How do I know when my cache is full?

Charolotte Caxton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

Your cache is nothing more that space set aside to temporarily store data.....mostly textures in SL.  As your cache is filled older files are deleted (actually they are overwritten with new data).  There's no way to know when the cache is full but with a clean cache and a single log in when you move anywhere in SL your cache will be full (probably several times over with all the overwriting).  Most of the time all that writing and over writing causes no problems as complete files are replaced.........the problem presents itself when a file may not be completely "deleted" before it's overwritten.  It happens.  Sometimes often, sometimes not so often.  When it does happen you get problems with textures and prims not rezzing, or you become "Ruthed"..........and other weird stuff,. 

The conventional wisdom says if you have some strange or unusual situation is to clear your cache as a first step since it's very easy and often fixes the problem.  People will argue that unnecessarily clearing the cache creates problems.............I don't subscribe to that agrument.  Clearing your cache often (as much as each log in) causes no harm..........it will simply slow down your rezzing on initial log ins after clearing the cache but once that initial rezzing is complete you are as fast as you you can expect with your computer and/or connection..

A larger cache file will slow you down more than a smaller cache size.....it's the time the viewer must spend searching the cache before it downloads from the servers.  The default 512 megs is probably optimal for most computers and connections.

When it starts spilling over on to your desktop, and you have to start mopping up stuff with a cloth, you know the cache is full. :smileyvery-happy:

As the others have said, you don't have to worry about it, unless you have issues (like items missing from your inventory). Then clearing cache can help.

- Luc -

• Like 1

I am having a difficult time accepting that last sentence. I have tried lowering cache size and increasing cache size and I am thinking I am doing better with my cache size maxed out, but that may just be my particular system and what you say may indeed be true for most systems. On the other hand, you did an excellent job in answering my question thoroughly and explaining cache to me, so thank you. :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.