How do you stay in touch with your friends?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was just thinking about how things have changed.  I used to use my dashboard page as my home page, because it was a way of keeping in touch with what my friends were talking about.  Whenever I sat at the computer, the first thing I wanted to look at was what were the latest threads in the forum?  I rarely look at my dashboard anymore since we've changed over to the new forum format.  And when I do look at it I am disappointed.  I know how much money I have and I know what groups I belong to.  I have a pretty good idea of when my friends are online and there's nothing much the dashboard has to tell me anymore.  So now the first place I go when I sit at my computer is Twitter.

How do you stay in touch?

I used to have my home page set to my dashboard, just because of the recent posts section. That's what brought me to the forums in the first place. I would probably never have started being a participant if it weren't for that. Now that that doesn't appear on my dashboard, I only ever go there to see who's online before I sign in (if I even feel that is necessary, which isn't often).

I love SLU, so I usually start there. And the SL Offworld Forum is nice, though not as active. I could see that becoming the next generation SLU. Then I come here.

I still enjoy it here, though it took a while to get used to the new format. The one thing I do differently now is that I have my preferences set to subscribe me to any thread I've posted on. Otherwise, I find it hard to keep up with them.

I wish there was a way to over look the new posts for the whole forum instead of just the new threads. I'd like to know what discussions are going on right now, across the board, without having to go into each subsection or having to jump over to SLA separately.

I just created a Twitter account last week and I still haven't gotten the hang of it. I don't understand how to follow the flow of conversation there yet. So it's kind of frustrating for me, but I'll give it time. I have yet to tweet anything, but no one follows me anyway, so what's the point... lol.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I just created a Twitter account last week and I still haven't gotten the hang of it. I don't understand how to follow the flow of conversation there yet. So it's kind of frustrating for me, but I'll give it time. I have yet to tweet anything, but no one follows me anyway, so what's the point... lol.

...Dres

/me smiles

I do not use Twitter but I have read twitter posts and 'conversations'.  They are not conversations, so much as blips and, well, tweets.  There is no 'there', there.  However, fans of Twitter cannot seem to get  or give enough short bursts of wordage.

kattatonia Wickentower wrote:

I was just thinking about how things have changed.  I used to use my dashboard page as my home page, because it was a way of keeping in touch with what my friends were talking about.  Whenever I sat at the computer, the first thing I wanted to look at was what were the latest threads in the forum?  I rarely look at my dashboard anymore since we've changed over to the new forum format.  And when I do look at it I am disappointed.  I know how much money I have and I know what groups I belong to.  I have a pretty good idea of when my friends are online and there's nothing much the dashboard has to tell me anymore.  So now the first place I go when I sit at my computer is Twitter.

How do you stay in touch?

Hm. Same as before: inworld!

With a very few I have contact via e-mail, if we can't be inworld for a while, but to be honest..I don't use fora for staying in touch with my friends.

Laughing at Rhonda's response, for that's how Janelle snared me in the first place!!! :smileysurprised:

Generally, though, when I first boot up the PC, I check my emails, deal witih RL stuff, then log into SL. Usually there are a load of messages to respond to (which will have also gone to my email, so I can have a clue who I'm going to speak with first, and sometimes group chat is good to get involved with.  Forums are way down the list, especially with this appalling software to climb over. 

Facebook and Twitter are a no no for me. I have a Facebook account, with just two SL friends on it, the rest are an assortment of long-time RL friends and some ex-workmates. Time slips through my fingers when I'm in SL, and if I got too involved with the social websites to the degree the young folk do, I'd be 90, then dead, then gone before I'd had a chance to start living my life!

I agree with you.  I do not like the forum changes and am very disappointed as I read it.  The dashboard is relatively useless other than for looking at basic account information.  I still refuse to use facebook and twitter to find out what is going on with Linden Labs and SL activities.  Let's face it, both third party sites are trends and security threats.

