My friend had marketplace items delivered to the wrong account. Is there a fix?

Brad Oanomochi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2836 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Okay, so my friend has two accounts, one of them being made just today. He went to the marketplace to purchase items. He was logged on in the marketplace on the new account and he was on both of his accounts in world at the same time. When he purchases the items, they end up being purchased through the wrong account and getting delivered to the wrong account despite him being logged in on the new one.

Does anyone know how this happened? Is there a way to fix this besides contacting the sellers? This was over L$6,000 worth of stuff he purchased and besides contacting the sellers he doesn't really have a way of fixing this that we can find.

Additional info: We know for a fact he was on his new account on the marketplace because his older account had L$0 on it and he did check to make sure he was logged in on the correct account while on the marketplace. All the tabs he had open were only on his new account, yet somehow the purchases were delivered to his older account and the order history is showing up on the older account. This really shouldn't have happened at all.

Currently he has contacted SL support over the phone and is waiting on an email. My friend wanted me to look around for a solution here but seeing as nobody has had this problem before I went ahead and asked the question. There's no need to be rude about this.

3 answers to this question

there must been some mixing up at "your friends"  end. Being logged in with multple accounts can give confusement.

It's a matter of check and double check in that case.

"Your friend" can try to contact the seller, but there's no need for the seller to redeliver unless "your friend" pays again... "your friend" would get the items twice...so would be normal to pay for second delivery too.

A seller isn't responsible for buyers mistakes. Out of courtesy most will be helpfull in case of glitches, but nobody can force them.

And perhaps, let "your friend" post it themself, it's alot easier communicating when there's additional info asked. I don't say it's wrong this way, but direct talk is a lot easier and prevents confusion.

I suspect that most of us who manage alts have made that same mistake. It's easy to ignore the tag on the top of the page that tells you which account you are using. If it's any consolation, most people I know only do it once (and usually not with L$6000 worth of stuff).  It's very unlikely that you'll be able to get a merchant to agree to accept returns or offer a refund, especially if any of the merchandise is copiable.  Advise your friend to chalk it up as a dumb mistake, give himself a sturdy slap on the forehead, and move on.

Brad Oanomochi wrote:

Does anyone know how this happened?

It was most likely caused by cookies.  Account1 logs in and looks up stuff on the Market Place through the internal browser.  Account 2 then logs in and goes to the Market Place as well.  Only someone on that computer is already logged in so the browser uses the current session cookie already in existence.  Even tho Second Life has a web browser built in, it is still just like using an external web browser.

Brad Oanomochi wrote:

Is there a way to fix this besides contacting the sellers?

Not really, no.  You can appeal the the merchants and their support staff but it is up to them whether they feel that responding to your requests would be helpful or gullible.   I hope you can understand their point of view; it is a hard call for them as well.

Brad Oanomochi wrote:

because his older account had L$0 on it ...  This really shouldn't have happened at all.

Correct.  It shouldn't.  And it couldn't have been charged to an account with 0 L$ balance.  If I were in your place I would just chalk it up to "oh, SL is working weird today" and try not to look too closely at the old accounts transaction history.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2836 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.