Questions about land(s)

BloodyKitty230

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2827 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a newbie at the whole land buying or whatever you'd like to call it so besides some information I was thinking about having a home for myself since I have a bit of cash flow now with a RL & SL job. I was wondering what you guys would recommend to me? I don't want anything to big, maybe just a small home one or two stories (or small land that could fit a house like that), that isn't too expensive.

Not sure if that made sense, so if you want more clarity I'll try my best to further explain.

BloodyKitty230 wrote:

I'm a newbie at the whole land buying or whatever you'd like to call it so besides some information I was thinking about having a home for myself since I have a bit of cash flow now with a RL & SL job. I was wondering what you guys would recommend to me? I don't want anything to big, maybe just a small home one or two stories (or small land that could fit a house like that), that isn't too expensive.

Not sure if that made sense, so if you want more clarity I'll try my best to further explain.

My advice would be to look online for articles about "buying and renting land in Second Life" as this is a popular question.

You might want to attend Lindal Kidd's class on "buying and renting land in Second Life" which is usually at 5pm on Fridays at Caledon Oxbridge. 

Myself, I have made every mistake in the book:

- not knowing the difference between rent and tier

- not understanding what different terms like "protected", "you can sail to Blake Sea from here", "oceanfront", "sunset view" etc....really mean

- not knowing how to determine if a plot is actually land, or just a raft or big sculpty placed over water

- not knowing how to check for nearby land owners

- not sitting on the plot long enough for all the neighborhood builds to materialize

- not remembering to check the area for breeding farms or popular nightclubs or other activities that might affect your bandwidth or even your ability to enter the sim

- in fact, my biggest mistake has always been not having the patience to wait and study the property thoroughly.

Good luck!

I would say to think how many prims you need? This will determine the size of the land you will rent. 

Mainland is great because its cheap and empty, but you have to fly around and teleport from one yellow parcel to the other and check everything! If you see many green dots on the map run away, don't rent there. This either means that some club is near or that a business has tons of alts parked high in the air to bump up traffic numbers in the parcel description. Either way, it can mean more lag to you and friends that visit you.

Mainland sims have no covenant which means your neighbour can be anyone! Private sims have covenant, sort of a list with written rules about who can rent and what type of bulds can be built in certain areas. For example there are family roleplay sims where you can rent a plot and "fit in" your cute little family home. Or you can rent in a post-apocalyptic sim and have all your neighbours in the theme. 

You have to check the owner of the land and the business he/she runs. Is it good reputation? Do they allow breedables? On the Mainland you can rent a parcel that is prefectly clean and after 2 weeks a neighbour can move in and rezz 200 pets! But same can happen on a private sim, if they don't forbid breedable pets.

I would say to pay rent one week in advance, 2 weeks top! Never pay more than 2 weeks in advance because your landlord can simply disappear with your money, he can return all your objects and ban you from the parcel, LL will not interfere. 

I have a nice landlord now, she rents rather big Mainland parcels and islands but maybe she has smaller plots too, I can check just let me know.

I would say buy land of no more than 1536 to start which would put you at $15 monthly tier. If you put yourself at $25 monthly tier (plus the $9.95 for the premium account itself) you may feel you have too big an expense. Or even less, $5 a month for 1024. 

It's a buyer's market now so take your time land shopping, figure out the content you want (which has the textures you like on the ground -- these can't be changed, i.e. New England, beach, etc.).

Or buy from the auction which has some better pieces of abandoned land put back for sale.

You get 224 prims on 1024 and 351 prims on 1536 which is more than enough nowadays for a nice mesh house and furniture. Go to the sales events like collabor88 or Lost & Found or Shiny Shabby etc. and get houses and furniture on sale when it is first released.

If you like this experience then you could transition up but the worst thing is to get stuck with land that is too big with a monthly fee you don't want to pay and then feel you have to sell your land cheap or abandon it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2827 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.