Security Orb Creators and Owners

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1683 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

True, but you still have to be able to focus your camera on something and if there is nothing within your draw distance to focus on it is more difficult to zoom in on anything.

You can use camera controls to move your view down, but it takes forever. So practically speaking, yes, you're right.

17 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I honestly don't see them ever rolling out the same ban line / security orb rules for all of Mainland.

There's no indication at the moment that there is any intention to do so. I think, however, that it might depend on how well this seems to be working on the new continent.

Certainly, it would be in some ways a risky move applying it elsewhere.

15 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If they did allow the orb to apply up to 500m and then 1500m and above, that would handle most hovering peeping toms because they'd be roughly 500m away from you and thus would have to set the draw distance to that or more to see you and a lot of people's computer just flat can't handle a draw distance that high.

My computer is a potato and I can do it, although of course my FPS will then be nothing.

I’m still trying to understand why someone camming over and finding my brand name avatar on my brand name furniture is personal enough to warrant all this *modesty*. The avatar mesh is not me, it’s a Barbie doll more or less like everyone else’s.

What is specifically me is my avatar name and UUID and no security tool does a thing to hide it. 

I can see setting an orb to avoid awkward visitors. But that’s a different thing than trying to be somehow hidden. In any sense that has any non-RP meaning, you can’t hide at all.

33 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
53 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I honestly don't see them ever rolling out the same ban line / security orb rules for all of Mainland.

There's no indication at the moment that there is any intention to do so. I think, however, that it might depend on how well this seems to be working on the new continent.

They will not roll out the ban-line ban on the mainland because now that ban-lines are banned on LL homes it becomes another "perk" for Premium members, a.k.a. selling point. The fact is that the LL Homes are a *gated community* with a Home Owners Association, Linden Lab in charge, follow the Covenant or GTFO (and I don't mean the SL game). 

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

True, but you still have to be able to focus your camera on something and if there is nothing within your draw distance to focus on it is more difficult to zoom in on anything.

Nope, just set your camera so it doesn’t get blocked by land and then move it sideways using the controls, it will cut through everything. I do this all the time while I’m building or when I’d like to take a look at something I’m too lagged to physically get my avatar to. 

8 minutes ago, Brenda Archer said:

Nope, just set your camera so it doesn’t get blocked by land and then move it sideways using the controls, it will cut through everything. I do this all the time while I’m building or when I’d like to take a look at something I’m too lagged to physically get my avatar to. 

I always use my keyboard Ctrl & Alt keys with my mouse to cam around and zoom in/out, thus I'm constantly forgetting about the camera control thingy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I always use my keyboard Ctrl & Alt keys with my mouse to cam around and zoom in/out, thus I'm constantly forgetting about the camera control thingy.

The mouse is for sissies; Keyboard is QUEEN! (No intentional misandrism happening here, boys, it's just, you know, we are superior and stuffs, that's all):

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/All_keyboard_shortcut_keys

Pay particular attention to "Navigation and Camera" section.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

The mouse is for sissies; Keyboard is QUEEN! (No intentional misandrism happening here, boys, it's just, you know, we are superior and stuffs, that's all):

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/All_keyboard_shortcut_keys

Pay particular attention to "Navigation and Camera" section.

Way too old to change my computer navigation habits now.

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Way too old to change my computer navigation habits now.

Not gonna make old-person jokes because I can already feel my grandpapa's fist dropping hard onto the top of my head for disrespecting my elders. ~chortles~

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You can just open the People floater in Firestorm, right-click on the name of the person you want to look at, and select 'Zoom To'. Your camera will automatically go to where they are and follow them, without any effort on your behalf.

I did that to four people who were careening around my home region in Jeeps last night. I don't use orbs or banlines, so they were bashing into the walls of my home and just blasting around all over the place. I guess they were having fun off-roading, but if I'd been on the ground I would have been bloody annoyed at their constant smashing into my home. I was 1700m high in a skybox, but I was cammed onto the lead vehicle, until it hit the region crossing and what was clearly an orb of the person living on the edge of the next region, because the Jeep went flying backwards through the air, all the way across my region and into the one behind it. The other three vehicles followed it, and there they remained on the minimap: three motionless and one of them circling for about two hours. For all I know they're probably still there.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

You can just open the People floater in Firestorm, right-click on the name of the person you want to look at, and select 'Zoom To'. Your camera will automatically go to where they are and follow them, without any effort on your behalf.

I did that to four people who were careening around my home region in Jeeps last night. I don't use orbs or banlines, so they were bashing into the walls of my home and just blasting around all over the place. I guess they were having fun off-roading, but if I'd been on the ground I would have been bloody annoyed at their constant smashing into my home. I was 1700m high in a skybox, but I was cammed onto the lead vehicle, until it hit the region crossing and what was clearly an orb of the person living on the edge of the next region, because the Jeep went flying backwards through the air, all the way across my region and into the one behind it. The other three vehicles followed it, and there they remained on the minimap: three motionless and one of them circling for about two hours. For all I know they're probably still there.

