Mapping Sansara Continent

Icarus Fallen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Bay -body of water forming an indentation of the shoreline, larger than a cove but smaller than a gulf, body of water partially enclosed by land but with a wide mouth, allowing access to the sea.

Lake -is usually defined as a body of water large enough to have at least one wind-swept beach.  Also, lakes tend to have much more irregular shorelines, with coves and so forth, while ponds tend to allow one to take them all in visually from a single location. Lakes are fed by rivers, creeks, and or springs.

Sea -continuous body of water covering most of the surface, especially this body a division of an ocean or a large body of water partially enclosed by land An inland body of water, esp. if large a large lake or landlocked body of water

Ocean -large body of water into which the great ocean is regarded as being divided, (see Sea).

Forgot to mention, your Map is awesome! :smileyhappy:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowl Paine wrote:

The Oldest Regions could have a section, Old World,

Is Linden Memorial Park included in Sansara?

I have a problem with The Bay of Space Pigs mainly because I purchased land adjacent to it. How about calling it something else? It's the only lake I know of that has the SL Logo on it.

What is a space pig? Is it like a spider pig?

The oldest regions are the San Francisco regions, followed by the color regions. Linden Lab, a San Francisco-based company who took their name from the San Francisco Alley they started on, named many of the original regions (beginning with Da Boom) after San Francisco alleys in the SOMA area.

Linden Memorial Park is on the north coast of the Corsica continent.

The Bay of Space Pigs is a play on the "Bay Of Pigs" crises from the early 1960s. Harry Linden (who crashed in the Mohrr region, in the middle of the bay) was also a "space warthog," hence the naming.

Marianne McCann wrote:

Knowl Paine wrote:

The Oldest Regions could have a section, Old World,

Is Linden Memorial Park included in Sansara?

I have a problem with The Bay of Space Pigs mainly because I purchased land adjacent to it. How about calling it something else? It's the only lake I know of that has the SL Logo on it.

What is a space pig? Is it like a spider pig?

The oldest regions are the San Francisco regions, followed by the color regions. Linden Lab, a San Francisco-based company who took their name from the San Francisco Alley they started on, named many of the original regions (beginning with Da Boom) after San Francisco alleys in the SOMA area.

Linden Memorial Park is on the north coast of the Corsica continent.

The Bay of Space Pigs is a play on the "Bay Of Pigs" crises from the early 1960s. Harry Linden (who
) was also
hence the naming.

Thank you Marianne, I now recall seeing the crashed warthog on an island in the Lake (bay).

Harry has an interesting sense of humor.

@holocluck ok I renamed Bay City and Bay City West.

Welsh, Clementina and Hawthorne are named for SF streets so I included them.

I have Campus in the Linden Village section, but I just visited Grasmere and couldn't see any LL content ... it came online with the rest of Hidden Lakes and has the same name theme so I think I'll leave it in there.

Renamed The Suburbs.

@knowl I'm only including land that you can get to without teleporting ... the weapon testing boxes may as well be anywhere on the grid ...

Bay of Space Pigs is what the Lindens have called the parcels in that area ... I think it may have been the Sea of Omidyar at some stage?

Not sure where Linden Memorial Park is?

Sansara-A3-copy.gif

Version 3: confined The Suburbs to the land sims, removed the Luna sims from Nova Albion (I may make a separate region called Luna?).

Took the west channel out of Bay City but left the sim where the Bay City Fairground is.

Are Hau Koda, Moose Beach, and the duplicate Moose Beach in Bay City Westside technically parts of the city they're attached to?

Icarus Fallen wrote:

Are Hau Koda, Moose Beach, and the duplicate Moose Beach in Bay City Westside technically parts of the city they're attached to?

I don't see why the beaches wouldn't be parts of the city.  Hau Koda contains Bay City Municipal Airport.  I'm inclined to consider Bay City West and Bay City part of the same entity (maybe eastside and westside a la Tulsa and Portland (which both contain similar water-based divisions).

Let's try this again.  First...

