Is it against ToS To Quote Someone from Local Chat without their permission and place it in profile?

Krissie Earst

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have had someone message me that they used my words in their profile from their local chat... i am wondering if this is against ToS,  if it is I have already reported her for using my words without my permission..

Please get back to me with this.

Krissie Earst.

3 answers to this question

Yes, no, and it depends.

Someone else can quote chapter and section of the ToS. Technically, yes ToS says don't. In practical application it very much depends. Quoting entire conversations can be a problem. But, I blog about SL and the technical developements. I have huge posts that are transcripts of the in-world conversations. So, public discussions are pretty much exempt.

There are pages of RP stories that are transcripts of SL in-world converations. Most of those are premitted as the regions they are happening in advise players this is what is going to happen. Various groups have various rules. So, there is an aspect of WHERE the conversation happened.

Like real life it depends in a large part on the expectation of privacy. If people thought the conversation was private, it is likely to be considered a violation. ToS in general is written to assume all conversations are private.

Then there is fair use... a concept that allows quotes of what people said and even parts of copyrighted material. How much of a conversation can be used is a debatable gray area.

If you didn't know, why did you file an abuse report?

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.