Jump to content
Slee Mayo

Security Orb Creators and Owners

Recommended Posts

I have a simple take on all this.  If I get thrust out by a security orb, I go back and find the name of the owner, then I add them to the long list of those banned from my sims (where my own security system in in place).

It's one of the virtual life's little pleasures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Not much, I'm guessing.  I can't imagine many people who are willing to keep paying land fees, Premium membership, rent, whatever, for a year or more without logging in.  Not saying that it doesn't happen, but there can;t be a lot of people like that.

It happens a LOT more than you'd think. Whenever I find planes and other craft stuck on ban lines I tend to message both the craft owner and the land owner letting them both know the craft is there (usually loudly at full throttle) and once I've done that, if in a few days it isn't retrieved and I notice, I'll go to investigate if they'd been online and ignored it, or if they've just not been online. Turns out, quite often, they're a year or more, or close to a year, since log in. I saw one that wasn't online for like 2-4 years. In fact the sim to our direct south is owned by a group, created and owned by the group owner, and when we messaged him about possibly developing on it (the entire sim is left empty minus some aircraft stuck on the sim edges) he said "Oh, do I still own that?" He's been online but didn't even notice he owned an entire sim. He still hasn't addressed it, either. Which goes to show, a lot of folks really do just pay for land meaninglessly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again showing my travelling ignorance...So if you're travelling in a vessel or vehicle, and it gets stuck in a ban line, you can't just pick it up? You have to leave it there? And if it was no copy, that's just it, you'll have to buy another? 

I get that people don't want randoms on their land, but that seems a bit harsh, especially since, if someone's in a vehicle, chances are they were just trying to pass by.



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Again showing my travelling ignorance...So if you're travelling in a vessel or vehicle, and it gets stuck in a ban line, you can't just pick it up? You have to leave it there? And if it was no copy, that's just it, you'll have to buy another? 

I get that people don't want randoms on their land, but that seems a bit harsh, especially since, if someone's in a vehicle, chances are they were just trying to pass by.



 

The vehicle gets "stuck" and you are unable to retrieve it because you don't have estate or build rights there. Way back in the dark ages you could contact a Linden to come and return the vehicle. Now... you have to file a support ticket or try to find and contact whoever has estate rights to return it.

Sometimes vehicles can be "lost in the ether" (goes off sim with no surrounding sims) and the only way to get it back is to file a ticket. That used to happen a lot on sim crossings. Things that get lost in the ether can't always be retrieved.

It's not the fault of the parcel/landowner. It's just how SL was coded in the dark ages.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Again showing my travelling ignorance...So if you're travelling in a vessel or vehicle, and it gets stuck in a ban line, you can't just pick it up? You have to leave it there? And if it was no copy, that's just it, you'll have to buy another? 

I get that people don't want randoms on their land, but that seems a bit harsh, especially since, if someone's in a vehicle, chances are they were just trying to pass by.



 

NEVER buy rezzable things that are no-copy. (Especially) vehicles, furniture, anything. Because anything can cause a hiccup on the grid and it goes away forever. If it's no-copy then it's... well, gone forever.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love SL but given everything that's wrong with it, I do sometimes wonder why it remains as addictive as it is. There are just so many ridiculous things that can go wrong and ruin everything, even if you don't include Goreans.
 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I love SL but given everything that's wrong with it, I do sometimes wonder why it remains as addictive as it is. There are just so many ridiculous things that can go wrong and ruin everything, even if you don't include Goreans.
 

Bahaha! And if you've ever read even one of those really badly-written books, you'd know there are no Goreans whatsoever in SL. None, Zip, zilch, nada.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I love SL but given everything that's wrong with it, I do sometimes wonder why it remains as addictive as it is. There are just so many ridiculous things that can go wrong and ruin everything,

I've noticed the same thing about Real Life™, and yet I'm strangely addicted to it too.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I love SL but given everything that's wrong with it, I do sometimes wonder why it remains as addictive as it is. There are just so many ridiculous things that can go wrong and ruin everything, even if you don't include Goreans.
 

It’s the furries, isn’t it? We’re just so cute that you’d hate to be without us, right? 🙂

Edited by Female Winslet
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Female Winslet said:

It’s the furries, isn’t it? We’re just so cute that you’d hate to be without us, right? 🙂

The furries are lovely. I always kept hearing about all this tension between furries and humans but I personally never experienced any. I haven't met many furries as I don't tend to go to places where they congregate, but the ones I met have always been very friendly and sweet. Goths are lovely too. I couldn't be one, I love colour and sunlight too much, but I never met one who wasn't lovely.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Bahaha! And if you've ever read even one of those really badly-written books, you'd know there are no Goreans whatsoever in SL. None, Zip, zilch, nada.

I don't think the average SL Gorean has ever read any book that wasn't machine washable. I don't really like to get into the "who's truly braindead Gorean" debate for various reasons ("no true Scotsman"). I do however have enough experience of the place and the books to be making a very informed judgement when I dismiss them as being, at the very best, a bunch of plonkers whose 500-year-old messiah is almost as hateful, dimwitted and punchable as what remains of the Tory Party. God I wish he'd just go down the drain like they're doing right now. They've both been circling it long enough.

But I will give them this: their Clockwork Orange dialect has served us well. It's impressive when your made-up, baby talk term for "slave" isn't actually a word, but the band that had a hit in 1983 with Too Shy. I don't think even Klingon and Valyrian managed that.

So anyway, sorry, I know we should be talking about security orbs. Something about the idea of an unnecessarily antisocial, rotund object that repels people made me think of Goreans. Dunno why.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have mixed emotions right now about SL Gor. I’ve met plenty of wonderful lovely Goreans, including BDSM liberal people and pew pew fighters who just like medieval weapons. But the US has a powerful political faction that’s trying to turn us into the _Handmaid’s Tale_. So while I have no problem with Gor as a kink, I can’t promote it as a religion. 

