Deleting win_crash_logger.exe

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ObviousAltIsObvious wrote:

just rename win_crash_logger.exe and it won't load. it is in the same folder as the viewer, and it will need to be renamed on each update.

Can I just delete it?

One additional question there btw: how did it get there at all? When I install/reinstall/update the viewer, I get the "can not install win_crash_logger.exe" message and I click on the ignore button. I always assumed that meant it wasn't installed but apparently it is.

it does do something useful, exactly what its name says.

Useful enough it's worth spending a third of my computer's cpu time on?

ChinRey wrote:

just rename win_crash_logger.exe and it won't load. it is in the same folder as the viewer, and it will need to be renamed on each update.

Can I just delete it?

It's a little habit in data processing to never delete a safe file, it's always better to rename it and the result will be the same.

AFAIK the installation of the viewer fails when the crash logger is still running. Failed to close with the viewer. A few weeks ago I had 3 of them running with each taking 25% (started the viewer 3 times during the day) of the CPU. Fortunately I haven't had that happen again with the Maintenance RC viewer. I use to check how it's doing in task manager, and it always shows 0 % CPU usage since then.

arton Rotaru wrote:

AFAIK the installation of the viewer fails when the crash logger is still running. Failed to close with the viewer. A few weeks ago I had 3 of them running with each taking 25% (started the viewer 3 times during the day) of the CPU.

This is beginning to sound like LL bought the whole thing from Norton. ;-)

"Tired of your old computer problems? Replace them with brand new ones!"

Yes, I do remember some occasions back when I did clean reinstalls on my old MacBook (which sadly has long gone to the Great Network In The Sky) without getting that error message.

ChinRey wrote:

This is beginning to sound like LL bought the whole thing from Norton. ;-)

"Tired of your old computer problems? Replace them with brand new ones!"

Hehe yeah, they keep us busy with this stuff, so that we don't get bored.

the loop that program sometimes gets stuck in usually goes along with a viewer crash at quit time.

when the process works normally it uses almost no CPU. the more crash dumps that get to viewer developers, the better, so it really is preferable to kill the occasional runaway crash logger than disable it altogether.

when the process works normally it uses almost no CPU.

I'm afraid that's not correct. It's not uncommon for it to use more than 25% of cpu time even when everything works as normal.

the more crash dumps that get to viewer developers, the better, so it really is preferable to kill the occasional runaway crash logger than disable it altogether.

Oh, I didn't think of that, very good point and more than enough reason on its own to kill it. A crash logger that reports back to the developers without asking the user for permission first is completely unacceptable and not something I will ever allow to run on my computer if I can possibly avoid it.

There is another more informative thread where Whirly and others are debating this topic. See THIS.

Rather than delete the crash logger, delete everything in the Program Files->SecondLifeViewer folder. Then reinstall the viewer. This is NOT a clean install and will not change your settings or chat logs.

The problem is an old version of the crash logged is hanging and never shutting down. When you install a new version of the viewer it cannot update the 'in use' file. There is no telling how old you crash logger is.

The cleaning and reinstall I'm recommending, not a real clean install, will make sure the crash logger gets updated. 

I suggest you restart your computer just before deleting the contents of the install folder. That resets your computer and closes all processes.

ChinRey wrote:

the more crash dumps that get to viewer developers, the better, so it really is preferable to kill the occasional runaway crash logger than disable it altogether.

Oh, I didn't think of that, very good point and more than enough reason on its own to kill it. A crash logger that reports back to the developers without asking the user for permission first is completely unacceptable and not something I will ever allow to run on my computer if I can possibly avoid it.

it used to be opt in, used to be a UI checkbox. Now is opt out. It got changed somewhere sometime

can disable in Debug Settings: DisableCrashLogger: set to True

+

ps

in my case I always sent crash info to LL even when was opt in. Is the fastest way to get stuff fixed to make my viewer go better

can file a JIRA but I find that when I am crashing then the hard data the devs get directly gets more immediate attention from them than pretty much every other ways combined

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.