I haven't played in a while, and my account got hacked. Help please!

Triton Paine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2844 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

11 answers to this question

It's almost impossible for your account to get "hacked".  What makes you think that it has?  Have you tried updating your SL viewer?  Or doing a clean reinstall?  Or even clearing your inventory cache?  Or rebooting your router and modem to inprove your Internet connection?

If you truly have reason to believe that you accidentally gave someone your login information or that you have been scammed by a phishing operation, follow these instructions >>> https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Password-and-account-information/ta-p/700017#Section_.5

• Like 1

I didnt give anyone my login information. I used my buddies computer, which probably has keyloggers on it, to log I to SL a whIle ago and now, my entire inventory is gone, all my friends and groups have been deleted and my character is screwed up.

That's why I gave you the link that tells you what to do if you really DO feel that your account has been compromised. Hacking is almost impossible (and not really worth the trouble in SL), but people do get tricked into giving access or they leave login information where it is easy to steal. If that's what happened to you, go through the steps to report it and have Linden Lab investigate. Meanwhile, change your password and avoid your friend's computer.

I've changed the password. It's pretty unmistakable that my account has been compromised. My money is also gone, forgot to mention that. But I wouldn't delete all my friends, groups, and my inventory, which had my old SL business stuff in it that I was contemplating starting back up.

There have been great changes in how the viewer works over the last year. If you are using an old viewer, completely delete it (this is called a "Clean Install") and then download and install an up to date viewer.

See the Second Life Knowlege Base:

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

This is Triton Paine, had to use a different account as that one has been locked out pending this issue. It's not a viewer problem. My other accounts are fine, Triton has been compromised for sure. I'm curious, can Lindens revert it to a previous state? I created that account in 2007 and it has all my old business stuff on (iPwn Weaponry), almost 10 years of stuff I paid for. So can they restore it to a previous point?

That may depend on exactly how much damage was done by whoever got access to the account. I suspect that the answer is "No", but that doesn't mean that you can't ask. Open the support request ticket that you just filed on this issue and add a supplementary note with exactly that question. Instead of suggesting how they might solve the problem (by asking, for example, for them to "restore the inventory to a previous point"), I think I'd just say what you would like the outcome to be ("I'd like to recover my inventory to the way it was before someone got into it."). Let them figure out how.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2844 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.