: weird texture that changes each time logging in

Ry0ta Exonar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Okay, so I got a new blouse with some prim parts and noticed a texture on the sleeve cuffs and some prims of the peplum changes each time I log in! Of course it's not an animated texture.

weirdtexture.jpg

Does anyone know what causes this and a solution? Thanks.

Edit : I cleared cache twice but it didn't work.

9 answers to this question

My guess is that the shirt you purchased came in a package containing, at least, three different versions.  I also suspect that you have, at least, two different viewers that you use on a regular basis.  If you bought an tried on the shirt and tried each version on while using one viewer and now you're using another viewer you are seeing a cache issue.  It seems all viewer developers use the same cache location and changing from one viewer to another often causes what you were wearing in the other viewer to show random clothing worn in the previous viewer.

For ease of explanation say you are using V-2 when you tried on the shirt and you tried each version to see how it looked.  Then, later, you log in using Pheonix and see you're wearing the same shirt but a different version.  So you change to the version you want and go about your business.  Next time you log in the shirt has changed again (using either viewer).  Do that a couple times and your cache that the viewer uses to retrieve what you were wearing at the last log in is all mixed up..........it changes depending on what the viewer picked up as the last shirt you were wearing.

For a fix, in each viewer note the location of the cache (on the same tab you use to clear your cache...the location box to the left of the "clear cache" or "reset" button).  Then navigate to that location on your computer and manually delete the folder (do that for each viewer without logging in).  Then launch one of the viewers and change the cache location (you can leave one at the default but change all others to something else).

That should fix your problem, if it's what I think it is.

• Like 1

I didn't recognize those textures anywhere.

Little while ago I asked some people in world what they looked like to them and they seemed to see what those prim parts should be (i.e. purple cuffs and flexible clusters), so it's apparently an issue on the part of my pc or something, but this is the first time that I encounterd this strange phenomenon in my almost 3 years of sl and everything other than the texture on those prims is just fine, so I've decided to not care about it. Thanks.

Thanks Peggy for your insight. That shirt came with only one version (they have 3 versions for sale but I got just purple version). I'm using only Imprudence, but I got your point very well. Hope those information you mentioned will be helpful to those people who will come here looking for a solution for their trouble in the future.

Ry0ta Exonar wrote:

Thanks Peggy for your insight. That shirt came with only one version (they have 3 versions for sale but I got just purple version). I'm using only Imprudence, but I got your point very well. Hope those information you mentioned will be helpful to those people who will come here looking for a solution for their trouble in the future.

Ooh thats interesting, reminds me of something weird that happened to someone with one of my buildings once. There were 4 cut & hollowed prims in the corners of the building which had originally had the base wall texture on all faces of the prims. In the finished building, the face you can see had a different texture on it, which everyone saw, including the customer. She later came back after an update on Phoenix viewer, because she could only see those 4 prims with the base wall texture on them & it was the same for her partner, so they thought the texture has disappeared.

After exchanging snapshots, it was shown that indeed the 2 of them saw the old texture and everyone else saw the new texture, it made no difference if they relogged or anything they always saw the old texture. Phoenix released a viewer with some fixes for texture problems and it instantly fixed both her and her partner.

You recognise those textures as being other versions of that shirt, which would imply that the creator made one shirt and retextured the prims for each version & you are seeing the old textures at different times. Those prims look like they are both cut and hollowed just like the ones in my buidling.

My suggestion would be to check with support for your Viewer, or if they have a JIRA system look to see if such texture problems have been reported for that version. While we were testing in the case I saw, the customer  also had no problems on the previous version of Phoenix, which she reinstallled at one point to test it, fortunately their devs had already worked out a fix for the update by the time she noticed the problem.

Well no, those textures are not from other versions of the shirt nor from the other products from that store.

The texture in question changes each time I log in, so it has kinda unlimited variations (not limited to just the 3 shown on the picture and the way it is supposed to be isn't any one of them) lol.

I checked Imprudence JIRA and forums and found a post depicting a very similar experience that I had.

http://forums.kokuaviewer.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=950&p=6458&hilit=texture+change#p6458

The version of the viewer I was using is 1.3.0.0 though.

So I thought of trying out a different viewer and installed phoenix firstorm and lo and behold I could see the texture as it should be for the first time! Glad to have been able to know where the shoe pinches. Thanks for all your help. :o)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.