Discrimination and how it affects life and the net?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wherorangi wrote:

BilliJo Aldrin wrote:

I'm thinking of banning system avatars from my land.

:)

nuuuu!!! i will be sooo doomed

i got system avatar and neko ears

i well be soo bigotten by just about everyone if this carries on much longer

(:

Do you wanna build a Neko?

Come on let's go and play.

I never see you anymore

Come out the door

It's like you've gone away

You used to be so many

And now you're not

I wish you would tell me why!

Do you wanna build a Neko?

I really want to see a Neko.

I think it's hilarious when I get kicked from some medieval marketplace area for being a furry. It's like, oh, you didn't want my money? 

That said, species dysphoria might be a real thing. It's been paid more attention to in academia in recent years. Still... considering you can ban black avatars, women, men etc in SL, it's really not worth trying to fight for your right to be a furry everywhere. Just don't go there, they're the ones losing out, not you. :P

Cinos Field wrote:

..., species dysphoria might be a real thing. It's been paid more attention to in academia in recent years.

While this is true it is more on the lines of being humane and treating animals with dignity, not using them to experiment with, strengthing animal cruelty laws etc.  No one in academia thinks RL animals should have the same civil rights as humans.

OP, you are missing one very obvious thing.  In SL, no matter what sex, race, color, height, zoological category, or matter classification you are, YOU ARE PLAYING DRESS-UP.  You are choosing how you want to portray yourself by what you choose to wear.  Yes, wear.  If you can remove something from your base SL avi (mesh body included), then you are wearing an object, and therefore considered to be a style of dressing.  In RL, you also choose how you dress (some attachments require surgery to change, though), and not every place in RL will let you in, depending how you are dressed.  You can't go to school on any normal, run of the mill day wearing a cat costume.  You can't go into the grocery store in just your underwear.  You can't wear a T-shirt and jeans to a strictly formal affair.  Not that there is a law stating that you cannot do these things (apart from the underwear one, in the vast majority of the world), but doing so is considered to be disruptive to a certain environment and atmosphere that the owners and operators of said establishments are trying to maintain.  

Just like any sim on SL.

There are many places on SL, and there are places that cater to pretty much every type of individual sense of style and SL being.  There are furries only sims that will remove anyone who is not following the (and say it with me) dress code that is established by the owners of the sim.  And since sims not administered by an employee of Linden Labs are considered to be privately owned, you are allowed on such places with the goodwill and graces of said owners.  And as with any privately owned establishment, they reserve the right to refuse access to anyone they feel is not adhering to a certain standard of appearance or behavior.  This is not discrimination; you are the one who chooses how to represent yourself both appearance and behavoir-wise on SL, not a random pairing of genes.  If you think that SL does not matter RL in this same manor, then walk into any law enforcment office wearing a "F**k the police* shirt covered in fake blood and see how long you will manage to stay on your feet, let alone be allowed to roam freely inside.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm doing nothing wrong, relax.

Posting youtube vids with "faminly friendly" videos of "overweight individuals publicly jiggling their bodies in the air" or "hippopotamuses at a zoo, defecating infront of laughing children with their parents" or "donkeys and or jackasses brayering" is perfectly well within no reason to have " ******* in a twist" as you yourself mildy put it.

Again sincerely,

Devan Miami

Please please please relax... Zen... All is zen.. Budha;  chant;  meditate;  The Sea and the Ebb & Flow of it all blowing through the vastness between one's ears! There's no need for that kind of reponse, was there?

Think not..

Thank you very much?

Maybe you're right. Maybe the Lindens actually do in fact remove posts every hour, minute, second, nano-second by the day. Most certainly wouldn't want that job.

Here let me head-stick you a song: Sailing by Christopher Cross.. Enjoy.

Sincerely,

Devan Miami

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.