Why is everything gray?

Charolotte Caxton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

16 answers to this question

I see grey people too! Last time this happened was last Saturday and I was trying to take photos, but grey people kept getting in the way, after half an hour or so of some people absolutely not fading from grey, I had the need to teleport to another sim to help someone, when I teleported back, the grey people were no more.

Things staying gray is because the textures are not loading properly. Most likely this happens because the server don't manage to deliver the textures to your viewer. Which could be because of a glitch in the connection between you and the LL servers.

A few things you could try are these.

There could be a temporarily hiccup in your internet connection. Try to reset your router and modem and see if it helps.

Try disabling HTTP textures if they are on, or enable them if they are off in the Develop menu (which you enable in me->Preferences->Advanced). Myself, I keep HTTP textures off all the time because of the very issue you have. 

Play around with the Max bandwidth setting in me->Preferences->Setup. By playing around with it, I mean lower it. If this is set to high, you will get packet loss, and textures will not rez properly.

It could, in the end, just be a temporary thing that clears up after a while by itself.

Hope some of this helps.

- Luc -

• Like 2

Interesting, I have a quirky router, it doesn't download the SL client unless I change some settings, this is an odd quirk with some netgear routers. However it happily downloads whopping patches from a well known MMO. I'll check the HTTP texture settings first.

Luc, thanks for the explanations and hints. I did go back to one of the places that was giving me an especially bad problem with gray people and it had cleared up. Also, one place I went to everything was fine except for one persons face which remained gray. Odd.

The Netgear router that I know won`t work with SL is the DGN 1000, it can only stay connected for about 3 mins before it crashes out. Recently someone with their Wireless N 130 WNR 1000v3, was having the same problem though he managed to stay connected up to 7 mins, so I guess that one may not be SL friendly either.

I haven`t heard of any issues with Netgear routers that can stay connected to SL but cause problems inworld such as you described.

@Charlotte. YW. It is indeed strange how some textues never load or rez properly, while others do. It usually helps, when one avatar stays gray like that, to ask them to rebake. But if it is just some random person nearby, it is probably no big deal and not worth the bother.

@Peewee. Good clearup. I didn't remember what the Netgear issue was, so I thought I'd mention it. I will remember it. It seems unrlated to Charlotte's issue, but it might be useful in other cases.

- Luc -

So after I had unchecked http textures, most of my problems with gray matter were solved. Later on in my travels (read : shopping) I came upon a place where a lot of the building's exterior stayed gray. I put the check mark back by http textures and instantly the building's exterior appeared! :D

As a side note, I was at this one shopping mall and was noticing that the fencing around the park was gray. Upon closer inspection, it became apparent that gray was the color the fence was supposed to be. :P

@Charlotte. Good to hear you get textures to rez, even if it require a bit of work. There is definitely something wrong with either the transport of textures to the viewer, or the viewer's loading and drawing of the textures.

I've often wondered why some designers made things that were gray. Wouldn't everybody just think they were not rezzed properly? But a gray fence? What were they thinking? :D

@Peewee. Isn't it good that some things are easy to give a definite answer to? And if you appear like the smartest person in the world, that's just a bonus in my opinion. :) So, let's give a big shout out to Netgear for making at least one issue easy to help people with!

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.