Bay City Etc.jpg

1. Luna and Nova Albion

Luna (and Coney) made up the LindenWorld amusement park back in 2003. The causeway out of Dore (and the obelisks nearby) are the only remaining markers of this time in situ. Luna became the Luna Oaks Galleria around December 2003.

Nova Albion's creation was initially reported by Haney Linden on March 9th, 2004, with Magellan Linden further indicating the discovery of Nova Albion on March 18th. Specifically:

"Greetings, During a recent excavation at the Luna Oaks shopping mall I discovered evidence of a lost city beyond the western edge of the known world..." - Magellian Linden

Many in Nova Albion include Luna as part of their whole, given that the Nova Albion Trolley services Luna, and due to other geographical features that link Luna to Nova Albion (Most notably, the causeway). You would be correct in including it as part of Nova Albion, or in keeping Luna as a separate entity. Some Residents would presumably prefer the former (and I am one of them), though I note the three month difference between the spaces.

(Source: http://secondlife.wikia.com/wiki/Luna_Oaks and http://secondlife.wikia.com/wiki/Nova_Albion

2. Bay City, initial implementation

Opening to the public on May 8th, 2008, with sales shortly thereafter, the initial implementation of Bay City onto the main grid included the 12 Residential regions as well as nine Linden owned regions.  These are all part of Estate 1, and is set separately from Estate 0 (the rest of the mainland). Each of these are considered "Bay City," though many might further slice off bits into more exacting terminologies, e;g;, the Cannel, Channel Island, Moose Beach, etc. Nevertheless, each of these are, for all intents and purposes, part of Bay City, and should be labeled as such.

3. Hau Koda

The home of the Bay City municipal Airport. It was brought on to replace the initial plans for "Hub Island," which would have been roughly where the Grub Beach region is today. It's "theme' was chose by members of the Bay City Alliance, and it is considered one of Bay City's two infohubs. It opened on June 25th, 2009.

(Source: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Bay_City and http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LDPW#Bay_City , amongst others)

4. Gulf of Lauren

A separate water area North of Bay City, the Gulf of Lauren was created in November 2008. It is shared by Bay City and the Suburbs. The East side of the waterway blends into the suburbs, with a dock to service them. The Western side has canal ways and other Bay City features.

5. Teen Grid Bay City aka Bay City Westside

In May 2008, the Teen Grid gained a carbon copy of the Main Grid's Bay City. It initially had the same contigent of twelve Residential regions, but only eight Linden owned regions (there was no version of Cape Haven there). With the merge of the grids in January of 2011, the Teen Grid Bay City was merged with the Main Grid. With this, a few changes were made. Owens Beach, Blue Channel, and Shannavay were added to fill out the waterway gap between the Gulf of Lauren and the Bay City Westside. Davis Gulf (their analog for Battery Passage) was taken offline. I have designated the additions separate on the map above. As they came online at the same time as the Westside, I am inclined to include them with the Westside, though one could argue it is part of the Gulf of Lauren, or even some other, future body of water.

Note that there may be additional waterways in this area in the future, with the possibility of two above the Weston and Oak Bluffs area, as well as the much anticipated Northern Passage around the color regions and up to ANWR.

(Source: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Bay_City and http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LDPW#Bay_City , amongst others)

Baloo Uriza wrote:

I don't see why the beaches wouldn't be parts of the city.  Hau Koda contains Bay City Municipal Airport.  I'm inclined to consider Bay City West and Bay City part of the same entity (maybe eastside and westside
a la
 Tulsa and Portland (which both contain similar water-based divisions).

Wholly agreed.

There is a crashed spacecraft of pigs on an islet.  Sorry but it IS The Bay of Space Pigs!

The older regions are referred to as The Color Regions by people who talk about them. Exceptions being DaBoom, which they just call The Oldest Region

LOL I only know the tourist streets of San Francisco. It makes sense they'd have a sector for SF streets...

Many Lindens who got the axe had properties and Office Hours in Grasmere.

Although Torley now uses private estates, he still has an official parcel in Grasmere, hence the magenta and green on the map.

