To rezzer or not to rezzer

Rocky Rutabaga

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This question comes from a non-scriptor, so be kind. 

I remember back in the day that object rezzers (like fish rezzers, bubble blowers, etc.) were considered hard on a sim. And that they seriously impacted performance/lag.

I have a sim, and I'd like to add fish to my undersea tableau, but if it's going to screw things up, I won't. I also have a few particle fountains. Is there a formula or rule of thumb for how much/often one can use rezzers?

What's the current opinion on this nonsense?

It's not exactly nonsense.  Rezzing does cause the servers to stall briefly.  The more complex the object is (more L.I., more vertices, etc...), the bigger the stall is.  That translates into a bit of lag on the region.  It's one of several reasons why Linden Lab and most region owners strongly discourage repeating temp rezzers, for example.  It's also one reason why there is a limit on the complexity of objects you are allowed to rez.  (I think it's still true that the servers will time out and cancel a rez if it is taking more than 20 seconds.)

In general, then, it's wiser to move objects like fish around or to use particles than to keep rezzing new ones over and over again. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.