viewer keeps crashing at slb13 event especially the stages and gift area

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Things to try:

1) Lower graphics settings, especially draw distance, especially when moving. Don't forget to lower the Avatar Complexity setting if you're on the LL viewer.

2) Wear system everything, no mesh, no prims, nothing scripted. What matters more to you, seeing your hair or the event? :matte-motes-smile:

3) Ditch the AO. Who cares if you're duckwalking, it can really help.

4) Try a different viewer.

The first three are my standards for things like Hair Fair. A friend used to have to switch viewers for events, but that was a while ago. Also, go slowly so your viewer doesn't have to cope with so much new stuff at once. Waiting for a slower time of day helps too. If you really want to be in a particular place at a particular time, try moving your av to the place ahead of time when it's quieter and leaving it there.

Hopefully something in there will be enough to let you visit successfully.

The big problem with the stages are that events happen at particular times.

As near as I can tell from my experience, it's the graphics that are overloading. And some of them are rather garish. I;ve seen a suggestion, elsenet, that the player should wear sunglasses at the Cake Stage.

Mesh: it can be horribly slow to load, The alpha maps are hopefully going to hide your naked body from the fascinated gaze of the people around you, but I have seen some mesh clothes that are gigantic, three or four times the size of the person wearing them until the last stage of the process occurs. Things such as boots and shoes are tolerable, though some mesh stuff has a crazy-high polygon count.

Flexi-prims: chiefly long hair and skirts. That's another high-load class of item.

Furries need to be a little bit careful, but with a little care they can have a lower render-weight than some human in a fancy dress. One thing I have done is make a version of my usual AV with several components linked into a single linkset without scripts. I use it for things such as flying, where it make a difference. My normal furry head uses six components, with various scripts for jaw and ear movement Welding them into a single unscripted linkset makes a difference for a sim crossing, and reduced the render weight a lot.

Classic clothing, withoui mesh or other attachments, can look pretty good. And the texture baking system means that other people get all those clothing layers "baked" to a single texture, which helps a lot in busy places.

Some people do seem to use big textures, whatever the item.

There are one or two 3rd-party viewers which have 64-bit versions. That helps. They cannot be used to upload a mesh to the SL servers, and there are maybe one of two other things they cannot do, because the Havok code SL uses still isn't 64-bit, but you get better memory handling. It suggests that SL13B has turned out to be badly set up for the standard Linden viewer. I am beginning to think that the Lindens need to stop adding fancy features because they're making the Grid too complicated for 32-bit viewers.

arabellajones wrote:

There are one or two 3rd-party viewers which have 64-bit versions. That helps. They cannot be used to upload a mesh to the SL servers, and there are maybe one of two other things they cannot do, because the Havok code SL uses still isn't 64-bit, but you get better memory handling.

You actually can upload mesh successfully  using the FS 64 bit viewer. Yes, a few options are gone but I haven't noticed any issues in several years with houses, home decor and furniture and even a few clothes.  Just wanted to note that.

My personal "best bet" hint for laggy places is to wait a few days for the first folks crowds to calm down. Even the birthday celebration is pretty calm then.  Agreed that going in basic wear like we all did in the olden days is a good plan, BUT unfortunately most folks are not.

You CAN look at your NEARBY listing of avatars and DERENDER them from there (this on Firestorm; I don't know if the Linden viewer has derender by now). That is a great help if lag is an issue. Folks of course were told NOT to use giant texuters on most things (mesh was exempt) but not everyone listens :D.

Flying is almost always better than walking if that is part of your issue (again, old Hair Fair days :D).

Funny you should mention crashing there...

I went earlier this morning. It was really quiet, only a handful of avatars per sim. No noticeable lag that I experience when such places get busy.

And yet, Firestorm (64-bit) completely crashed out three times in twenty minutes. I don't usually get anything like that, even in the busiest of faires where it can take five minutes after TP'ing in before I can even move properly.

I gave up. I feel there's something not quite right with this; I could see no reason for such odd crashes.

You don't tell us which viewer you are using or anything about your computer. When asking tech or performance problems include information about your viewer and computer. Click the viewer's HELP->ABOUT... and paste that info into your post. Use OPTIONS in the upper right of the post to edit.

When viewers crash you can look in the viewer logs to find the reason.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.