Where can I send suggestions for improving Social Island?

Rufferta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2871 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just visited Social Island 7 because I wanted to see what the new user experience is like. I was impressed with some of the tutorials - the maze, the boats, and the parrot, but the navigation path wasn't clear and when I got to the "Prize" area there wasn't anything I wanted to buy with the 'special' lindens I got from completing the tutorials.

Worst part was, the first time I went out the portal marked "Popular Places" I ended up underwater in Isabel. I was able to fly up to a dock and walk past a large cyclinder marked "Under Construction" to some place labeled "Orient Help Group" with four boxes of "freebies" and ads for different businesses...Looking on the map I found I was apparently supposed to have landed at the Isabel Info Hub, but that really wasn't much better.

I went back to the Social Island portals three more times. Once the "Popular Places" portal wasn't working, but gave me a landmark to Pfaffenthal 1867 , (Pfaffenthal Vauban (169, 25, 29) - General )- which was much more interesting, and the second time through the "Popular Places" teleport gate  I ended up in Caledon Oxbridge, which is one of my favorite places so that was a good choice.

I tried the "Art" portal and ended up in a rather depressing installation which I will not name.

So, it seems like the portals from Social Island 7 send you to random destinations, and unless you remember to make a landmark of the teleport hub at Social Island you may or may not end up somewhere that will make you want to further your experience with Second Life.

I had heard that the each telehub would give you a notecard of similar places to visit, like a list of art installations, or a list of popular places. Has anyone else tried them and gotten different results?

So, who would I contact to suggest improvements to the new user experience? I can't see anywhere on the abuse report where it says "Linden Labs sent me to a dorky place with no way to get back."

(Didn't feel like editing the last post)

I created a new alt a few months ago because I needed a total newbie for permission testing on my land and to see what the new user experience was like. I had slightly better experience with the portals, but many of them were deserted or not particularly interesting. LL needs to tend to the LMs in the portals more often; places disappear or degrade over time.

BTW, you needn't specify which Social Island. Social Island 1 through whatever number (maybe 10? -- not online to look) are duplicates.

I've missed several of LL's attempts at a new user experience, but I thought this one was a big improvement over the ones I have seen.

Parhelion Palou wrote:

I suggest this:

Whoa. Where did this come from? Has this been around for a while? Does anybody in LL ever see the suggestions, or do they go straight to the bit bucket?

Not knowing any better, I would have used the jira for this. This other, parallel "Suggestions" path is news to me.

Parhelion Palou wrote:

I suggest this:

This topic was also covered in another thread, especially the last page:

Wow! Thank you - I didn't know that there was a Suggestions Box.

BTW, I was on Social Island #7 because the map indicated that that one had the least visitors at the time. I think that true newbies will be assigned to the Social Islands randomly.

Yes, this is a great improvement to older learning centers, although I found it a bit grandiose. When I was first learning I spent a lot of time at Virtual Ability Island, which had a much more homey feel.

Yes, the best new user experiences are at places like Virtual Ability, Caledon Oxbridge, New Citizens Incorporated, and several others. Linden Lab is restarting the old gateway program that allowed new users to go to community gateways rather than use the Linden new user system. I know that Helping Haven and Firestorm are in it; I hope some of my other favorites are as well.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Parhelion Palou wrote:

I suggest this:

Whoa. Where did this come from? Has this been around for a while? Does anybody in LL ever see the suggestions, or do they go straight to the bit bucket?

Not knowing any better, I would have used the jira for this. This other, parallel "Suggestions" path is news to me.

I read about Suggestions awhile ago, probably in this forum. I had to search for the link; it was probably meant to be hidden even better. I hope LL looks at the suggestions, but they might've emulated the real life office suggestion box that empties into a shredder.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Since 2014. https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/A-New-Way-to-Share-Your-Suggestions-for-Second-Life/ba-p/2867935

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2871 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.