HUDs not visible

CaseyFenfox

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2869 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Most of my Huds will not appear on screen. A few of them will attach to my character if I rez them on a body part but not all of them. I have about a dozen HUDs, one of which atm is actually able to work but I am afraid to remove it for fear of it not returning. A few HUDs appeared once and functioned great and when I removed them and then tried to add them back they never came back.

I have tried using a HUD that did appear to scroll out and look for something off screen, no help.

I have looked for somethign invisible (Alt+Shift+T), zilch.

I have tried turning off AA settings because I have an ATI card, nadda.

I have tried the Firestorm Viewer, neit.

I have tried all of the above in a script enabled sandbox, nope.

If anyone can solve this you will have my eternal gratitude... this is borderline making me want to toss the game aside.

2 answers to this question

I'm having a hard time understanding what you are trying to describe.  What sort of HUDs?  What do you mean by saying that a HUD appeared to "scroll out and look for something off screen"?

A HUD is nothing more than an object that you attach to your screen.  It doesn't even have to be scripted (although it would be pretty dull if it wasn't).  Rez a cube 0.3m x 0.3 m x 0.3m.  Name it, take it to your inventory, and then right click on it.  Select Attach To HUD and choose Center.  It's a HUD, right in the middle of your screen.  That's the way you attach any HUD manually.  If you detach it, your HUD will remember where it was attached the last time, and it will attach there again automatically if you just double click on it in your inventory.

When the HUD is attached, you can select it with your editor, the way that you edit any other object.  You can move it around with the green and blue arrows or rotate it.  If you scroll out with your mouse wheel, the outline of your screen will appear to shrink, and you will be able to see other HUDS that might be attached but outside the normal screen boundaries.

If your HUD is wandering off, it can only be doing that because it is scripted to wander off.  It can't wander away from you, though.  The worst it can do is wander beyond your screen's boundaries or rotate so that you'll have a hard time seeing it edge on.  If that happens, all you have to do is find it in your inventory and detach it.  Then, next time you attach it, make it nice and big and attach it to a new HUD attachment point.

• Like 3

Let's see if I get this right:

• You've checked if the HUDs are invisible with (I suppose you meant ctrl-alt-T, not alt-shift-T)
  • You've checked if the HUDs are off screen by scrolling out from an attached HUD
  • You've eliminated inventory cache issues by trying different viewers
  • You've tried a different sim
  • Some of the HUDs can be worn as regular wearables, others can't

That eliminates a lot of possible explanations. Unfortunately it seems to eliminate all possible explanations.

There are a few more things you can try though:

• Type ctrl-shift-1 to bring up the Statistics window. Do you have any packet loss? Is the ping sim time higher than ... say 400 ms or thereabouts? Problems like yours can be caused by poor connection but if so, they should happen more at random. It's still worth checking though.
  • Do the HUDs show up as worn in your inventory and in your Current Outfits folder and Appearance window?
  • Find a no script sandbox with short autoreturn (such as the one at Ambat) and try to rez some of the HUDs on the ground (preferably copyable ones, there is a very minor chance no-copy items will get lost forever). Do they appear? And if not, are they autoreturned? If you can't see them and they are stil autoreturned, it's clearly a problem with your computer. If they don't turn up and aren't eutoreturned, it's either your connection or the assets server.
  • Go to a low lag water sim (such as Bevel), remove everything from your avatar and try to wear one of the troublesome HUDs. If you can wear it there, it's almost certainly a connection problem.
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2869 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.