Bay City Westside is bad grammar altogether. You might be on the west side of Bay City, but those regions are Bay City West.  Manhattan's eastside/westside designations are slang with official communities such as Central Park West, Yorkville, Spanish Harlem, Washington Heights, etc.

Mari: I got the impression Moose Head Beach was part of Gulf of Lauren?

Holocluck Henly wrote:

There is a crashed spacecraft of pigs on an islet.  Sorry but it IS
The Bay of Space Pigs
!

Sorry, it's a Lake and Not a Bay. The person who originally named it as a Bay does not understand geography.

It's the only area with a derogatory title.

You have 3 sims that dont seem to belong to any named region.  These are Lane, Pippen and Takes.  It looks like you may have them part of the Great Lakes.  These should be in the new Sea of Fables.  They use to be part of the Lost Lakes.

Holocluck Henly wrote:

The older regions are referred to as The Color Regions by people who talk about them. Exceptions being DaBoom, which they just call The Oldest Region

That is not entirely correct. The color regions are so called because their names... are colors. Examples being Plum, Green, Brown, Blue, etc. By contrast, the San Francisco regions - Da Boom (which is a misnomer, as the alleyway in question is De Boom), Clyde, Federal, Dore, etc. - are named after San Francisco streets and alleyways.

Icarus Fallen wrote:

Nexus Prime, Darkwood: I wasn't sure about naming an individual sim ... this map is more about multi-sim regions. More to think about. Also, is the Darkwood all Darkwood anymore?

Nexus Prime may only be one sim (plus some land in a neighboring sim) but it is historically significant. It was one of the few themed communities that LL decide to help by donating land to. And is the oldest cyberpunk city in SL, founded in 3/26/03 or thereabouts when Bonifacio was brought online.

Hi, Yeso ... the way I created the divisions south and east of the sea of fables, including the "great lakes" was to go through Bino Arbuckle's SL Maps timeline and see when groups of sims had come online month by month,

Those three appeared in the same month as the Great Lakes, which is why I included them in that group.

There are similar outlying groups between the lost lakes and braunworth ... sims that came online with the Bear and Sammamish regions.

Awesome job, Icarus. Your map looks great.

I have a couple of suggestions.I have marked the areas in your map:

SansaraMap.jpg

The area marked red, part of the Hidden Lakes and Great lakes areas, are what in our community call the East River, hence the name of our community located there: the East River Community. This has been so since 2008 ( http://eastrivercommunity.posterous.com/pages/about-us-5 )

The large bay north-west of the East River marked green is the location of one of the oldest yacht club in SL, if not the oldest, the Mowry Bay Yacht Club (MBYC). The MBYC is a historical landmark for the sailing community. The bay there has always been called by residents and sailors of the sailing community as Mowry Bay. I believe it has been called as such since 2005-2006.

Here is a map of the area made by our cartographer, Elisha Paklena:

ercmap0810.jpg

Update: the image can't be enlarged here in the forum, so I add here a list of regions that would be included in the areas marked on your map:

East River (marked red) would include the regions of (west to east, north to south) Grizedale, Kirkstone, Brooks, Hardknott, Helvellyn, Muirhead, Munck, Macclaine, Whinlatter, Pippen. I would include McFee, Chong and Lane as well but that is debatable.

Mowry Bay (marked green) is located in the region of Hepurn, north of the region of Mowry.

leliel Mirihi wrote:

Nexus Prime may only be one sim (plus some land in a neighboring sim) but it is historically significant. It was one of the few themed communities that LL decide to help by donating land to. And is the oldest cyberpunk city in SL, founded in 3/26/03 or thereabouts when Bonifacio was brought online.

As a historical aside, the region name of Gibson was chosen for Nexus Prime not only because of the obvious nod to William F., but because their is a Gibson street in San Francisco. That said it would be historically accurate to keep Gibson, and Nexus Prime, as its own entity.

FWIW as well, Morris is named after a San Francisco street, while Rosedale, Kapor, and Smith are named after Philip Rosedale (Philip Linden), Mitch Kapor (Kapor Enterprises), and Jed Smith (Catamout Ventures).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.