It sounds like the solution might be worse than the problem in that case.

When I ran a sim I would often use the Zoom to function to check out suspicious characters on the sim, if they had been reported to me. I even got so good at remote viewing I could be dancing at an event chatting while camming 2000m away and doing some repairs and building in a different area.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Point blank, if they're going to do anything at all related to said changes they need to keep them right where they are. 

There is no reason whatsoever to roll them anywhere else. 

Especially with how much they charge for Tier, coupled with the absolutely insane prices users place on Mainland plots. 

"Go to an Estate then!"

No.

Go buy or rent your own sim. 

See how that "works"?

Keep saying you want a community or a collaboration... It goes both ways you know. 

Personally, I'd have no problem with Linden Lab making a whole Continent with access ways and such for vehicle users built in. 

Do not force it on existing plots. Ever. 

Actually the insane prices users place on mainland plots would be a good reason to roll the changes out more widely. The high priced mainland are in areas protected from banlines with rights of way. Land value drops significantly when that is affected.

If you have a parcel in the hidden lakes area or Central area you may well being paying high prices for the protected waterways only to find your route obstructed down stream when someone comes in and puts up aggressive banlines and orbs on a tricky corner, or over waterways adjacent to the protected waterway without markers. The individual's actions will and does wipe out tens of thousands of value from all the plots up stream.

Community and collaboration does go both ways, and for all the the reasons you have given, precisely why it would be a good idea even if unlikely.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

When I first toured the new Linden area I was impressed with the details and how it was executed. I was, however, extremely disappointed at all the ban lines. I find ban lines very distracting and quite frankly unnecessary. While sailing through the region I lost three boats in ten minutes. Was I intentionally trying to "invade" somebodies space? No! All you have to do is very slightly tick a ban line and POOF your boat is gone. This causes great frustration to say the very least. Upon a second visit to this new region I was overjoyed to see that the ban lines were all gone! It was boating time once again, and not one boat did I lose. I do not intentionally try to invade a person's private property or privacy, but an occasional tick in a tight passage is unavoidable.

I do support security orbs for use on ones property with a delay setting to allow for a passing vehicle or boat in an area that is quite tight. Even with a delay, a security does it's job. It will eject those who are lingering for no good reason. It think ban lines should simply be banned totally.

• 3 months later...

I just had an idea you couldn't! I've checked all the settings and can't find anything.....I wrote the created but no response.

I am wondering what is the best way to keep pervs from just dropping into my private mainland house? They've got so they just pop in invisible sometimes and just take advantage of the furniture and even once my baby's blanket on the floor!

I see all the ppl who do not like the ban lines, so I hesitate to use those.  So...any ideas at all? Thanks! and thanks for the response, Solar! :)

Well, if you're not there, it doesn't make much difference who visits.  As long as you haven't set your parcel up as a public sandbox, they can't rez garbage there, and nobody can ever mess with your stuff unless you gave them permission.  If you are there when you get an unwanted visitor, you can always eject/ban them yourself.  You don't need an orb to do that.

28 minutes ago, LaurelleTolantes said:

I see all the ppl who do not like the ban lines, so I hesitate to use those. 

if you want to use the banlines... dó so, others have nothing to say about your chosen protection at the mainland.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Well, if you're not there, it doesn't make much difference who visits.  As long as you haven't set your parcel up as a public sandbox, they can't rez garbage there, and nobody can ever mess with your stuff unless you gave them permission.  If you are there when you get an unwanted visitor, you can always eject/ban them yourself.  You don't need an orb to do that.

It does matter sometimes. You might have a few (or even a lot) friends that you enjoy having at your place and happy to allow them to use it for their needs even if you're not around. You probably don't want some random trolls to drop on their heads harassing them/forcing them to leave, do you?

Two solutions are: orb with access list, where you add friends as "guests" or orb without access list, but you add every single of those friends as admins, so they'd be able to eject unwanted visitors. I would say that first way is way easier and safer.

And yes, some people are easier about their virtual property than others. So if you don't mind your place being public, it's your choice and right. I, personally, do mind. It's maybe virtual and pixels, but it's my home and not some public club/bar/playground for people I never seen. So until I got my region (which is also not public and never will be) and I was renting parcels in private islands, I always had orb on.

56 minutes ago, LaurelleTolantes said:

I am wondering what is the best way to keep pervs from just dropping into my private mainland house? They've got so they just pop in invisible sometimes and just take advantage of the furniture and even once my baby's blanket on the floor!

Get the orb AND use banlines if needed too. Decent, but pricy orb is caspersafe. It keeps the track of all visitors, returning visitors and more on the webpage. It also has other good features, which you might or might not need.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

It does matter sometimes. You might have a few (or even a lot) friends that you enjoy having at your place and happy to allow them to use it for their needs even if you're not around. You probably don't want some random trolls to drop on their heads harassing them/forcing them to leave, do you?

Two solutions are: orb with access list, where you add friends as "guests" or orb without access list, but you add every single of those friends as admins, so they'd be able to eject unwanted visitors. I would say that first way is way easier and safer.

