AMD/AIT Hardware driver not compatiable with Firestorm viewer? Viewing mesh problem

Osiris Alpha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good morning all, so yesterday I've purchased a new all in one PC. It's by Lenovo, it has a AMD graphics / hard drive. (I didn't know this would be a problem when it comes to SL) After some research on what I can do to fix this problem and hopefully view mesh on SL successfully. I was told to download AMD Catalyst 15.1.11? , I did that , then I researched some more. I stumbled on a blog that told me I should slide some .dll files into the installation folder for Firestorm ..and it should work. In all good news, the only mesh item I could see was my mesh head at this point .. did I fix the bug? Should I wait longer to the mesh to load ? Or is there any solutions?

Also, I researched some more and I found out that the latest AMD catalyst versions (15.1.11 and up) still doesn't patch the bug?

Is there any solution here?

Synsato

Unfortunately you have made a discovery that has been known about in SL for years.  AMD/ATi support for OpenGL, the graphics programming that SL uses, is inferior to that of NVidia, the other "major player" in GPU production.  As a result Nvidia cards regularly out perform AMD cards in most aspects of SL , most notably in mesh resolution.

Over the years various driver updates have made AMD/ATi cards better or worse relative to Nvidia but the status qou has pretty much been maintained.

Short of replacing the AMD GPU with an NVidia one (which may or may not be possible with a Lenovo AIO), there is not a lot you can do, so far as I know.  Others may know more.  For your sake I hope so! :smileyfrustrated:

Synsato

Of course I had forgotten about the dreaded Webroot issue.  Indeed it can and does interfere with mesh resolution, especially with AMD gPUs.  But Drake has the best answer, join and ask in the inworld Firestorm Support Group, most languages are covered.  FSEnglish has, to my mind some of the best informed helpers in SL.

Synsato wrote:

I stumbled on a blog that told me I should slide some .dll files into the installation folder for Firestorm ..and it should work.

Don't do this. If you added those dll files to your Firestorm folder, remove them. They are not needed now. AMD fixed the bug which caused all rigged mesh to be invisible when hardware skinning was enabled in their later graphics drivers, which you have installed.

Synsato wrote:

I think it's my anti virus as well. I currently have webroot secure.

Webroot is almost certainly causing your problem. The best thing you can do is to get rid of Webroot & instead use a different antivirus software.

Webroot is not compatible with HttpPipelining that the SL viewers use & it will cause severe slow loading of textures & mesh & also make the viewers very crashy.

See these bug reports for details:

LL viewer: BUG-11314 - Graphical Errors - Webroot + Pipelining incompatibility

Firestorm viewer: FIRE-17661 - HttpPipelining - Webroot Crash with fault error ntdll.dll mesh fails to render, texture corruption

If you wish to keep Webroot (not advised) then you need to disable HttpPipelining in the viewer.

Activate the Advanced menu in the top menu bar with CTRL+ALT+D.

Advanced -> Show Debug Settings -> HttpPipelining -> Set this to FALSE.

You should then clear cache just once as you will have corrupted textures in cache.

LL viewer: Me -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Click the "Clear cache" button -> OK.

Firestorm: Avatar -> Preferences -> Network & Files -> Directories -> "Clear Cache" -> Apply -> OK.

Then relog.

If you disabled HttpPipelining & remove Webroot in the future, remember to set HttpPipelining back to TRUE again as it will give you much faster mesh & texture fetches when it's enabled, unless you use Webrot.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.