Inhibit movement in edit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I thought it was a simple question, perhaps I am phrasing it incorrectly as I don't seem to be able to get an answer (in-game) from anyone.
When I am in edit mode for a piece of furniture, for example, is there any way to inhibit movement of that object when it touches another object (or, at least have the outline change color when that happens), for example when it touches the wall, or the floor or a table, etc. ?

For example, I have a hot tub that when rezzed is up in the air. I want to set it on the floor, against a wall. I thought that would be simple. I don't want to have to eyeball it, using the magnifying glass (or, whatever it is). I just want to move it down and sideways until it hits the floor and a wall.

Also, while I'm about it, is it possible to change the orientation point of an object when rotating it?

I have a violin, for example, and the default position was the wrong shoulder (the right shoulder). It was bad enough having to move it to the correct shoulder (the left) but having got it there, I needed to rotate it about the chin rest (for example) to position the neck of the violin in my hand and that is impossible, as far as I can see, unless I can move the rotation point from the center to the chin rest end.

CordeliaDeLear wrote:

I thought it was a simple question, perhaps I am phrasing it incorrectly as I don't seem to be able to get an answer (in-game) from anyone.

When I am in edit mode for a piece of furniture, for example, is there any way to inhibit movement of that object when it touches another object (or, at least have the outline change color when that happens), for example when it touches the wall, or the floor or a table, etc. ?

Nope! Although you might have success with using "Snap to Grid" in Edit and setting custom steps (using the -> button that entirely doesn't look like a button).

CordeliaDeLear wrote:

Also, while I'm about it, is it possible to change the orientation point of an object when rotating it?

Yes. :D This can be done by setting the Snap to Grid mode to "Local" while editting an attachment. It moves the axis from the point of attachment to the centre of the object. (there's no way to set custom orientation points).

More info: SL Wiki: Build Tools

Thanks for the response. I think that both the things that I was interested in...

- Ability to inhibit movement of an object when it comes into contact with other objects

and

- Ability to move rotation point of an object

would be useful additions to the edit process. I'm surprised that they aren't available already

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.