Having trouble creating stands that display correctly in SL

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I created a few animated stands in Qavimator, and everything appears normal in the program. However when I preview it in SL, it is extremely odd. Most parts would be correct, however the stupidly annoying SL default stand pose (the one that makes you look like a completel moron) would actually override my stand no matter what priority I give it, 2, 3, or 4. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around, that any animation would override the default SL pose? For example, in the animated stand I created, my character's right leg is unmoved from its default position while her left leg fidgets around like she is nervous; the torso would occasionally rotate a bit. However when played in SL, her legs are at times slanted (since one of the default SL poses has slanted legs), her torso and head turns around whenever I move my mouse (just like the default pose), making the pose look completely glitched. I'll send a copy of the animation if needed to see how it looks like. Thanks in advance!

I have this problem with most things I create in Qavimator, with the exception of animated groundsits. It seems that anything that has to do with standing, or static groundsits, will be affected by the default SL pose.

Here is your problem. Let's assume you have the Tframe at all zero settings, which is how most people do it. If frame 2 has any part set to zero, then the default stands will override those parts. Frame 2 needs to be completely different than frame 1, or I think in qavi, it would be frame 0.

Ok, now this might sound stupid that the system works this way, but there are very good reasons for the system working like this. Imagine you make a beer bottle, and you want to make a drink animation, but you don't want to override the whole body, just the arm. You would leave every part of the body that you do not want to animate at the zero setting, and only animate the right arm. Inworld, all the parts set to zero will be controlled by the default, or an AO, while the right arm would work completely separately. There are many other things you can do with this, but drinking animations are the most obvious.

I made this video earlier in the month. It is showing hit reactions to being hit by bullets. Those hit animations will only animate the upper body and only the abdomen, chest, neck, and head. Plus, my character is holding a gun, which I only animate the upper body to hold the gun correctly. The waiste, legs and occassionally, the neck and head, are all controlled by the AO I'm wearing.

I do all my animations in Blender these days but same holds true... I never use frame 1. On Frame 2 I move all the parts to set them if I do not want the SL default animations to override those bits. Just move it a fraction and that does the trick. Another thing I do for animations is copy Frame 2 to the last frame of the animation and it runs a lot smoother through.

If you are just doing a pose on one frame and don't want any of the default stuff to bleed through, you need to move everything a tiny bit for frame 2. I have done animations playing hand instruments such as a hand shaker that I allowed all the default animations to continue to play other than the hand and arm doing the shaking so the avatar shifts through the default stand positions as it plays, though usually I do my own shifting of the avatar since the default poses tend to be so icky.

Thanks Medhue and DMom2K. Now I understand the ideology behind the overriding priorities. Yes sometimes shoulderbags and holding animations would keep the bottom half of the body untouched.

So you mean if I want everything to be overriden, for the immediate frame after the T-pose, I need to change the rotation of every single body part by at least 1, or only the major joints? Like if I rotate the thighs by 1, do I still need to rotate the legs and feet by 1?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.