I see the new forum changes as only being a way for Linden Labs to hide information they don't want the general public to see.  The stats are gone, the list of destinations is poorly done and slanted by who must be willing to pay to be on the list, and general information I eagerly looked forward to in the past is just gone.  Granted, the banter of the past forums could get out of hand at times, but there was a lot of useful information there too.  I find as Linden Labs continues making these changes I log on less and less.  A friend and I made short lists yesterday of people we have known for years and chatted with on a regular basis and I counted a minimum of 30 people that have written me and said they are leaving SL and will keep in touch by email or yahoo and my friend counted at last 15.  This is the first time in three years that I can say I can log on and there is not one person on my friends list online at any given point in time.  

zachery Viper wrote:

A friend and I made short lists yesterday of people we have known for years and chatted with on a regular basis and I counted a minimum of 30 people that have written me and said they are leaving SL and will keep in touch by email or yahoo and my friend counted at last 15.  This is the first time in three years that I can say I can log on and there is not one person on my friends list online at any given point in time.  

And all your friends leave SL because of new forum software? Seriously?

I was inworld for 3 years before I entered the forums and am pretty sure I can still do without them...It's fun and educational at times yes, but not THE reason for being in SL. Well, not for me.

No changes for me.   

None of my friends post on the SL forums.  (Some of my friends posted back on the old SLX forums, I even met one of my close friends on that forum...but they stopped posting in the forums long ago...although they are still all active in SL)

I check my email daily, that is how I stay in contact with friends.  Some email me directly, some send me inworld messages that will show up in my email. (one is also on my RL FaceBook)

My friends know me beyond and outside of SL, so this (the forums), has never been my point of contact place.

Most of my in-world friends don't post on the forums.  There are a number of friends who I met on the forums and later friended in world who no longer post here much.  So mostly I stay in touch with sl friends by communicating in-world. I have 3 or 4 sl friends on my rl FB friends list and its fun to keep up with their lives that way.  Sometimes we communicate through Skype or other IM's too.  I don't Tweet and I rarely post updates on FB (only rl, I don't discuss SL on facebook - or anyplace else really). 

I totaly agree that the dashboard is no longer an interesting place to visit.

No change for me,  tho - I also miss the dashboard - it was a quick way to see what was going on in here.

I keep in touch with my long distance friends via skype, email, phone,  inworld, yahoo, forum & once in a blue moon, on msn & FB. 

I set up a twitter acct. once,  tried it - but it's tmi for me.  I might try it again,  I might not. 

As long as I can keep in touch, and spend quality time with my friends ...  I can live without Twitter. 

jumping0048.gif

Things have changed with the Dashboard and its Forum info out of the picture. If you had asked this question in mid-February I'd have said inworld nearly exclusively with the little bit of give and take that comes from mutual posts to a Forum thread a distant second. Only with one of my oldest friends do I have an email connection and in truth we only use it to send files now and then. It's nice to have, though, in case things go wrong in RL.

I do like the PM feature; it's a great way to connect from RL, the place where I spend most of my time. I've found it very useful. As it happens, with all the back and forth of using PM's and other things I also now have another friend with whom I share email.

Thus, my answer now is: Inworld mostly, PM second, Forum posts third and email fourth.

Dres, feel free to give me a follow on Twitter (NathanScorpio). You can then follow most of the Twitter regulars through me. PM me if you need any help doing so. Oh, and follow Torley. Torley is essential. So are the main SL accounts. 

The thing to keep in mind is that a twitter conversation is much more like a RL conversation than a forum conversation. When you talk with a group of friends in RL, you're doing so in sentences, not paragraphs. So adjust to that mindset. 

The biggest key for Twitter in general is to figure out who to follow. No matter what the subject, no matter what the interest, there are people on Twitter tweeting about it. For example, I’m a big Cardinals baseball fan and Packer football fan. All the regular beat reporters who follow the Cardinals are on Twitter, so while I’m listening to a game, I can read their comments on the game. Most of the big name Packer players are on Twitter, and while they obviously can’t tweet during a game, I can see what they say before and after, without having it filtered through traditional media.

And it isn’t just sports. Movies, music, books, politics, finance – whatever your interests, you can find people talking about it. Again, drop me a message if you need or want help. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.