21.7 ~ 25 FPS with GTX 1080 (ultra graphic option)

left Reinard

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here's what my graphics look like, by the way. Again, getting 30-60fps just through optimizing. Poor performance is not simply the cost of having user generated content. SL runs poorly because LL doesn't penalize people for filling SL with laggy, unoptimized content. If you know how to create content then you have all the skills you need to optimize that content.If SL's content creators felt any pressure at all to optimize, they'd get real good at it real fast.

39459178262_cd4c8a74a6_b.jpg

8923990017_91497d13fd_b.jpg

32818116820_d4486f2a7b_b.jpg

38570896166_8da1c53437_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

well, one observation from my experience.

It seems no one is curious to track the amound of GPU DRAM in use in their graphics card.

I installed openhardware monitor, it shows in tray: GPU load, GPU memory, CPU load, system memory. All is common to other tools, but not GPU memory.

i have 3 GB GPU DRAM on board and even at medium populated sim GPU DRAM contunuously used at 95%-99%.That means it is exhausted.

GPU exchanges wildly with it's onboard DRAM while renders each frame. So when it is exhausted and swapped into system DRAM, FPS drops.

Unfortunately openhardware monitor does not show GPU memory swap. Anyone kows the tool that shows?

In the end, SL is DRAM hungry. GPU boards tend to be shipped with minimum DRAM for price cut, and that is okay for optimized games. Unfortunately we do not have sockets and can not upgrade. Residents need High End GPU mainly because these are only equipped with plenty DRAM.

Edited by Creed Aldrin

@Penny Patton IMHO your arguments are falling in some way in the same category as mine. Although with a different pretext. What I say is, that LL will have to enforce caps on avis sooner or later. Because creators will just use what’s possible (if it makes sense or not), average users will buy what’s looking good (not minding technicallities), and the result will be an exklusive club of people with expensive hardware (at some point). At least if you a) want the full experience or b) don’t know better and frustratedly quit SL before going into the technicalities.

It’s not if you want to use those tools so much. It’s a) if you know how to use them (for the SL beginner) and/or b) if you want it all and don’t wanna limit your experience. You see I get frame rates of 40+ on ultra practically everywhere with my rig. But not everyone is crazy enough to spend as much.

Please understand I don’t complain, I just think that LL should keep SL open for (non-technical) users with older/weaker hardware. For the sake of their own economy and for the reason of having as much people online to communicate with as possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/3/2016 at 3:10 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

The new Avatar Complexity is an effort to turn that around. Set it to 200k or so for your card and try lower values to find your sweet spot. DO NOT USE UNLIMITED. That turns off the video crasher protection and leaves you vulnerable to griefers.

that slider was as well thought out and planned as Sansar was

only unlimited works that bottlenecks a royal pita.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed. The slider works like stepping the pedal in a dragster with ski boots. Plus it cuts off at 30k when I would want 40 or 50. So if your gpu could handle more, you just want griefer protection, that’s not working. 

Edited by Laokoon Lomu
Typo

8 hours ago, Laokoon Lomu said:

Plus it cuts off at 30k when I would want 40 or 50. So if your gpu could handle more, you just want griefer protection, that’s not working. 

Either you are misreading the setting or your install is messed up.  Both the LL viewer and Firestorm max at 350k (excluding unlimited), not 30k, on the complexity slider.   Or are you wanting more than 350,000 for some reason?

pic1.jpg.836eb9698889251a00927ee2969e63b3.jpg

pic2.jpg.f554e59d82fa483ea0bbad48a5c2f361.jpg

4 minutes ago, Laokoon Lomu said:

@LittleMe Jewell

You are right, it’s of course 350k. And yes, I think about 500k (my card can) and the slider is clumsy, so I’d like to see something like the performance slider with snap points, at like let’s say every 50k, starting at 100k or 200k. 

Though my computer can also handle quite a bit more than 350k, I'm not sure I see a reason to, but that is just me.  I don't do any RPing with folks that are in possibly very elaborate outfits, but I could see such happening.

Rather than a slider at all, I'd just like to be able to directly key in a number for that value.   Sliders than can go that high are way too difficult to fine-tune the setting on. 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

Generally I've found on the sliders, that if you click on it, you can then move it forwards or backwards in somewhat smaller increments using the right or left arrow keys.  However on that particular slider, there appears to not be any intermediate steps at all between 350,000 and 'no limit'.  

On 7.2.2018 at 6:55 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Though my computer can also handle quite a bit more than 350k, I'm not sure I see a reason to, but that is just me.  I don't do any RPing with folks that are in possibly very elaborate outfits, but I could see such happening.

Rather than a slider at all, I'd just like to be able to directly key in a number for that value.   Sliders than can go that high are way too difficult to fine-tune the setting on. 

It simply annoys me, when I see a jelly doll where I could see an avatar. Therefore I leave it at “No Limit” and risk a griefer kicking me out. Didn’t happen to me for quite a while, maybe as well because the sims I am in are “moderated”.

Anyone knows where the value is located in the ini files? Maybe there is a way to change the value by editing those?

Edited by Laokoon Lomu

• 7 months later...

Tbh iv`e given up trying to get this client running either the sl one or Firestorm , i have a 2x intel Xeon 24 core workstation and a gtx 1080ti

it uses 2% cpu and 15% gpu and the strange behavour starts then there is less complex stuff on screen. Cpu and Gpu use goes up and lots happening it goes down

it`s almost like there trying to make it run bad.

busy screen with 10/20 avatars less cpu and gpu usage

no avatars more cpu and gpu usage . It`s back to front

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.