Second Life as a 3D viewer?

Incony Hathaway

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3868 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Probably there is already a thread in the forums considering the topic, and if there is.. i hope someone gives a link.

If not, my question is, how difficult would it be, to enable Second Life to use the same "kind" of system that 3D TV uses, to enable content to be seen in 3D using glasses or similar means?

Second life already has the 3D  info, but what it lacks is the ability to have two views - the eye views on the same screen that make 3D possible..

I know that some objects in Second Life would really benefit from such ability..

How hard would that be to do, even as a limited area solution.. ie,  even if folks pay extra to have such a function..?

A resident made a 3D viewer for SL back in 2008. I have no idea if its still available or supported. As you suggest, you really need to have 2 view points for the 3D effect to work, so if the viewer relies on just splitting the red and cyan colour channels it probably doesn't work that great anyway.

I found a link to a blog post about the viewer: http://www.vintfalken.com/dales-3d-stereo-viewer-for-second-life/

What can work is turning SL pics into 3D images. I have been dabbling with this and have posted a few images on Koinup. There is a link with these pics to a tutorial on how to create 3D images of your own if it interests you.

Well I know it wont work with the nVidia 3D Vision setup for 2 reasons:

-LL removed(or so it seems) the ability to run SL in full screen mode.

-nVidia's 3D drivers dont support OpenGL(Second Life's rendering system)

As far as red/cyan anaglyph mode, I think Kirsten's Viewer has(had?) some functionality added at one point, I could never get it to work though. Might want to try that.

Also, IZ3D has a free video driver that is made for a few different types of 3D which could possibly work with SL (I tried this quite a while ago, before I got nVidia 3Dvision, didnt work for me).

Thanks Lusus, and Jay, now i am really interested . Certainly i can see the possibility of creating 3D pictures from SL stills.

I am not sure of the use for such pictures, but i see that they would make web based content of greater appeal, as in the world map URL content,

Ive used the ability of Microsoft Internet Explorer to use transparency. That is, one can have two web pages in exactly the same position on screen - one on top of the other, and either fade by transparency a part of the "top" page to show the page beneath it.. or the whole page..  the pages keep their borders, but whatever is inside can be made more and more transparent by choice.. one can make the page completely transparent.  i used Hotkey to do that.

That is a long way round  a simpler solution i think.. but you see that one can in theory have two views of the same point on the same screen.. its complicated because one needs two avatar views of the same point at a precise angle  ( the eye views ) or one takes one view and then moves to the other, and opens that view on top of the first.. 

ive not tried colourising pics to get the same effect.. so i am going to look at the links given.. 

For me, its because i want to use sound to light, ( something else SL cannot do easily yet ) and combine that with 3D viewing to enable better realism.. ( imagine a Mesh based waterfall for example that splashed and moved realistically based on sound input )

i am now going to delve deeper in ways to enable 3D viewing...

This would work with third party software like iZ3D if they had not removed full screen mode..

You gotta love it when new versions are really a downgrade...

I had a long break and came back to second life today and was disturbed by how this feature was removed from 2.x.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been able to get Nvidia 3D vision to work with google earth in 3D while windowed, and I'm just about to check if it can do the same in GL mode...

And no, it only runs in 3D using Direct X.. >>; I heard it 3D vision enabled the OpenGL compatability again, so it was worth a shot..

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3868 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.