How do you use Second Life to practice French foreign language skills? Is there a forum?

Jenkew08

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2820 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am wondering how do I use Second Life to practice my French skills? I  am also  wondering if there is an appropriate forum for kids in a high school level where there is some security as to whom they are speaking with. Thank you.

3 answers to this question

There are many areas that have foreign speaking folks and I would try to do a search for places such as "France" or anything similar. Many people speak French on Second Life so I am sure there is more than a few areas you can find.

As far as the high school kids, bear in mind there is an age limitation on Second Life and sadly there isn't a real way to validate who they are speaking with, so it's kind of a risk. You may wish to contact Linden Labs and see if there are some educational type areas that would allow a safe environment for them, to my best recollection there are a few around.

I hope this gives you some help and point you in the right direction to find what you need.

Thanks for posting your question and I am glad I could try to help you out.

Felicia

You could make a post in the French forum here and offer to let someone practice their English on you if you can practice your French on them. 

As far as high school students, their school could sponsor a private island that the students could not leave, use search or IM from to the outside SL world.  They could invite a French school to participate in an arrangement similar to what I suggested for you and also as a culture exchange.  The students would enter SL through the school's website and go right to the island and not the places newbs are normally sent. That is the only way I know of that students could come in to a secure SL environment.  The school would get a discount from the normal tiers on an island too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2820 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.