help

ri13

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2871 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

Faster in what way?  ALL of the viewers use the same basic open source code that Linden Lab provides.  The differences between them are in interface design.  Firestorm takes a lot of parameters that are only acessible with Debug Settings in the standard viewer and puts them into user menus (mostly in Preferences).  It won't make your avatar run any faster or slower than the Linden Lab viewer does.  It takes more memory, so some residents with older, slower computers may have performance issues, but that's an issue with their hardware.

• Like 2

"Fast" isn't a useful attribute with which to describe a viewer. It will differ too heavily, based on a hundred-and-fifty different variables.

If you notice performance differences between viewers, use the "fastest" for your particular system.

So try for yourself.

• Like 2

"Fast" is not an attribute to descripe any viewer. The viewer has probably the least impact on your experiance.

If your connection is slow or not stable, your viewer can't do much.

If your hardware isn't up to the task and your settings are too high, your viewer can't do much.

And thats about it.

• Like 2

Everyone is giving squishy answers.

Define what you mean by 'FAST'.

Performance is generally measured in render time and Frames per Second: FPS. Performance is affected by many factors. Your computer, Internet connection, RL distance from the servers and your CDN, your video settings computer side, and the viewer's graphics settings.

So, for my hardware, NVIDIA settings, and viewer settings... Catznip is my fastest viewer. I get the most FPS from it. OR... I can change a couple of Firestorm settings get better FPS from it.

If one doesn't mind a V1 user interface Cool VL and Singularity can rack up some impressive FPS numbers.

But, unless I tell you my settings you are not likely to get the results I get from the same viewer. And if you don't have the computer I have (CPU, memory chips - they come in slow and fast versions, motherboard, drive speed, video card) you may not see anything even remotely related to my results.

So... while technically there probably is a fastest viewer, there is no practical fastest viewer.

When Inara and I did viewer performance ratings, we tested the viewers in two standard locations in world. One at about 3,000m in a desolate empty region. The other was in an avatar crowded shopping mall with a load of textures. For the results to have any meaning we had to tediously tweak all the viewer settings to be similar. In recent years the performance difference between comparable viewers has been negligible. (I believe comparing V1 and V4 viewers is unrealistic.)

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2871 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.