Like security orbs, some things should only affect your own land. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I don't think the average SL Gorean has ever read any book that wasn't machine washable. I don't really like to get into the "who's truly braindead Gorean" debate for various reasons ("no true Scotsman"). I do however have enough experience of the place and the books to be making a very informed judgement when I dismiss them as being, at the very best, a bunch of plonkers whose 500-year-old messiah is almost as hateful, dimwitted and punchable as what remains of the Tory Party. God I wish he'd just go down the drain like they're doing right now. They've both been circling it long enough.

But I will give them this: their Clockwork Orange dialect has served us well. It's impressive when your made-up, baby talk term for "slave" isn't actually a word, but the band that had a hit in 1983 with Too Shy. I don't think even Klingon and Valyrian managed that.

So anyway, sorry, I know we should be talking about security orbs. Something about the idea of an unnecessarily antisocial, rotund object that repels people made me think of Goreans. Dunno why.

My main point is if you know your site, then you will be scolded, chastised, maybe even banned from some places. Just saying that they call it "Gor" in Sl, but according to what is in the books I've read, it's barely a facsimile. As long as you keep that in mind about it and ignore the drama over "that's so not Gorean" nonsense, then it's GTG.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am pleased to report that I have joined the movement about rezzing the obelisks! I have put some on my land and I have acquired some additional small advertising parcels where I have razzed them too. I have also created a small, transparent prim that tells how to get an obelisk if you want one. Since someone else seems to be focused on Jeogeot, I put mine on Sansara. I understand that there have already been some hateful instant messages and some threats made by some of the benevolent people who feel that they should be able to do anything and everything with their land no matter how it affects everyone else, so I departed from my usual rule on auto return. Instead of a three hour auto return, I made these one minute. That way they are still friendly places where somebody can read as a vehicle that they lost in someone ban line or a sim crossing, but less inviting to someone who might decide to make trouble as a grief. Hopefully I made them look nice. 🙂 I tried to make them so they practice what they preach.

Here are a couple of photos of mine.

On a road in Sansara:

8dcff23fd0ddbdcd8aa8c4dffb833e62.png

And on one of my parcels:

0c44d7edfaabab9038077f3088bcba82-png.jpg

Yes, okay, I admit it. It's a cat thing to climb up on top of it.

Edited by Female Winslet
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those obelisks appear along roads in parts of Corsica every kilometer or so. Each with its own little roadside park.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Again showing my travelling ignorance...So if you're travelling in a vessel or vehicle, and it gets stuck in a ban line, you can't just pick it up? You have to leave it there? And if it was no copy, that's just it, you'll have to buy another? 

I get that people don't want randoms on their land, but that seems a bit harsh, especially since, if someone's in a vehicle, chances are they were just trying to pass by.



 

It is actually advantageous to leave it there as a warning to other travellers. I can think of one banline marked by a boat for well over a year now that very helpfully makes navigating that waterway a lot easier.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, animats said:

Those obelisks appear along roads in parts of Corsica every kilometer or so. Each with its own little roadside park.

Isn't it great?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all the time i've been in SL, auto-return has never costed me a cent.

Just because you CAN be a dirtbag without repercussion doesn't mean you have to be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

alternative text 🤡

6496be489a1c4e1b2a021487d02a997d.png

You forgot "Repeat Yourself".

And "Say the Same Thing Over and Over."

And "Be Redundant."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

In all the time i've been in SL, auto-return has never costed me a cent.

Just because you CAN be a dirtbag without repercussion doesn't mean you have to be.

Or that you can continue to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

alternative text 🤡

6496be489a1c4e1b2a021487d02a997d.png

Well, feel free to create your own obelisk saying that. 🙂

One thing though, that last bit kind of makes a bit of the personal politics of some of our kind, benevolent, unselfish people who insist on doing whatever they like no matter how it affects others rather obvious. I mean, it was obvious before, but I have intentionally not said anything . . . Still, I’m not sure something that so echoes “Make America Great Again” is the best approach to rallying support. But, hey, go for it if it makes you happy! 

Edited by Female Winslet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Female Winslet said:

Well, feel free to create your own obelisk saying that. 🙂

One thing though, that last bit kind of makes a bit of the personal politics of some of our kind, benevolent, unselfish people who insist on doing whatever they like no matter how it affects others rather obvious. I mean, it was obvious before, but I have intentionally not said anything . . . Still, I’m not sure something that so echoes “Make America Great Again” is the best approach to rallying support. But, hey, go for it if it makes you happy! 

I think you missed the sarcasm as indicated by the clown face.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

You forgot "Repeat Yourself".

And "Say the Same Thing Over and Over."

And "Be Redundant."

Those three things apply to both sides of the argument. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 11:51 AM, Amina Sopwith said:

Again showing my traveling ignorance...So if you're traveling in a vessel or vehicle, and it gets stuck in a ban line, you can't just pick it up? You have to leave it there? And if it was no copy, that's just it, you'll have to buy another?

If it's yours, you can edit it and move it clear of the ban line. Then turn the "Physics" checkbox on, and you're ready to go.

The bikes I sell, and my personal helicopter and boat, do this automatically. As long as the root prim of the vehicle hits the ban line before the avatar, this is easily recoverable. Doesn't help much for fixed-wing aircraft, though. Once freed of the ban line, they can't shift to reverse and get away from the trouble spot. They'll just bang into it again.

When the avatar hits first, and it's not allowed in, it gets ejected from the vehicle. If you're in an aircraft, you fall to the ground. This sucks. That's what usually leaves aircraft stuck in midair. The owner can't find their vehicle, up there somewhere, maybe out of draw range.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...