i don't find teens who circumvent the system offensive, i think its dangerous for their well being.

You said teens suck, now you're worried about their well being...

LOL!

 

 

Alt=:smileywink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Ackley Bing wrote:

 

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

with all due respect, there is a bigger picture here which i don't think you are fully comprehending. 

Why did you stop stating your opinion.  Do you need to condescend first?

 

 

Alt=:smileywink:

 

standing up for your peers is laudable but you are not grasping the full importance of teens in + 18 groups.

even some video games are rated +18,   this is done for a reason and its the same reason that LL only allow teens on PG land.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Teens can join my group that has 'mature' content?   That doesn't see right.   Help LL... why have you done that?

 

Are you talking about teens using registered teen accounts, or teens using anonymous free accounts?

As long as you've marked your groups as mature, you shouldn't be concerned (legally).  The ball is in LL's and the teens parents to moderate their access.

If you're morally concerned, then you have a problem.  You should have a problem with the internet as a whole...

 

 

Alt=:smileywink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Ackley Bing wrote:

 

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Teens can join my group that has 'mature' content?   That doesn't see right.   Help LL... why have you done that?

 

Are you talking about teens using registered teen accounts, or teens using anonymous free accounts?

As long as you've marked your groups as mature, you shouldn't be concerned (legally).  The ball is in LL's and the teens parents to moderate their access.

If you're morally concerned, then you have a problem.  You should have a problem with the internet as a whole...

 

 

Alt=:smileywink:

 

a parent may assume her child is in a safe environment, ie Teen SL which on the face of it appears to be an virtual world your grandmother would not be offended by.

its not the case however, we should be more morally concerned or we may as well not care about anything anymore.

i dont have a problem with the internet, i do however have a problem with false flags.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...