Is something wrong with SL server for N.W. Europe ? no connection poss. with server since July 1st

guardianx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Does anyone know  how come the Second Life login ends up into Requesting region capabilities it does not get feedback to log into any viewer. No changes on the PC, but any viewer like Second Life Viewer or Singularity, Firestorm and all else refuse to connect, eventhough internet is fine. I suspect that SL server is out, but nothing mentioned like this on SL grid status page. Does anyone know ?  No connection possible with server since  Yesterday July 1st, 2016

3 answers to this question

Servers are not regional, so the same servers handle traffic from Europe and from North America, Africa, Australia ... When you get a message that your viewer is having trouble "requesting capabilities", that is a local problem.  Your own computer or Internet connection need attention.  "Capabilities" are the vital connections to databases that contain your inventory, your friends list, your group list, and several other important information repositories.  If you can't get access, you cannot log in. 

You may have plenty of bandwidth, so your Internet is indeed "fine" for simple things like e-mail, web browsing, watching YouTube videos, and playing fairly basic games.  It is probably not reliable, however.  You are either losing packets of information or, more likely, experiencing delays in signal transmission (long ping time).  It is not uncommon for SL residents in Europe to have ping times around 150 msec, because a signal has to travel farther to reach Europe from California than it does to reach those of us in North America.  If it takes much longer than that, though, you will see increased lag and connection issues.

There's not much that you can do to move your computer closer to California.  However, you can get off of your wireless connection, if you have been using one.  Wifi is neither supported nor recommended by Linden Lab, and it can result in some signal loss and interference.  Reboot both your router and your modem, and then restart your computer to get a firmer grasp on an IP address.  Consider adding a new DNS server address to whatever your ISP provided you.  And talk with your ISP about checking your local lines.

• Like 2

I can't login since monday. tried with account of a friend, that worked. he also visited my homelocation, that works too, but I keep getting 'We're having trouble connecting. It can be because of your internet connection (nope, cause my friend can login) or the grid's server' 

I tried everything suggested and more. I even redownloaded a few viewers to see if there is any difference, but it seems to be linked to my account somehow. it's so weird. I know they have had major problems early this week, but that should be solved by now. 

any luck with you guys?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.