Particle problem

XxZeroxX Avedon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all, im having issues with a preset particle system ...im not scripter, i have basic knowledge about it but, im more in desing than scripting...so here is the problem:

Im making a particle system, and particles have a texture, but the problem comes with it cuz, the texture just rotate with the camera, i mean, if i move the camera angle, the texture is all the time looking at camera, like most ppl do with grass fx, but i dont want that effect in this script, so what parameter do that? and how can i delet it, i want particles look at the direction i move for example, ty

standard particles are 2D objects (sprites) not 3D, so they always render flat on the screen

is kinda possible to get standard particles to look like they are pointing in a direction, by drawing textures in a paint program to simulate depth and orientation

other alternative is to use ribbon particles which are 3D objects. Look into PSYS_PART_RIBBON_MASK on the wiki here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlParticleSystem

• Like 2

Ohhh didnt knew it, i used particles before in 3d external editors for render purpose, but particles in editors works in diferent way than games particles like i see now....well i understand what you said about the ribbon, but, what if I use the same particle system but instead of drop a particle, it drops a cube, as a particle, is it posible? or I have to change the whole script? anyways ill keep trying with ribbon now, thanks for the feedback

XxZeroxX Avedon wrote:

but, what if I use the same particle system but instead of drop a particle, it drops a cube, as a particle, is it posible?

No. A particle script can only emit two dimensional particles, not three dimensional objects. You can use a rezzer to rez temporary objects but that's a completely different script.

XxZeroxX Avedon wrote:

anyways ill keep trying with ribbon now,

Without knowing exactly what you're making, you may also take a look at the PSYS_PART_FOLLOW_VELOCITY_MASK flag. What it does is rotate the texture so the top points in the direction the particle is moving

• Like 1

XxZeroxX Avedon wrote:

what if I use the same particle system but instead of drop a particle, it drops a cube, as a particle, is it posible? or I have to change the whole script?

we cant use llParticleSystem to drop objects. We do have to do this a different way and the wearer will always need rez capabilities

SL examples of this are skywalkers and skywriters

+

skywalker is where we rez foot plates in front of us as we run. When we jump then the plate rezzes up a bit. Crouch then rez down. Turn then rez slightly left or right

effect is we can run up and down thru the sky without flying, leaving a trail of plates behind us, often glowing and/or emitting particles themselves. Using a timer to fade the plate to 100% transparency and finally llDie() to clean up behind us

+

skywriter is where we go into mouselook and use the trigger button to rez objects at a distance from us in the sky, as we drag the mouse while firing, as fast as the server allows

effect is we can freehand draw lines, circles, form letters, etc. Again using llDie() on a timer to clean up

+

eta: ps

another writer thats really cool is a crayon writer that we wear. The crayon tip is a prim we are wearing. In mouselook the prim follows the camera. When we press the fire button it emits a short burst of particles

takes a bit of work to script this tho. but is really cool. Can freehand write messages in front of us. Like 'Hi! [person name]' Just have to learn how to write backwards for them to read it 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.