PEP FYI, OMG in OED, LOL, too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

THE OED (ie; not the USA one) and Oxford University have long recognised formulations those of us who were educated (eg; prior to c 1990) would naturally take as mistakes, viz:

• there are some things, more things and, <-- Oxford comma
  • It takes an Oxford fool to recognize another <-- (US) 'z'
  • Getting a batchelor's degree from Oxford in certain subjects automatically gets you a Master's (says he, MA (Oxon))

The essential truth is that in. for instance, Shakespeare's time there simply were no standards for spelling and punctuation.  Apart from popular usage the only sensible work we have is (US) Fowler's.  He took a mess and tried to make sense of it but did not, as far as I know, introduce any new rules. he simplu eliminated old, redundant ones.

In addition he gave 'standard' spellings to a number of things, cf 'gray', which makes much more sense than 'grey' phonetically and is at least as old in usage.

:-( I'm English and I'd love to say whatever we speak is, by definition, better English than foreingers (Init!).  Unfortunately Fowler has often given US English a better grounding than we have ourselves.  But they'll never be forgiven for 'nite', etc.

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

I'm English and I'd love to say whatever we speak is, by definition, better English than foreingers (Init!).  Unfortunately Fowler has often given US English a better grounding than we have ourselves.  But they'll never be forgiven for 'nite', etc.

"His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales was reported by The Times " as complaining to a British Council audience that American English is ‘very corrupting.’ Particularly, he bemoaned the fact that ‘people tend to invent all sorts of nouns and verbs and make words that shouldn’t be.’

"The Prince concluded: ‘We must act now to insure that English – and that, to my way of thinking, means English English – maintains its position as the world language well into the next century." His concern seems to be as much commercial as merely ethnocentrically aesthetic, the English language being one of England’s most popular exports, along with gossip about the escapades of the Royals. The Prince, after all, was only doing his bit to keep the English pecker up."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.