Mapping Sansara Continent

Icarus Fallen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen the NCI maps made by Carl Metropolitan? Here is a link to a 2008 version showing Sansara for comparison:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wizzy_gynoid/4101685045/in/photostream/

His maps update automatically inworld. I'll post a current version of it later today. Nice work and fun discussion! I love how the world has been shaped and come to be known in different ways by different folks’ perspectives.

Icarus, thank you for your post on the ERC, much appreciated. For fairness, I have to point out that the last picture titled Mowry is not part of the East River Community. The place is the Mowry Bay Yacht Club, which is not part of the community.

As for your map revision, thank you but I think my suggestion makes more sense. What I suggests has to do with historical reasons and how residents name the area, not to promote our community. Also, the area I indicated is relative to the rivers flowing there and it is larger than the actual community. Our community is about 3-4 regions smaller. Anyway, it's your project, you asked for feedback but ultimately it's your decision.

Im my lil personal quest for finding the oldest sim in the SL grid and even the old existing build still rezzed ... this is what I found.  (I talked to a friend of mine that sorta helped me sort some of my initial facts out as she is one of the oldest beta users in sl).

The oldest sim in SL is the sim of NATOMA (although it might have been co-rezzed about the same time as a couple others). 

It was supposedly a welcome sim way back when.  It would make sense that it is the oldest sim in the grid as it has a lot of historical REAL OLD builds still rezzed, including the oldest prims still rezzed and which has been put up as a monument by the Lindens.

Its a statue called "THE MAN" - real simple build but still...it was created by OldJohn Lindenon July 19th, 2002 at 2:08pm.  It stand on a hill called Phillips Hill.

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Natoma/61/205/41

The hill stand behind the famous mecca for Noon Builders - The Ivory Tower Library of Primatives.

Also on this ancient sim are many other still rezzed oldddd builds.  :)

I am sure most of you know this stuff but in case u didnt.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

Im my lil personal quest for finding the oldest sim in the SL grid and even the old existing build still rezzed ... this is what I found.  (I talked to a friend of mine that sorta helped me sort some of my initial facts out as she is one of the oldest beta users in sl).

The oldest sim in SL is the sim of NATOMA (although it might have been co-rezzed about the same time as a couple others). 

It was supposedly a welcome sim way back when.  It would make sense that it is the oldest sim in the grid as it has a lot of historical REAL OLD builds still rezzed, including the oldest prims still rezzed and which has been put up as a monument by the Lindens.

Its a statue called "THE MAN" - real simple build but still...it was created by OldJohn Lindenon July 19th, 2002 at 2:08pm.  It stand on a hill called Phillips Hill.

The hill stand behind the famous mecca for Noon Builders - The Ivory Tower Library of Primatives.

Also on this ancient sim are many other still rezzed oldddd builds. 
:)

I am sure most of you know this stuff but in case u didnt.

As was already noted, Da Boom is region #1, not Natoma. Sadly, there isn't much of historical significance left in that region.

Natoma is an early one, and home to many early artifacts like The Man (which was part of the original attempt at a city, back in Alpha days). You can also find some of the items from LindenWorld (the amusement park, not the alpha) near there, like the Senso game, and a copy of Sinatra Cartier's Spook House. Be sure to also check out the  Arch'D Linden Grande in front of the Ivory Tower.

Of course, Newbie Corral, the boat pond, and the Natoma branch of Avatar Central are long gone..

As far as oldest builds, may I suggest this page by Lalo Telling, which covers several of the earliest artifacts in SL. Surprisingly, The Man is only the 6th oldest.

I wish I had one of those nickles :-(

I am loving this thread. I have spent time trying to figure out the timeline for the continent myself, and I am pleased that there are folks doing this.

I love the antiquity of Lakeville, and the surrounding areas. There is some abandoned land nearby that's might just be available if anyone wants a nice neighbor with a bucolic sim.

Keep up the good work.

@Icarus, I like the way you marked the East River area. It's an acceptable compromise. :)

I still recommend adding a reference to Mowry Bay. It's a historical landmark.

Do we have permission to use your map (with proper credits) once finished? I'd love to display it in our City Hall.

Marianne McCann wrote:

Indigo Mertel wrote:

I still recommend adding a reference to Mowry Bay. It's a historical landmark.

If so, which other landmarks? The Governor's mansion? The Man? NCI in Kuula? Sutherland Dam? Ahern Welome Area? Ivory Tower?

I think it should be limited to landmarks that are clearly visable on the map. Mount G'al in Mahulu is the only one that comes to mind.

Indigo Mertel wrote:

Mowry Bay is a geographical area, Marianne, not a monument. Historically it has been called so for a number of years.

Perhaps landmark wasn't the proper word to be used, sorry about that.

No worries! Just pondering what other spots would/should be included...

• 2 weeks later...

Icarus, I love it!

I did a few large-format charts last summer as well, showing the Sansara changes through the end of August, although I was primarily focusing on the sailing regions: http://metaversesailing.wordpress.com/2010/09/12/sansara-shines

Here's a low-gain view of one of those charts. The region names I used were from SL-Wiki,
and hopelessly ancient. :smileysurprised: (Things change rapidly around here)

sansara-aug-29-small-annotated.jpg

Here's a full-size 6,000pixel -wide version of the chart with all the details:
http://metaversesailing.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/sansara-aug-29-large-annotated.jpg

Michael Linden also made a rather wondrous nautical chart of the Sea of Fables region;
I use it often to make sailboat race charts.

Sea+of+Fables+chart+V2.jpg

You can get a full size version of Michael's map here.

I think your project sounds GREAT; I can't wait to see how it turns out!

P.S: Where did all the Cape Cod names come from in Bay City Westside??

Jane Fossett wrote:

P.S: Where did all the Cape Cod names come from in
Bay City Westside
??

Cool maps.  As to the Cape Cod names... I'd blame the former Blue Linden who, if memory serves, was originally from that area. His fingerprints are all over the former Teen Grid.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.