And yes, some people are easier about their virtual property than others. So if you don't mind your place being public, it's your choice and right. I, personally, do mind. It's maybe virtual and pixels, but it's my home and not some public club/bar/playground for people I never seen. So until I got my region (which is also not public and never will be) and I was renting parcels in private islands, I always had orb on.

Get the orb AND use banlines if needed too. Decent, but pricy orb is caspersafe. It keeps the track of all visitors, returning visitors and more on the webpage. It also has other good features, which you might or might not need.

Thanks so much! 

On 6/15/2016 at 10:38 PM, Ilithios Liebknecht said:

There are plenty of ways orb owners and creators can make orbs less of a nuisance, some of which are discussed in this thread.

However... If the orb owners who are a nuisance actually cared about not being a nuisance, this wouldn't even be an issue. It is already easy enough to keep your orb off when you're not there and  to set the warning to a reasonable level, and many orb owners do this. The orb owners who are the problem are not a problem because the technology doesn't exist to do things better. They are a problem because they simply don't care that they're a nuisance. So they wouldn't bother to get the orbs that have these non-nuisancing features.

I suspect it wouldn't sell well either.

A lot of people WANT they security orb to cause maximum disruption on whoever it catches, it's not just protection, for a lot of people it's all about dishing out punishment.

On 4/18/2019 at 2:28 PM, KyleKC said:

All you have to do is very slightly tick a ban line and POOF your boat is gone.

I've requested a few times on the jira already to add ban lines as volumes into the physic system so that vehicles actually collide with them without entering the parcel but that doesn't appear to be possible without a lot of work.

• Thanks 4

I am fairly certain I have said this in this thread - or one like it - before but...

While the two parcels I do have are each in places the general public does not often go (one a Linden Home and the other a 4096 on an Island) the way I aproach their security would not change if these were mainland parcels (and quite frankly one of the reasons I detest the way the new Homes continent is set up). The LH plot is often set to be Access List only as I use it as a Retreat (it is even named as such) that I and my friends can use. On rare occasions it will be left open for "guests" to flop in. Yes, the permissions are set to prevent non-group members from rezzing and such, that's not the point.

The 4096 has several "layers" to it, two of those layers set with a security system. Both of these are set to allow group members and admins as well as a Whitelist of specified users, said whitelist for one being empty right now. The entire parcel is also covered by a third security system which allows admins, group members and a sizable whitelist to have access - this thrid system is rarely turned on owing to the nature of the other systems but does see a bit of use.

I personally find the notion that if one is not onlne then one should not bother with such things to be ... Well I'll put it this way: I log in to talk with friends, spend time with them and perhaps have a little fun every now and then. I am not going to waste my time kicking/banning individuals from my home parcels nor with ignoring them when they decide to IM me and throw invective my way for daring to remove them from my home (it is not a shop or any other sort of purely public spot) - simply put, I'm not wasting what time I do have. 

• Like 3

Because I dream of unicorns and fart rainbows (as any elegantly progressive woman does!), I want to take a maybe more positive approach to this issue for a moment?

Rather than criticizing those who choose -- as it is generally their right to do -- to close off and restrict access to their land, what if we focus instead on the generosity of those who take the opposite approach?

Second Life might, just possibly (although I'm doubtful) survive just on the basis of the money made from tier. Maybe the platform could persist as a sort of disconnected bundle of armed personal fortresses?

But how that would impoverish this place!

One of the most important things that makes Second Life vibrant and exciting, and to a really large degree powers concurrency, are those who build wonderful, beautiful, and fun places that they choose to share with everyone. I really and truly marvel when Inara's blog, or the Destination Guide, or just word of mouth, leads me to a place that has obviously been built not merely with labour and money, but with love and passion. And what gives that love and passion real value, far in excess of the time and money sunk into it, is that the creators and owners want to share it: our enjoyment of what they have created becomes their enjoyment of it.

On a more modest scale I'd also like to thank those who choose not to put up ban lines or use quick-trigger security orbs for their smaller, but still cherished and loved personal space. Sometimes it's not about necessarily inviting someone into your living room, but rather about caring enough about others that you choose not to erect unsightly "privacy walls," or ugly ban lines, or a security orb with a 0 to 5 second delay. Being generous doesn't necessarily mean not retaining your privacy: sometimes it's about the way you choose to restrict access.

@LaurelleTolantes, this is ultimately why a great many land owners and renters "do not like the ban lines": it's because they care about the community of which they see themselves to be a part.

Without people like this -- outward looking, community oriented, open, and generous -- SL would be reduced to shopping malls and box stores, sandwiched between little islands of isolation. I know I wouldn't be here were that the case, and I know also that I speak for others.

I'm sure that there are good reasons for choosing to restrict access to one's own land. And of course it is a right, and one you've paid for, to do so. But that's all the more reason to celebrate and be grateful for those who choose not to do so.

Right. Well, my next episode of Care Bears is loaded, and ready to watch, so I'm off. Thank you for listening!

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1683 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.