Windows 10: DNS cannot resolve host name, how can I fix?

StolenMadWolf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2869 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am using an Acer laptop that was a while back upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 before I got Second Life. Recently I just got this error, DNS cannot resolve the host name when ever I try to log into Second Life through the Viewer. It has worked where I am at before so this caught me of guard.

Sometimes the Viewer won't log in at all, whilst other times it has let me log in for a minute before it crashes, at which point the former has happened. It also seems to completely knock out my laptop's internet at the same time forcing me to restart the computer.

I've done a clean uninstall with the Viewer and when that didn't work, I flushed my DNS cache and that hasn't worked either. I just can't get on to Second Life.

So, I'm not sure what to do now, any ideas?

1 answer to this question

When you have DNS problems the whole Internet goes wonky. Read through: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/ -- It will explain how to add an alternate DNS service. It doesn't have the clicks for Win 10. But, you can type DNS Settings into Cortana/Search or Google Win 10 Change DNS Settings to get the clicks.

The article at the link explains some of the gotcha's left out by most articles on changing DNS servers.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2869 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.